Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4072: IFCSS Officers Met State Department Officers

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1992 20:46:42 -0500

----------------------------Original message----------------------------

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4072     November 19, 1992
      IFCSS OFFICERS MET WITH STATE DEPARTMENT OFFICERS
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Starting from tomorrow, IFCSS news releases will be suspended
as HQ officers start to visit Northern Pacific and Southeastern
states. Emails to IFCSS's account will not be answered. The
HQ officers will return on November 28-29.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  IFCSS Officers Met with Officers of U.S. Department of State
  ============================================================

     On the afternoon of Nov. 19, IFCSS officers Xiao Geng, Baoping
He, Qingsong Zhang, and Heping Shi were invited to Department of
State to meet with  Mr. Robert M. Perito, Director of Office of
Chinese and Mongolian Affairs, and two other officers.

     After IFCSS officers gave an introduction to the organization
and its scope of operation, they were asked about MFN, Radio Free
Asia, and Shen Tong's trip back to China. The IFCSS officers
pointed out that it has been the official stand of the organization
to attach well-measured human rights conditions to China's MFN
status and to support the establishment of Radio Free Asia. As for
Shen Tong, IFCSS viewed him as an ordinary student whose
constitutionally granted rights were violated by the Chinese
government; therefore, IFCSS organized efforts to win his release.
The officers also expressed the hope that the U.S. government would
continue to work for the release of Qi Dafeng and others who were
arrested in connections with Shen Tong.

     IFCSS officers expressed their thanks to the Department of
State for its effort to promote human rights in China and provide
assistance to Chinese students in the U.S. in regard to family
reunion. It was agreed that the two sides should continue to work
together to keep track of the Chinese human rights situation.

     IFCSS officers also raised the issue of the quota concerning
S1216. The Department of State officers stated that no Chinese
student would be forced back to China; however, it was hard to say
exactly how long a student would have to wait before he could
adjust his status, since many procedural issues would have to be
worked out in terms of implementation of the bill.

     The meeting lasted for about an hour and the discussion was
cordial and friendly.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping *
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
*                   The Missions of IFCSS                           *
* Promote freedom, democracy, human rights and rule of law in China *
* Assist the development of  scienece, culture and economy in China *
* Represent the interests of Chinese students and scholars in U.S.A *
* IFCSS is a non-profit organization and has tax-exempt status.     *
*********************************************************************