Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4065: IFCSS Mass-Mailing Project: A Call for Help

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1992 15:22:44 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4064     November 5, 1992
           IFCSS NEEDS HELP IN MASS MAILING PROJECT
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

            IFCSS Needs Help in Mass Mailing Project
            ========================================

     Over the past months, IFCSS HQ has received around $20,000 in
donation, which provided a great relief to IFCSS's financial
strain. However, with an annual budget around $250,000 (1992-1993
Budget approved by IFCSS Council), IFCSS needs a much greater and
more stable financial base.

     It is common practice in the U.S. that a non-profit
organization secures fund from mass-mailing projects, that is, call
for donations by mailing out a large number of letters to potential
donors. Each organization has a group of devoted donors to whom it
returns for help once or twice a year. Right now, IFCSS is trying
to develop a similar list of contributors. We understand that there
are tens of thousands Americans as well as Chinese who support
IFCSS in its pursuit of democracy and freedom and we want you, our
fellow students, to help us reach people.

     There are several things you can do. 
     1. You can help us collect names and addresses of potential
donors (you do not have to be sure that they will contribute, a 10%
return rate for our fund-raising letters will be considered pretty
high). You can either e-mail (which is the best way) the name lists
to us or send them by first-class mail. You may use the following
format
     Mr. John Smith
     1322 Washington St.
     Apt. #3
     Fairfax 
     VA 
     22304

     2. You can help us type labels or stuff envelopes. If you can
spare some time, we will mail you addresses, fund-raising
materials, envelopes, and stamps. You can send the letters out from
your part of the country.

     3. You can help us distribute IFCSS brochures, which contains
information on what IFCSS has done and will do as well as a request
for donation. At your request, we will mail you a certain number of
brochures, you can then distribute them by campus mail or other
means. 

     4. Most importantly, you can help us collect information on
human rights violations and victims of political persecution,
particularly families that are experiencing difficulties as a
result of the "June 4th Massacre." It is one of our foremost tasks
to provide aid to them. 

     IFCSS has received immense support in its lobbying efforts in
regard to S1216. It is our hope that our fellow students will
respond in a similar manner to its call for assistance in improving
the general situation of human rights, of which our own rights are
an inseparable part.
 
*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping * 
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
*                   The Missions of IFCSS                           *
* Promote freedom, democracy, human rights and rule of law in China *
* Assist the development of  scienece, culture and economy in China *
* Represent the interests of Chinese students and scholars in U.S.A *
* IFCSS is a non-profit organization and has tax-exempt status. To  *
* donate, please make checks payable to "IFCSS" and send to:        *
*   IFCSS, 733 15th St. N.W., Suite 440, Washington D.C., 20005"    *
*********************************************************************