Subject: GOOD NEWS ON CSPA IMPLEMENTATION (IFCSS HQ NR-4147)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1993 17:11:16 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4147         June 22, 1993
            GOOD NEWS ON CSPA IMPLEMENTATION
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

               Good News on CSPA Implementation
         ==============================================

     This morning, Ms. Philis Coven, Assistant Attorney General in
charge of reviewing CSPA Implementation Regulations, informed
Heping Shi, IFCSS Director of Government Affairs, that several key
issues have been finally resolved. These are the issues which IFCSS
identified in the very beginning of the regulation formulation and
on which we have worked hardest. Frankly, we are elated with a
sense of accomplishment, but much more importantly, we are relieved
that many of our fellow students and dependents will not be forced
back to China against their will. Here is the news.

     1. Late-arriving dependents will be allowed continued legal
status in the U.S. and will be issued work permits. However, they
are not allowed to apply for PR with the principal applicants.

     2. No applicant will be excluded on financial grounds. You may
be a student without a TA, you may have only a part-time job, or
you may even not have a job, but you are still eligible for PR if
you apply under CSPA.

     3. The passport will be a valid substitute for the birth
certificate.

     The Regulations will be published pretty soon.

       *******       ******      ******    *****

         A Message From IFCSS Fourth Term Headquarters
         ---------------------------------------------

     In the past months, IFCSS has been working very hard on issues
related to the CSPA implementation, devoting 90% of its resources
and manpower in an attempt to obtain the best results for all those
who will benefit from the Act. The HQ staff have spent many a
sleepless night. Today, we feel that we are fully rewarded for our
efforts. Still, because our limited capacity and the overwhelming
number of potential applicants (just imagine how many questions and
concerns heading our way), our work has not been satisfactory to
all. For those who are not angry with us, we appreciate your
patience; for those who have lost your temper, we understand your
anxiety. We are ordinary students like you, not trained to deal
with issues of such complexity and magnitude. But we have done our
share and are ready to go back to school. As a distinct interest
group in the U.S., there is a lot to do in the future, and next
time it will be your turn. No matter how imperfect IFCSS is,
without an organization like this, we will achieve nothing. The
current term of IFCSS leadership will expire in about ten days and
new leadership will be elected at IFCSS 5th Congress, which will
take place July 2 - 5 at The University of Kentucky, Lexington.
At this moment, the best way to show your support of IFCSS is to
send delegates to the Congress. 

     We are thankful to INS HQ for its cooperation. Among those who
deserve our thanks are Edward Skerett, Rita Boie, Sophia Cox, E.B.
Duarte, Beart Ort, Grover Rees, and Kevin Jones. Many individuals
and institutions have provided generous support in our
communication with INS. We are particularly grateful to John Kelly
and Steffen Nelson at Senator Gorton's office, Mike Meyers at
Senator Kennedy's office, Carolyn Bartholomew at Congresswoman
Pelosi's office, Philis Coven at the Attorny General office,
Jefferson Hill at Office of Commerce and Lands at OMB, Eric
Schwartz at Office for Global affairs and Kent Wiedemann at Office
for Asian Affairs at National Security Council, Diane Kelly at
Office of Chinese and Mongolian Affairs at Department of State. Our
deepest appreciation, needless to say, goes to Senator Slade
Gorton, Senator Edward Kennedy, Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi, and
Congressman Joe Barton, without whose efforts the CSPA would have
been impossible. You are encouraged to send thank-you cards to
these people. If you cannot find their addresses, we will be
pleased to forward them to you.

     Finally, we want to thank all of you, our fellow students who
have supported or criticized IFCSS. Encouragement and criticisms
alike showed your care for our organization. 

     We will continue to offer our service to you till the last day
we are in office. Best wishes to you all.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping * 
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*********************************************************************