Subject: CSPA GREEN LIGHT PT.2: ABOUT THE FORMS (IFCSS HQ NR-4151)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1993 18:23:44 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4151         June 29, 1993
          CSPA GREEN LIGHT PT.2: ABOUT THE FORMS
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

                 CSPA GREEN LIGHT  (PART II)

       Some Specific Questions about the Application Forms
       ===================================================

********* Please do not call the IFCSS HQ. We are unable to answer
questions from individuals. IFCSS HQ is preparing for the 5th
Congress and should keep the lines open.**************

     During the meeting with the INS officers, the IFCSS HQ
officers raised some specific questions about the application forms
collected by IFCSS CSPA Information Center. The following is a
recollection of the answers from the INS officers. It serves as 
general information rather than legal advice. 

1.   I FOUND THAT I DID NOT INCLUDE SOME INFORMATION/FORMS, CAN I
     SEND ANOTHER PACKAGE OR IMMEDIATELY SEND THE ADDITIONAL FORMS?

A:   You should wait for the receipt from the Service Center for
     your initial package and then send the additional forms.
     Sending several packages in a short time will complicate the
     matter. There will be a number on your receipt, which you
     should put on any subsequent forms or materials so that the
     Service Center people can quickly identify your first package.

2.   THE ADDRESSES FOR THE SERVICE CENTERS PUBLISHED IN THE FEDERAL
     REGISTER ARE DIFFERENT FROM THOSE DISTRIBUTED BY INS. WHICH
     ARE THE CORRECT ONES?

A:   You should use the addresses in the Federal Register. The
     addresses provided by IFCSS Information Center are correct.

3.   WILL THE APPLICATIONS BE PROCESSED ON A FIRST-COME-FIRST-
     SERVED BASIS? HOW ARE YOU GOING TO DETERMINE PRIORITY DATE?

A:   The applications will be processed on a first-come-first-served
     basis. The priority date is given after the application is
     received with the fee and signature.

The following questions concerning I-485.

4.   WHAT IS THE CURRENT INS STATUS?

A:   If you are no longer holding a valid visa, such as J-1 or F-1,
     put DED there.

5.   WHAT IS THE A NUMBER OR FILE NUMBER?

A:   The A number or the file number is the alien registration
     number beginning with an "A". You can find it on the upper
     left-hand corner of your work permit. You may not have the A
     number if you do not have a work permit. Then you can skip it.

6.   WHAT IF I NO LONGER HAVE I-94 CARD?

A:   You can use the dates on your passport. You may also check
     with the international student office at your school to see if
     they have retained the old I-20 forms to indicate your first
     entry or if they have copies of I-94 forms.

7.   ITEM 12 OF PART THREE ASKS WHETHER YOU HAVE BEEN A J-VISITOR
     AND NOT YET COMPLIED WITH THAT REQUIREMENT OR OBTAINED A
     WAIVER. SHALL I SAY YES OR NO?

A:   You should say "yes", but write "waived under CSPA."

8.   HOW SHALL I ANSWER THE QUESTION REGARDING DEPENDENTS "APPLYING
     WITH YOU?"

A:   If your dependents are eligible under CSPA, answer yes. But
     each member of your family has to file separately. 

9.   DO COPIES OF THE DOCUMENTS, SUCH AS PASSPORT AND I-94, HAVE TO
     BE NOTARIZED?

A:   No. You don't have to.

10.  SHOULD WE USE THE FINGER PRINTING CARDS FROM THE LOCAL
     DISTRICT OFFICE OR FROM THE SERVICE CENTER?

A:   Both are acceptable.

11.  CAN WE DO THE MEDICAL EXAMINATION IN ANOTHER DISTRICT OR AREA?

A:   You can do the medical examination anywhere as long as it is
     done by INS approved doctors.

12.  WHAT VERSION OF THE I-485 FORMS SHOULD BE USED?

A:   The I-485 forms must be the 9-9-92 version (on the lower left
     hand corner in the first page of form I-485.)

     To be continued (about late-arriving dependents who are not
covered in this Act). This release has three parts. This is Part 2
of the three.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*                 =========================                         *
* President:      Geng Xiao  Assistant to the President: Shi Heping * 
* Vice-President: He Baoping     Executive Director: Zhang Qingsong *
*********************************************************************