Subject: A Scholarship for Student from Mainland China (IFCSS HQ NR-4124)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1993 15:27:53 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4124           May 9, 1993
      A SCHOLARSHIP FOR STUDENTS FROM MAINLAND CHINA
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

         Tsai Wanlin Scholarship Accepting Application
         =============================================

     To award the outstanding Mainland Chinese students and
scholars in the U.S. who currently study in the humanities, social
sciences, or Chinese studies, sponsored by the China Reunification
Alliance, the CHISAC is now accepting applications for "Tsai Wanlin
Scholarship."  Four will be awarded for $2,000 each.  24 people
have been awarded in the past three years.

     Eligibility:  To be eligible to apply for the scholarship, an
applicant must:

          1, be a student or scholar from Mainland China, and
             currently studies in the following 13 states: Ohio,
             Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin,
             Minnesota, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, North
             Dakota, South Dakota.
          2, has not obtained the Permanent Residency or the U.S.
             Citizenship;
          3, is a Ph.D. student, or a scholar doing academic
             research, in good standing;
          4, is in a field of the humanities or social sciences.

     Application Requirements:  An applicant must submit:

          1, a fulfilled application form (form provided by CHISAC
             upon request);
          2, copies of diplomas, passport, visa, recent transcripts
             and research achievements;
          3, a copy of research project or dissertation proposal
             (limited to 3,000 words);
          4, two recommendation letters (directly sent to CHISAC)
             from two professors who have advised the applicant's
             study;
          5, a short autobiography in Chinese stating the
             applicant's aspiration.

     Priorities:  Priorities will be given to the applicants who:

          1, study Chinese culture or China affairs;
          2, submit a copy of dissertation proposal approved by the
             graduate program (limited to 3,000 words);
          3, do not have any other fellowship or assistantship in
             the 1993-94 academic year.

     Submission of the Application and Notification of Awards:

          1, Submit the application to the
               CHISAC
               222 W. Cermak Rd, Suite 303
               Chicago, IL 60616
          2, The postmark deadline for the submission of the
             application is May 31, 1993.
          3, A decision will be made in August, 1993; winners will
             be notified individually, and receive the awards
             before the end of September, 1993.

     Please contact the CHISAC at the following address/numbers for
the application form and further questions:

     CHISAC
     222 W. Cermak Rd, Suite 303
     Chicago, IL 60616

     Tel: (312) 326-0795. FAX: (312) 326-2669.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping * 
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*********************************************************************