Subject: INS HQ ORDER LOCAL OFFICE NOT TO REFUSE REQUESTS FOR APPLICATION FORM (IFCSS HQ NR-4142)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1993 16:50:21 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4142         June 15, 1993
  INS HQ ORDER LOCAL OFFICES NOT TO REFUSE REQUESTS FOR FORMS
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

INS HQ ORDER LOCAL OFFICES NOT TO REFUSE APPLICATION FORM REQUESTS
==================================================================

Dear fellow Chinese students and Scholars:

     The IFCSS HQ has noticed that local INS offices have acted 
differently to the requests by CSS for adjustment of status 
application forms. In some areas, the forms are distributed smoothly
while in other areas the local offices completely rejected the 
requests. This has caused nation-wide confusion and anxiety. Some 
students even spent several hundred dollars on the application form
package.

     The HQ has reported this problem to INS HQ officers. Just a few
minutes ago, the INS HQ has notified the HQ that a cable has been
sent to local INS offices. According to the Cable, local offices
"may not refuse" the requests for adjustment of status forms by 
Chinese nationals.

     Another Notice: Some local INS offices requires the showing
of passports. Do not forget to bring it with you.

     The text of the Cable is as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
TEXT OF INS ORDER:

USINS
Action:                     Routine
Security Classification:    UNCLAS
Date:                       June 14, 1993
File Number:                CO 245-C
Contact:                    XXXX XXXX
Phone:                      XXX XXXX

RE:  CHINESE STUDENT PROTECTION ACT OF 1992 (CSPA)

     This office has been receiving numerous inquiries from the public
and field offices concerning implementation of the CSPA.

     The CSPA is not the sole means through which a Chinese alien may
apply for adjustment of status; potential CSPA applicants may apply for
any other benefit(s) for which they believe they may be eligible. Local
service offices may not refuse to provide adjustment of status packages
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and other application forms to Chinese applicants.

     This office has also received unsubstantiated reports that some
offices are furnishing applicants with written instruction sheets
listing evidence requirements for CSPA adjustment applications. These
tyhpes of instruction sheets should not be furnished to the public, since
the application requirements will not be finalized until the rule is
published in the federal register.

     The following information concerning the CSPA may be furnished to
the public:

     The Immigration and Naturalization Service (Service) draft rule
implementating the CSPA has been forwarded to the Department of Justice
and the Office of Management and Budget for their review and clearance.
Until these offices have completed their review and clearance and the
rule is published in the "Federal Register," the Service will be unable
to provide specific information concerning application forms and the
application process. The Service is aware of the need to implement the
CSPA as soon as possible and has asked that these reviews be
expeditiously conducted.

     Potential CSPA applicants are urged not to file their applications
before the rule is published. Submission of an incomplete application or
submission to the incorrect office may ultimately delay the applicant's
adjustment of status.

(signed)
James A. Puleo
Acting Executive Associate Commissioner

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping * 
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*********************************************************************