Subject: IFCSS Activities Advocating Human Rights (IFCSS HQ NR-4100)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1993 14:39:34 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4100     February 19, 1993
          IFCSS ACTIVITIES ADVOCATING HUMAN RIGHTS
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

          IFCSS's Activities Advocating Human Rights
          ==========================================

Dear IFCSS Members:

     In the past month, Mr. Shi Heping, Assistant to the President
and Chairman of the Committee on Public Relations and Governmental
Affairs, has been working on a report on the human rights conditions
in China. The Report was finished last week and, upon request, was
submitted to the U.S. Government Delegation to the U.N. Human Rights
convention in Geneva. 

     The Report is entitled "Continued Political and Religious
Persecution in China: A Report Submitted to President Clinton and the
U.S. Congress by the Independent Federation of Chinese Students and
Scholars". With many detailed evidences, the Report pointed out
that the political and religious persecution was not relaxed in 1992.
More than 200 pro-democracy activists were put into prison. Some
were given unreasonable long-term jail sentences. The report also
warned that the Chinese Government has learned to use political
prisoners as "cards" to play with the international pressure.

     Upon Wang Dan and Guo Haitao's release, IFCSS also made
quick responses. The Council is preparing a statement to be
sent to the media. IFCSS Executive Director Zhang Qingsong
talked with "World Daily" reporters. He was glad to hear Wang
and Guo's releases. He pointed out, however, that their freedom
will still be limited since the Chinese Government has a post-
prison control system. He also pointed out that there are still
hundreds of student and thousands non-student political
prisoners. According to reliable sources, the Chinese Government
arrested three more pro-democracy activists in Hunan in the past
two months. Two days ago, a Chinese post doctor in Beijing
Medical University was arrested. He was a civilian teacher in a
Chinese Navy Academy. He was arrested for planning a trip to U.S.
to join his wife without notifying his superiors.

    The HQ is preparing a letter to President Clinton. The letter
will ask Clinto to increase or sustain pressure on the Chinese
Government until it makes fundamental changes in the direction of
political liberalization and respecting the basic human rights.

    The HQ also provided a list of new political prisoners to
the Department of State.

    Two days ago, the HQ received a message from a student in
Southern Illinois University. The student is covered by the
Executive Order. Her husband joined her in early 1992. In
November 1992, the husband went to Turkey for a conference.
But he was denied a reentry visa at Istanbul, Turkey. The
U.S. Consulate officer asked him to return to China for a reentry
visa. He was thus stranded in Turkey for two months. After hearing
this case, Zhang Qingsong contacted the State Department officers
immediately. He pointed out that since the student is covered by
the Executive Order and they both maintained legal status, the
husband should be allowed to reenter the U.S. The State Department
China Desk promised to send a cable to U.S. Consulate in Istanbul
to grant a visa to the husband.

     Since the IFCSS's human rights report is too long, we cannot
send it to the email networks. It will be deposited in the ifcss.org
ftp site.

     Thanks for your attention.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
* IFCSS Newsletter Vol.4, No.5, is now in the ftp site of ifcss.org *
* You may also subscribe the Newsletter by sending email to:        *
* [email-masked]    put in the mailbody:          *
* subscribe ifcss-nl firstname lastname                             *
*********************************************************************