Subject: IFCSS HQ SR-4025: Sample Letter for Chinese Students

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1992 04:22:54 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters Special Report No. 4025       July 30, 1992
               Sample Letter for Chinese Students
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

                Sample Letter for Chinese Students
                ==================================

Dear IFCSS Members:

     The following is a sample letter for Chinese students.
It is written by Shi Heping of Virginia Tech.
-------------------------------------------------------------
                                                  Date

Honorable ----------
Address

Dear Congressman (woman) ___:

We are writing to ask that you lend your support to the 1992
Chinese Student Protection Bill (S1216, which is pending in the House.

We still remember and remain grateful to the concern shown by the
Congress to Chinese students in the wake of the "June 4th Massacre,"
an event that led many of us to stand up for democracy in defiance
of potential reprisal and persecution. The protection for Chinese
nationals later provided by the President's Executive Order was, in
a great degree, the result of Congressional effort.

More than three years have passed since the brutal crackdown in
1989. Tremendous changes have taken place around the world. The
Chinese government, however, has remained recalcitrant and
consistently demonstrated its determination to resist the
historical tide of democracy. The Chinese people are still
deprived of basic human rights, thousands of political prisoner
are languishing in dark cells, and recently, Bao Tong, top advisor
to former Communist Party General Secretary Zhao Zhiyang, was
sentenced to seven years of imprisonment because of his alleged
involvement in the democracy movement of 1989.

This being the situation, we cannot but feel apprehension at the
prospect of returning to China upon the expiration of the current
presidential protection, which is to be January 1, 1994. Therefore,
once again we turn to you for help. Please vote "Yes" on ___ (bill
number).

Thank you.

(signed)

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************