Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4053: Campaign Pressure should be Sustained

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1992 17:04:38 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4053       October 8, 1992
          CAMPAIGN EFFORTS MUST BE SUSTAINED
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

           Campaign Efforts Must Be Sustained
           ==================================

     Up to 2 pm. Oct. 8 (Thursday), S1216 is still sitting on the
President's desk. Although both congressional and White House
sources have indicated that the President is likely to sign the
bill, no definite response has ever been given. Meanwhile, a
variety of sources, including some congressional offices, have
advised for further lobbying efforts. As the deadline is drawing
nearer and nearer, we can in no way take it for granted that the
President is going to sign it. The risk is simply too great for us
to take. (Congress will adjourn either today or tomorrow morning.)

     However, as we have repeatedly pointed out, the pressure that
can be generated by the HQ, including its Student Affairs
Committee, is limited. We need tens of thousands of students to
work with their professors and other American friends to promote
this cause. Senators and governors are much more likely to listen
to their constituents than to a national Chinese student
organization. Throughout the past week, the HQ has called for local
organizations to work on their senators and governors and ask them
to urge President Bush to sign the bill. Students in several
states, including California, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, and
Massachusetts, have done a great job. However, due to some messages
from the Student Affairs Committee, many schools have been looking
on with folded arms. Specifically, the "low key" strategy has been
interpreted as "no local action is needed." Based on discussions
with the Student Affairs Committee, the HQ concludes that this is
a misinterpretation. In fact, the question confronting us is not
"low key" or "high key," but whether or not our local organizations
should be involved in the lobbying efforts, because the
opportunity to generate pressure may be lost forever while we are
arguing about which "key" to tune in to. As long as we are well
organized and our message is positive, no harm will be done;
whereas if we just sit and wait, it might be too late for us to
act. We have only four more days and we do NOT know why so far the
President has not signed it.

     Therefore, the HQ hereby calls on all the local organization
to act immediately to generate more pressure. Here are some
guidelines:

     1. to seek support from professors, university presidents,
Asian American organizations, and other American friends to lobby
their Republican senators and governors and urge them to call, fax,
or write to the White House; the message should be: we are deeply
concerned over the safety of these Chinese students, please sign
the bill;

     2. to call the White House directly, thank the President for
his protection and express the hope that he will continue to shield
us from possible reprisal and persecution;

     3. to generate favorable public opinion by voicing our concern
to the news media; this will help convince senators and governors
that it is worth their effort to speak for Chinese students.

     Yesterday, the HQ tried to find a well-known American (or
Chinese American) who can get through the pre-screening of the
Larry King Life show and  talk to President Bush about the
protection bill. That idea was supported by Senator Kennedy's
office, our legal advisers, the HQ and IFCSS Student Affairs
Committee Chairman Zhao Haiqing. However, we did not find the
proper candidate.

     The HQ staff have been working hard to limit the chances for
President Bush to veto the bill. Today, the protection bill has
obtained the support of three powerful American organizations. The
HQ contacted the REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE. Mr. Chen, Director
of the Committee's Asian American Division has agreed to call the
White House to convey our concern.

     Another organization which has agreed to call and send a
petition to the White House is the ORGANIZATION OF CHINESE
AMERICANS, the most influential Chinese American organization in
this country. The HQ has provided sample letters and supporting
documents to the office of OCA.

     In addition, the GREATER WASHINGTON NETWORK FOR DEMOCRACY
IN CHINA, an organization composed of government employees, lawyers
and business people, has also sent letters to the White House
asking the President to sign the bill.

     If you are still confused as to "act" or "not act" after
reading this message, please call either the HQ or the Student
Affairs Committee.

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************