Subject: CCP Membership and CSPA (S1216) (IFCSS HQ NR-4114)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1993 12:50:52 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4114        March 31, 1993
               CCP MEMBERSHIP AND CSPA (S1216)
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

               CCP Membership and CSPA (S1216)
               ===============================

     Recently, IFCSS has received inquiries about eligibility of
CCP members under S1216. The following represents the official
stand of IFCSS on this issue.

     IFCSS believes that the spirit of S1216 is to protect Chinese
nationals who, because of their involvement in the prodemocracy
movement, will face possible harassment and persecution if they
return to China. It follows that CCP membership is not a major
concern in qualifying for the protection. Hundreds of Chinese
students and scholars in the U.S. openly and courageously renounced
their CCP membership in the wake of June 4th Massacre; these people
deserve the protection better than most of us. As for many others
who have not renounced their membership but have long ceased to
participate in organizational activities of the CCP, their previous
association with the Party should not disqualify them for the
protection.

     However, for those CCP members who have been actively
engaged in organizational activities and remain diehard supporters
of the CCP's repressive policies, the exclusion has never been, and
will not be waived. (See Congressional Record, Senate Doc. 8503,
101st Congress. 1st Sess. [1989]).

     IFCSS believes that it would run counter to the spirit of the
Act to grant permanent residence to those who have consistently
supported the June 4th Massacre, whitewashed the human rights
situation in China, viciously attacked IFCSS, provided "black-list
information" for the Chinese government, and openly intimidated
Chinese students and scholars in an attempt to weaken IFCSS
grassroots organizations. These people do not deserve the
protection simply because they are already protected by the Chinese
government for their anti-democracy activities. To ensure that
S1216 does not benefit these people, IFCSS will contact INS and
other U.S. government agencies and provide them with necessary
information. If you think that there is something we should know,
please contact us. The information you provide will be strictly
confidential. Tel: (202)347-0017; fax: (202)347-0018.

     Thank you.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
* IFCSS Newsletter Vol.4, No.6 and 7 have been mailed out. The email*
* version will be added to the ftp site in IFCSS.ORG either today or*
* tomorrow. If you are a newly elected CSS leader, you may have a   *
* free subscription to the Newsletter. Send in your postal address  *
* to [email-masked]                                              *
*********************************************************************