Subject: How to Use Chinese Community Information Center (IFCSS HQ NR-4079)

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1992 18:41:18 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release   No. 4079    December 7, 1992
     HOW TO USE CHINESE COMMUNITY INFORMATION CENTER
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
           |  IFCSS Communication Service Committee |
           |           News Release  No. 2          |
           |               Nov. 30, 1992            |
           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                         How to Use                   
         IFCSS Chinese Community Information Center    

1.  How to use Anonymous FTP

FTP is a standard method to send or get files across computer network.
If you never use ftp and need detail help, please send mail to 
[email-masked].  Or you can find detail introduction about HXWZ FTP
under ftp/hxwz.

The ftp address of CCIC is ifcss.org.  Remember to type "binary" if the 
file you wish to get is not an ASCCI file.

for example, on a Unix or a VMS computer
[uppercase is what you see and lower case is what you type in]
$ ftp ifcss.org
CONNECTED TO IFCSS.ORG.
FTP SERVER READY
NAME (IFCSS.ORG:XXX): anonymous
PASSWORD: anything [but not blank]
ftp> dir
...
ftp> cd software/dos
ftp> dir
...
ftp> binary
ftp> get viewer.exe
...
ftp> quit
$
... ...
[end of example]

2. How to use listserv to join a list?

     Send  e-mail to [email-masked]  with blank subject.  On
the first line type
     lists

     You will get an email message with the list of the available 
lists and find out the one you are interested in.

     Select the one you are interested in(for example, PBS-L), send
another mail to the [email-masked], with blank subject, and
first line saying:
sub PBS-L firstname lastname

     If later you want to unsub from the list, send mail again to
the [email-masked], with first line saying:
unsub PBS-L

3. How to use CCIC Bulletin Board System(BBS)

     At your system prompt, type in:
telnet ifcss.org

     You will see a prompt, saying:

SunOS UNIX (ifcss)
login:

     You type in:
bbs

     And then follow the instructions on the screen.  You can use
either real name or fake name to join the bbs.  But people with
invalid name and address will have less privileges on the system,
say, you may not be able to join or post to certain groups.

4.  How to apply for using CCIC to distribute information

     If you or your organization want to use CCIC to distribute
your information through FTP, LISTSERV, or BBS, please send your
request to [email-masked].

5.  Other questions

     If you are not able to use FTP or TELNET on your local system,
please consult your local system manager for help.  If you have
more questions about CCIC, please send your question through e-mail
to  [email-masked].

                                                IFCSS/CCIC

*********************************************************************
*                   The Missions of IFCSS                           *
* Promote freedom, democracy, human rights and rule of law in China *
* Assist the development of  scienece, culture and economy in China *
* Represent the interests of Chinese students and scholars in U.S.A *
* IFCSS is a non-profit organization and has tax-exempt status.     *
*********************************************************************