Subject: HQ NR-4055 Time to Say "Thank You"

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1992 19:09:10 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4055       October 9, 1992
                 TIME TO SAY "THANK YOU"
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

                It's Time to Say "Thank You"
                ============================

     After so many days of intensive lobbying and anxious waiting,
the '92 Chinese Student Protection Act has finally been signed into
law. At this moment of relief and joy, we should remember to to
express our appreciation to those who have helped us.

     First of all, we need to thank the senators and congressmen
who have helped shape and introduce this bill in both houses.
Without their efforts, there would not have been such a bill.
Senator Slade Gorton, Senator Edward Kennedy, Congressman Joe
Barton, and Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi deserve our special thanks.

     We should also express our appreciation to other senators and
congressman who have given unanimous support to our bill and have
demonstrated a high degree of cooperation in consideration of our
predicament.

     At the same time, we should be grateful to all the American
individuals and organizations, including Asian and Chinese American
societies, for their strong and much needed support. We are
especially grateful to the Organization of Chinese Americans and
the National Republican Committee's Asian Office, both provided
support at a crucial moment.

     Needless to say, we should not forget President George Bush,
who has provided us with initial protection and, by putting his
signature on this bill, has remained true to his word that no
Chinese student will be forced back against his or her will.

     Finally and most importantly, we need to thank our legal
advisors Burton Wides, Laura Reiff, John Mitchell, and Elaine Budd,
who, throughout the past years, have consistently volunteered their
time, resources, and professional expertise to IFCSS and whose
advice and guidance have led us through numerous twists and turns
to the current victory and will continue to benefit us in our
pursuit of democracy and freedom.

     The following is a sample letter. Modifications are
recommended, for we do not want to send thousands of letters of the
same wording.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
                        A Letter of Thanks

Dear ___

We learned with great relief and joy that President Bush had signed
S1216, the Chinese Student Protection Act. At this special moment,
we want to thank you for all your efforts in helping us secure this
protection without which we would be faced with reprisal and
persecution. By supporting this bill, you have also sent a clear
signal to the Chinese government that human rights do not know
borders. If the Chinese government refuses to grant freedom to its
people, the international community will.

With our own safety guaranteed, we have not forgotten our fellow
students and other dissidents who are still suffering in prison.
Wei Jingsheng has spent 13 years in prison, Liu Gang has been
tortured repeatedly, Wang Juntao was forced to go on hunger strikes
to get treatment for his hepatitis, and recently Shen Tong, Qi
Dafeng and Qian Liyun were detained for exercising their
constitutionally guaranteed rights. We want to once again reaffirm
our pledge that we will continue to fight for basic human rights in
China. And we know we can count on your continued support.

Thank you again for concern over our safety and your effort to help
bring freedom to the Chinese people.

Sincerely,

(signed)
---------------------------------------------------------------

Address of IFCSS legal advisors:

Burton Wides, Laura Reiff, and John Mitchell

Arent Fox Kintner Plotkin & Kahn
1050 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036-5339
Tel: (202) 857-6035
Fax: (202) 857-6395

Elaine Budd
Davis, Graham & Stubbs
Attorneys at Law
Suite 500
1200 19th St., N.W.
Washington D.C. 20036-2402

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************