Subject: IFCSS Delegates Visits Congressional Offices (IFCSS HQ NR-4113)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1993 17:33:14 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4113        March 30, 1993
     IFCSS OFFICER MET WITH CONGRESSIONAL STAFF ON S1216
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

      IFCSS Officer Met with Congressional Staff on S1216
      ===================================================

     On March 26, Heping Shi, director of IFCSS Government Affairs
Committee, went to the U.S. Senate to meet with Mr. John Kelly from
Senator Gorton's office and Mr. Mike Meyers from Senator Kennedy's
office. The purpose of the visit is to seek continued congressional
support in regard to implementation of S1216.

     After expressing appreciation to the two legislative officers'
assistance in pushing the bill through the Congress, Heping Shi
made the following points:

     1. Since there are only about 40,000 visa numbers available
this year, obviously some beneficiaries of S1216 will have to wait
till 1994 or even a later time to actually adjust their status.
Meanwhile, the Executive Order will expire. Therefore, it is
important that these people be granted legal status, permitted to
work and travel outside the U.S.

     2. Likewise, nonqualifying dependents (family members who
themselves are not under the protection of the Executive Order)
currently in the U.S. should be allowed to extend their stay till
visa numbers become available. (According to the current plan of
INS, some of these dependents would have to go back to China at
some point and wait there.)

     3. Nonqualifying dependents currently in China should be
allowed to come to the U.S. immediately.

     4. Those who stayed in China over 90 days due to factors
beyond their own control should be given favorable consideration if
hard evidence is supplied.

     5. INS should consider the possibility of preapproval, namely,
to go ahead with approval procedures before visa numbers become
available.

     6. INS should come up with implementation regulations as soon
as possible so as to allow IFCSS time to provide feedback.

     7. Since the 40,000 visa numbers must be used up before Oct.
1, it is necessary for INS to take applications before July 1,
otherwise some numbers might be wasted due to insufficient
processing time.

     8. To facilitate processing applications, INS should try its
best to simplify the procedures. INS can also consider the
possibility of conducting training sessions for IFCSS personnel,
who will in turn provide guidance to students across the country.

     Mr. Meyers and Mr. Kelly believed that most of the above
points were achievable. They agreed that it was important and to
the benefit of INS to involve IFCSS in the implementation process.
However, they did express some reservation about the 90-day
limitation and nonqualifying dependents currently in China. Still,
they promised to work for it.

     Both sides agreed that they should touch base regularly about
new development.

     Thanks for your attention.

------------------------------------------------------------------

          IFCSS-CSPA* (S1216) Information Center
          ======================================

* CSPA=1992 Chinese Student Protection Act

Dear fellow Chinese students and scholars:

     In order to help CSS better understand the 1992 Chinese
Student Protection Act, be aware of their rights under the Act,
keep informed of the newest development, and be prepared for the
implementation, IFCSS has decided to establish a CSPA Information
Center.

     The Center will provide services in the following areas:

     1. In the six month period between April and September, 1993,
the Center will publish 4-5 issues of CSPA UPDATE (in Chinese)
which will include the text of the Act, explanations, the draft and
the final version of the implementation regulations, questions and
answers on the regulations, analysis of cases, etc. 

     2. Before INS starts to accept applications, the Center will
notify the people on the Center's mailing list and will help
distribute the application forms. (During the meeting with INS
officials on Feb. 19, IFCSS delegates asked if INS has plans to
distribute the information to the general Chinese community. INS
indicated that that was a unsolved problem. IFCSS delegates stated
that IFCSS can help distribute the information. INS officials are
pleased.)

     3. Hire some experienced experts and install special telephone
lines to help the CSS solve any questions that might arise during
the implementation period. (So that IFCSS HQ's normal operations
would not be disrupted)

     4. The Center will help the IFCSS HQ collect responses, cases
and problems. 

     IFCSS's current manpower and resources cannot afford such an
important but demanding project. Therefore, we urgently need all
kinds of, specially financial, support. Without a strong support,
the Center will not be able to provide satisfactory services. If
you endorse this plan and wish to obtain services from the Center,
please call or write to the Center at the address below.

     Thanks for your attention.

******************************************************************
     IFCSS-CSPA INFORMATION CENTER SERVICE APPLICATION FORM

Dear IFCSS:

I wish to receive all the information about the Chinese Student
Protection Act. Please include me in your CSPA Information Center's
mailing list.

Name:(Last)________ (First)__________________ Date of Birth:_______

Social Security Number:__________________  Telephone: _____________

School: _____________________________________ (just for reference)

Visa Status when entering the Country______________________________

No. of Dependents covered by Executive Order_______________________

Mailing address:  _________________________________________________

                  _________________________________________________

Service fee (minimum $50) is required:  Amount   ______________

(Make checks payable to: IFCSS-CSPA Center)
Mail to the following address (do not use email):

     Address:        IFCSS-CSPA Information Center
                     733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440
                     Washington, D.C. 20005

     Tel:            (202)783-5077

PLEASE COPY AND DISTRIBUTE!   

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                                                                   *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping * 
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*********************************************************************