Subject: CSPA Update No.1 mailed out (IFCSS HQ NR-4122)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1993 14:12:13 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4122        April 28, 1993
           CSPA UPDATE NO.1 MAILED OUT
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

            CSPA Update No.1 Mailed Out
            ===========================

     The IFCSS CSPA Information Center has received overwhelmingly
positive responses from the general CSS community. The Center
receives a lot of applications and more than one hundred telephone
calls every day.

     The Center has published the CSPA Update No.1. It has been
mailed out to people who have registered in the Center in the past
two weeks. The latest mailing was made on Monday, April 24. If
you have sent out the registration forms but have not received
the publication at the end of this week, you may call the Center
at (202)783-5077 to verify your mailing address.

     The HQ officers and their family members all worked in the
past two weekends to help the Center input data, prepare the
materials and stuff the envelops.

     Those who wish to join the CSPA Center, please mail your
application form which is attached below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

          IFCSS-CSPA* (S1216) Information Center
          ======================================

* CSPA=1992 Chinese Student Protection Act

Dear fellow Chinese students and scholars:

     In order to help CSS better understand the 1992 Chinese
Student Protection Act, be aware of their rights under the Act,
keep informed of the newest development, and be prepared for the
implementation, IFCSS has decided to establish a CSPA Information
Center.

     The Center will provide services in the following areas:

     1. In the six month period between April and September, 1993,
the Center will publish 4-5 issues of CSPA UPDATE (in Chinese)
which will include the text of the Act, explanations, the draft and
the final version of the implementation regulations, questions and
answers on the regulations, analysis of cases, etc. 

     2. Before INS starts to accept applications, the Center will
notify the people on the Center's mailing list and will help
distribute the application forms. (During the meeting with INS
officials on Feb. 19, IFCSS delegates asked if INS has plans to
distribute the information to the general Chinese community. INS
indicated that that was a unsolved problem. IFCSS delegates stated
that IFCSS can help distribute the information. INS officials are
pleased.)

     3. Hire some experienced experts and install special telephone
lines to help the CSS solve any questions that might arise during
the implementation period. (So that IFCSS HQ's normal operations
would not be disrupted)

     4. The Center will help the IFCSS HQ collect responses, cases
and problems. 

     IFCSS's current manpower and resources cannot afford such an
important but demanding project. Therefore, we urgently need all
kinds of, specially financial, support. Without a strong support,
the Center will not be able to provide satisfactory services. If
you endorse this plan and wish to obtain services from the Center,
please call or write to the Center at the address below.

     Thanks for your attention.

******************************************************************
     IFCSS-CSPA INFORMATION CENTER SERVICE APPLICATION FORM

Dear IFCSS:

I wish to receive all the information about the Chinese Student
Protection Act. Please include me in your CSPA Information Center's
mailing list.

Name:(Last)________ (First)__________________ Date of Birth:_______

Social Security Number:__________________  Telephone: _____________

School: _____________________________________ (just for reference)

Visa Status when entering the Country______________________________

No. of Dependents covered by Executive Order_______________________

Mailing address:  _________________________________________________

                  _________________________________________________

A Service Fee of $50  is required:  Amount   ______________

(Make checks payable to: IFCSS-CSPA Center)
Mail to the following address (do not use email):

     Address:        IFCSS-CSPA Information Center
                     733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440
                     Washington, D.C. 20005

     Tel:            (202)783-5077

PLEASE COPY AND DISTRIBUTE!    

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*-------------------------------------------------------------------*
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub pbs-l last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub pbs-l last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************