Subject: IFCSS Officer Visited State Department (IFCSS HQ NR-4103)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1993 13:42:24 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4103    February 24, 1993
         IFCSS OFFICER VISITED STATE DEPARTMENT
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

            IFCSS Officer Visited Department of State
            =========================================

     On February 23, Heping Shi, Director of Public Relations and
Government Affairs of IFCSS, went to Department of State to meet
with Mr. Gary Williams of China Desk.

     Heping Shi first expressed, on behalf of IFCSS, thanks to
Department of State for its effort to promote respect for human
rights in China as well as its help with IFCSS Family Reunion 
Program, which has secured entrance visas for about 500 family
members of Chinese students since 1989. 

     The subject of current human rights situation in China was
then raised. Heping Shi pointed out that despite the release of Wan
Dan and others, the basic human rights situation in China remains
unchanged. He gave the example of Chen Lantao and others who were
sentenced to as long as eighteen years on charges similar to Wan
Dan's. He mentioned the pervasive arrests made in the year 1992 as
well as instances of torture. He also demonstrated that the Chinese
government has been following a double-standard policy in treating
political and religious prisoners, dealing much more severely with
those who do not have "news value."

     Mr. Williams said Department of State welcomed the release of
Wan Dan and others, but at the same time was aware how limited the
changes had been. He assured Shi that the U.S. government would not
relax its effort to press for more fundamental improvements. He
asked IFCSS to continue help gather information on specific cases,
particularly those in provincial areas.

     The two also talked about Radio Free Asia and China's MFN
status. Heping Shi expressed the hope that President Clinton would
stick to his campaign promises and not yield to pressure from
certain interest groups. He asked Mr. Williams to forward an IFCSS
letter, together with a detailed human rights report, to President
Clinton.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
* For a copy of IFCSS's report on human rights conditions in China, *
* please send an email to   [email-masked]                            *
*********************************************************************