Subject: HQ SR-4022: Lobby Campaign Update

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1992 00:13:50 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters Special Report No. 4022       July 29, 1992
                  Lobby Campaign Update
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

                   Lobby Campaign Update
                   =====================

Dear IFCSS members:

     The ongoing nation-wide campaign supporting the 1992
Chinese protection bill has mobilized the CSS communities.
The HQ has been trying its best to help the campaign and
coordinate the lobby activities. However, the HQ has limited
manpower and resources, thus cannot keep track of development
in all areas and cannot do everything by its own. Therefore,
any kind of help will be highly appreciated.

     IFCSS ATTORNEY'S HELP:

     The IFCSS attorneys' have been very helpful. Mr. John
Mitchell, whose Protection Bill Workshop is still fresh in
many peoples' minds, has prepared a complete set of "Sample
Letters," "Talking Points," "Bill Analysis," "Lobby Strategy,"
which is a nine-page long document. Since many people have
requested this kind of documents, the HQ contacted Mr.
Mitchell who later at 3:15 pm faxed the documents to the
HQ. The HQ then immediately sent a message to the lobby-net
requesting help put in these documents into computer and
make them available to the public. Several people have
volunteered to help. This project, however, will be
cancelled because the HQ, with pleasure, noticed that
Dr. Zhao Haiqing has released indentical documents a
while ago. His help in this regard will be appreciated.

     DR. ZHAO'S LOBBYING EFFORTS:

     According to Dr. Zhao's recent postings, he has been
lobbying in the Congress in the past several days. His
help will also be appreciated.

     D.C. LOBBY SUPPORT GROUP:

     The bill will come to House floor in a few weeks
and at that time a massive House on-cite lobby will be
needed. President Geng Xiao has talked to University
of Maryland student leaders about organizing a D.C.
lobby support group and received promises of full
support. The group will provide assistance to students
who come to D.C. to lobby when the whole House begin
to debate the bill.

     COMMUNICATION:

     The recent lobby campaign has shown some vital flaws
in the IFCSS communication system. IFCSS official
announcements can reach only a small number of students.
The Community Information Center project and the recent
lobby-net will help improve the situation. In addition,
however, the HQ has developed a communication plan based
on a totally new concept. A detailed proposal will be
released in a few weeks. This proposal, when fully
implemented, will bring about a revolution in the IFCSS
communication system.

     LOBBY COORDINATOR NETWORK PLANNED

     President Geng Xiao has been planning to organize
a nation-wide lobby coordinator network. He is planning
to call a teleconference some time next week to formally
set up the system.

     Next report on: The IFCSS CSS-Protection Account.

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************