Subject: IFCSS Medical Insurance Program 1993 (IFCSS HQ NR-4086)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1993 15:23:56 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4086       January 8, 1993
              IFCSS INSURANCE PROGRAM 1993
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

              IFCSS Insurace Program 1993
              ===========================

Dear IFCSS Members:

     The IFCSS-IGS Insurance Program for 1993 has been
finalized. The premium will stay at last year's level,
while the maximum coverage has been raised from $185,000 to
$200,000.

     We are also pleased to report that the enrollment in the 
IFCSS Medical Insurance Program is now approximately 2,500.
This is the result of the combined efforts of International
Group Services, Inc. (IGS), IFCSS and local Chinese student
organizations.

     Let us work together and raise the IFCSS Insurance
Service to a new level in 1993.

     Please see attached information.

============================================================

Attachment 1. 

                 A Call for Help

Dear IFCSS Members:

We are pleased to report that the enrollment in the IFCSS Medical
Insurance Program is now approximately 2,500. This is the result
of the combined efforts of International Group Services, Inc.
(IGS), IFCSS and local Chinese student organizations.

IGS and IFCSS HQ are committed to making this program work
perfectly. If you, or anyone you know, encounter any problems
with this program, or you have any questions or suggestions,
please contact Mr. Andrew Colbert at 1-800-394-2500, at IGS.
If you cannot reach Mr. Colbert, please call IFCSS HQ at 
1-202-347-0017.

As arranged between IGS and IFCSS, a portion of the premium
is allocated to IFCSS as an administrative/marketing allowance
and has generated considerable support for IFCSS, 40% of these
administrative funds go to the local Chinese student organizations.
It is our hope that this will strengthen the financial and political
independence of IFCSS and local Chinese student organizations.

There is still a big potential for the enrollments. IGS and IFCSS
are undertaking another round of promotion. We need the help of IFCSS
activists like you at each campus.

We believe that this is the best program for Chinese students in 
terms of rates, coverage, and service. Medical care costs of Chinese 
students are relatively lower than the general student population.
By taking a group approach, we are able to pursue a lower, more
stable rate. With IFCSS behind the participants of the program, we can
guarantee more responsible services.

Enclosed are the brief summary of the 1993 program. We hope the 
material will help you to promote the program at your campus.
Some schools require students to enroll in their school plans.
You can take the brochure to your foreign student office and have
them contact Mr. Colbert. Most schools, as a result of local
Chinese student organization efforts will allow Chinese students
to waive the school plan if they wish to participate in the IFCSS
plan.

We appeal to you to help us to make the program even more successful,
to benefit IFCSS, local Chinese student organizations, and all
Chinese students.

Sincerely,

Shi Heping (IFCSS)              Andrew Colbert (IGS)

=============================================================
Attachment 2:        1993 Program (brief summary)

Eligibility for Coverage
------------------------

All Chinese students, scholars and their accompanying eligible
dependents from mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong; who are
associated with IFCSS; who have valid F-1 or J-1 visa status;
who are temporarily residing outside their home country; who are
actively engaged in education or educational research activities
in the United States.

Actively engaged with respect to a student or scholar means a
person who is enrolled and attending classes in a college,
university or community college for six or more credit hours;
this requirement applies to F-1, J-1, F-2 and J-2 visa status.
Graduate students holding J-1 or F-1 visas may have 3 or more credit
hours. Practical training students are eligible.

Coverage
-------- 

Deductible            $50   ($25 if the school has 75 or more
                             enrollments)

$50.01-$5,000            100 percent

$5000.01-$50,000         80 percent
  
&50,000.01-$200,000      100 percent

Premium Rates
-------------

           Annual       Semi-annual     Quarterly
student    $396.00      $198.00         $99.00

student +
Spouse     $1,980.00    $990.00         $495.00

One child  $480.00      $240.00         $120.00

two or more
child      $960.00      $480.00         $240.00

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub pbs-l last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub pbs-l last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************