Subject: CSPA GREEN LIGHT: YOU MAY FILE THE APPLICATIONS NOW! (IFCSS HQ NR-4150)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1993 15:23:46 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4150         June 29, 1993
    CSPA GREEN LIGHT: YOU MAY FILE YOUR APPLICATIONS NOW!
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

        CSPA:  YOU MAY FILE YOUR APPLICATIONS NOW!
        ==========================================
                      (PART ONE)

Dear fellow Chinese students and scholars:

    This is the news we have been waiting for weeks. We have
finally got the word that the CSS now can file CSPA applications.
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    But before you rush to the post office to mail the
applications, we advise you to patiently read through this and 
subsequent new releases from this office because they have some
important instructions from the INS about the requirements.

    This morning, IFCSS HQ officers held a two-hour meeting with
INS HQ officers in INS Central Office Building. Representing the
IFCSS were Shi Heping, Director of Government Affairs and Zhang
Qingsong, IFCSS Executive Director. Representing the INS were Ms.
Rita Boie, senior Examination Examiner who was in charge of
drafting the Regulations, Mr. Ed Skerrett, Chief of the Immigration
Branch, Mr. Michael L. Aytes, Director of Service Center Operations
and Mr. Duarte, Director of the Examination Operations.

    The INS officers stated that the White House (OMB) have
informed them that the content of the Regulation was O.K. The
Regulation is still waiting for final approval. It is expected to
be released by the end of this week. However, INS officers told us
that the CSS may file their applications now.                     
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 

    The basic requirements are the same as the "Additional
Instructions for Form I-485" published in the Federal Register on
June 17.

    According to the latest calculation, there are 45,000 visa
numbers available for the CSPA this year. In order to fully use
those visa numbers, INS urge the CSPA beneficiaries to file EARLY
and file COMPLETE. If the number for this year is fully used, it 
would take about one and a half years for all the rest of the 
applicants to get their permanent residency.

    Another important thing is that the Form 9003 is required. It
is not included in the Additional Instructions. But it is required.
You may get it from IRS offices, libraries or send out xerox
copies. You may send fast delivery and registered mail, but that
may be slower than regular mail because of complicated processing
procedures.  Besides, express mail cannot be send to P.O.Box
Service Center addresses.

    There will be more information concerning specific instructions
about the forms. If you are not sure about some items in the
application forms, you may wait to read the following releases
before you file your applications.

    Thanks and good luck.
   
    (To be continued)

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping * 
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*-------------------------------------------------------------------*
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************