Subject: Radio Free Asia (IFCSS HQ NR-4097)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1993 18:17:09 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4097      February 8, 1993
                     RADIO FREE ASIA
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

                     Radio Free Asia
                     ===============

Dear IFCSS Members:

     As the new Clinton administration has come to power 
and the members of the new Congress have taken their seats,
IFCSS has also started its work on U.S. Congress and the
administration for the year of 1993.

     Since the Student Protection Act has passed the legislative
process and is pending implementation (we are arranging a
joint meeting with INS about the procedures of implementation
of S1216), and there are so many uncertainties on the issue
of MFN, on the top of IFCSS's current agenda is to support pending 
legislation on Radio Free Asia.

     In the afternoon of Feb. 3, 1993, Geng Xiao, President
of IFCSS, and Zhang Qingsong, IFCSS Executive Director, 
visited several Congressional Offices to show IFCSS's support
for Radio Free Asia. They held meetings with the top aides of 
Congressman John Porter and Congresswoman Helen Bentley, the
co-sponsors of HR54 "Radio Free Asia Act of 1993". The HQ also
contacted Senator Biden's office, who is about to introduce a
similar legislation in the Senate.

     It was pointed out by several offices in the Congress that
although Radio Free Asia has been favored by President
Clinton and his new administration, more awareness should be 
generated among the members of Congress in order to have a quick
passage for the bill. It was also stressed that supports from
groups which were originially from Asian countries targeted
by the Act (PRC, Vietnam, Burman, Cambodia, North Korea and 
Laos) are vitally important. The HQ officers promised to generate
more awareness and support in the Chinese student communities.

     In order to help the CSS community better understand the
concept of Radio Free Asia and to have a good coordination for
activities in support of this legislation, the HQ, with the
assistance of IFCSS Community Information Center, has set up
a discussion network named "rfa-net" (Radio Free Asia Net").

     The "rfa-net" is for information exchange on issues
related to Radio Free Asia. Subscription is open. Posting
privileges are open to subscribers. 

     To subscribe rfa-net, please send an email to

           [email-masked]

     Put in the mailbody:   sub rfa-net lastname firstname
     To sign off:           unsub rfa-net lastname firstname

     If you have comments or suggestions on Radio Free Asia, please
contact the HQ.

     Thanks.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub pbs-l last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub pbs-l last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************