Subject: New IFCSS/CCSA Chairman Nominated

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1993 11:18:41 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4089      January 12, 1993
              NEW IFCSS/CCSA CHAIRMAN NOMINATED
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

              New IFCSS/CCSA Chairman Nominated
              =================================

Dear fellow Chinese students and scholars:

     During the 3rd IFCSS Council teleconference held on 
January 6, 1993 Mr. Zhao Haiqing, Chairman of IFCSS Student
Affairs Committee (IFCSS/CCSA), submitted his resignation.
Today, IFCSS President Geng Xiao nominated Mr. Zhang Qingsong
to head IFCSS/CCSA for the remaining of this term. Until next
Council meeting, when this nomination will be considered, Mr.
Zhang will be the acting chairman of CCSA according to IFCSS
bylaws.

     In the past three years, Mr. Zhao Haiqing has made 
significant contributions to IFCSS and the Chinese student
community. Like Huang Yuangeng and Han Lianchao, he has been
a major figure representing IFCSS at the U.S. Congress. His 
efforts are deeply appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Enclosure            

                         Memorandum

Date:  January 11, 1993

From:  Geng Xiao, IFCSS President

To:    IFCSS Council

Re:    Nominating CCSA Chairman

Dear IFCSS Council Members:

     Since Mr. Zhao Haiqing has resigned from the post of 
IFCSS/CCSA chairman, I hereby nominate Mr. Zhang Qingsong, 
currently IFCSS Executive Director, to head the CCSA for the
remaining of this term.

     Haiqing's resignation will be a big loss for IFCSS. I
am confident, however, that Mr. Zhang Qingsong, with his 
ability and experience, will be a qualified and successful
chairman for CCSA.

     Zhang Qingsong has a B.A. in Modern Chinese History from
Nanjing University (1982), a M.A. in American Diplomatic 
History (Sino-American Relations) from the University of 
Virginia (1986) and is expecting to receive his PH.D. degree
in the History of American Immigration Law from the University
of Virginia. 

     In the past months, Zhang Qingsong has been responsible
for coordinating lobbying efforts between the IFCSS HQ, the 
law firm and the local CSS organizations. In five months from
July 15 to December 15, he answered thousands of email 
inquiries from Chinese students. In addition, he organized 
nation-wide campaigns related to S1216, such as the Open
Letter for Shen Tong. He also collected dozens of special 
cases for Senator Gorton and other Congressional offices,
which were used as major arguments for the bill. He has been
also in charge of the Family Reunion Program.

     I hope this nomination will be approved in the next
Council meeting. 

     Thank you for your attention.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping * 
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
*                   The Missions of IFCSS                           *
* Promote freedom, democracy, human rights and rule of law in China *
* Assist the development of  scienece, culture and economy in China *
* Represent the interests of Chinese students and scholars in U.S.A *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub pbs-l last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub pbs-l last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************