Subject: IFCSS HQ SR-4024: Sample Letter for American Friends

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1992 04:08:27 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters Special Report No. 4024      July 30, 1992
             SAMPLE LETTER FOR AMERICAN FRIENDS
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

             Sample Letter for American Friends
             ==================================

Dear IFCSS Members:

     Getting American friends to write letters, make phone
calls and visit local Congressmens' offices is the best
way to influence the Congressmen. They are voters and
are more influential than Chinese students who are not
voters.
     The following is an email received by the HQ this morning
from Mr. Scott Martin of the University of Notre Dame. He
permitted the HQ to use his letter as a sample letter.
We all should thank him for his help.

     Thank you for your attention.
-----------------------------------------------------------

>From [email-masked] Wed Jul 29 23:39:59 1992
To: [email-masked]

Friends,

I am sending a copy of a letter which I forwarded to members
of the House Rules Committee.  Please feel free to use this
letter and have your American friends revise it as appropriate.
I hope this helps your efforts. Please keep me informed, and
keep up the good work.

Scott Martin
Email:  [email-masked]

												July 25, 1992
												Scott Martin
												1564 Rosemary Ln. Apt. E
												South Bend, IN 46637-5633

The Honorable Joe Moakley
United States House of Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515-2109

Congressman Moakley:

Because you chair the House Rules Committee, I am writing to request your
support on the S1216 Chinese protection bill; specifically, I appeal to you
to issue a closed rule on this bill.  Although I am sympathetic to the
Haitian refugees, amending S1216 to include Haitian refugees undermines the
mission of Senator Mitchell's S1216 as this will surely cause a
Presidential veto.  I am pleased with S1216 as it is empathetic to the
plight of my Chinese comrades, whom I have found to be deserving of the
provisions which S1216 grants.

In support of the unamended S1216 immigration bill, I thought I would speak
of my interaction with several Chinese students in this country, which I
believe is representative of the Chinese populace.

Speaking from the perspective of a graduate student in the sciences, I have
found my Chinese comrades to be very conscientious and diligent students.
Their work ethic is very inspiring to United States scientists and their
tenacity and dedication is far superior to most United States students.
Their abilities, via healthy competition, have pushed us to become better
scientists, to develop more intellectual discipline, and to develop a
deeper scientific maturity.  Basically, their challenge is a catalyst which
fosters the development of better United States scientists.  I believe this
has a profoundly positive influence on science and is imperative to the
United States' continued scientific and technological advancement.  In
simplest terms, China exports brainpower which the United States can
harness for its own benefit.

>From a personal perspective, my Chinese friends, whose status is affected
by provisions in S1216, are exemplary people who have a positive influence
on those of us who know them:  witness the events in Beijing three years
ago where the Chinese people made a brave attempt to stand up to a lawless
government.  They are humble people who have lived within the confines of a
consciousless government and who invariably make the most of any given
situation, including any opportunities which the United States affords
them.

In short, I kindly request that you join Senator George Mitchell and
earnestly support S1216 without further amendment.  Not only will this help
our deserving Chinese friends, but I also believe it can only benefit the
United States.  Thank you for you attention and concern.

														Respectfully,

														Scott Martin
Scott Martin
Department of Chemistry
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556
Lab Phone#:  219.239.6414
E-Mail:  [email-masked]

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************