Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4064: IFCSS Seeks to Consolidate 6.4. Foundation

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1992 15:17:29 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4064      November 5, 1992
        IFCSS SEEKS TO CONSOLIDATE "JUNE 4TH FOUNDATION"
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

        IFCSS Seeks to Consolidate "June 4th Foundation"
        ================================================

     After the "June 4th Massacre" in 1989, Chinese students across
the U.S. set up a number of June 4th Foundations to collect
donation for June 4th victims. However, because of limited
connections with democracy activists in China, much of this fund
has not been sent back. In the past two years, following the
example of the June 4th Foundation at Stanford University, quite a
few local foundations have transferred their fund to the IFCSS June
4th Foundation.

     Meanwhile, IFCSS has been firmly established as a non-profit
organization and gradually professionalized its operation. It has
also developed broad connections with people inside China. In
comparison with local CSS associations, IFCSS is in a much better
position to handle the relief fund. Recently IFCSS has set up a
Humanitarian Assistance Committee headed by Mr. Zhang Yalai,
himself a victim of "June 4th Massacre." This committee is working
closely with IFCSS Human Rights Committee and other concerned
groups to form a regular network for distributing the relief fund.

     With the "1989ers" leaving campus, there is a risk that the
money originally collected for June 4th victims may not be used for
such a purpose. Therefore, IFCSS calls on local foundations to
transfer their fund to the IFCSS June 4th Foundation for better
management.

     Attached here are "IFCSS June 4th Foundation Management
Regulations." If you need further information, please contact IFCSS
HQ at (202)347-0017.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Appendix

          IFCSS June 4th Foundation Management Regulations

1. The goal of the June 4th Foundation is to provide relief fund
for "June 4th" victims and their families as well as those who have
suffered political persecution as a result of their practice of
free speech, free thinking, free association and peaceful
demonstration; the Foundation also supports other activities aimed
at improving China's human rights situation, but expenditures
falling within this category should not exceed one-tenth of the
total allocation of the Foundation.

2. The legal person of IFCSS June 4th Foundation is IFCSS Board of
Directors.

3. IFCSS June 4th Foundation is exempt from federal income tax
under section 501 (a) of the Internal Revenue Code as an
organization described in section 501 (c) (3), which means
donations are tax deductible. The tax ID is 52-653928. The fund
cannot be used to support political activities in the U.S., such as
lobbying the U.S. Congress.

4. IFCSS Headquarters is in charge of the administration of the
Foundation, with the treasurer managing its account. All existing
financial regulations of IFCSS apply to the Foundation.

5. All expenditures of IFCSS June 4th Foundation must have original
receipts.

6. IFCSS June 4th Foundation must make a financial report to the
annual IFCSS Congress.

*********************************************************************
*                  IFCSS Headquarters Office                        *
*                  =========================                        *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping *
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
*                   The Missions of IFCSS                           *
* Promote freedom, democracy, human rights and rule of law in China *
* Assist the development of  scienece, culture and economy in China *
* Represent the interests of Chinese students and scholars in U.S.A *
* IFCSS is a non-profit organization and has tax-exempt status. To  *
* donate, please make checks payable to "IFCSS" and send to:        *
*   IFCSS, 733 15th St. N.W., Suite 440, Washington D.C., 20005"    *
*********************************************************************