Subject: IFCSS HQ SR-4027: Protection Bill Update

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1992 22:10:47 -0400

*************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters Special Report 4027          July 31, 1992
                 PROTECTION BILL UPDATE
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

                  Protection Bill Update
                  ======================

Dear IFCSS Members:

     1. THE OVERALL PICTURE

     Our nation-wide campaign supporting the protection
bill, (please be careful in choosing the words. When talkng
to American friends and Congressmen, please refer this
bill as the PROTECTION bill, DO NOT say it is an immigration
bill, this is important), has been effective. People in
Congress are impressed by the effective organization in the
campaign. One Congressman's office has received 400 phone
calls supporting the bill.

    2. PRESSURE ON CONGRESSMAN CONYERS

    After IFCSS HQ released the phone number and address of
Congressman Conyers (district office in Detroit) who attempted
to attach his Hatian bill to the Chinese protection bill, his
office has received numerous calls urging the Congressman not
to reintroduce his amendment in the Whole House.

    3. NEXT WEEK

    The coming week will be an important week. A schedule will
be propably set for the bill to be considered by the Whole
House, and our all-out campaign should be in full swing.
The HQ has been preparing for the next stage. Some plans
will be released soon.

    4. WHO ARE IN THE HQ

    In the past month, the HQ has been run by three people:
President Geng Xiao, Vice-president He Baoping and Mr. Zhang
Qingsong of the University of Virginia.

    5. THE ACTING EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

    In the past month, the HQ has an acting executive
director, Mr. Zhang Qingsong. Mr. Zhang has a B.A. in
Chinese History and a M.A. in Sino-American Relations.
He is about to receive a Ph.D. in the History of
American Immigration Law. His dissertation is about the
Legislation and Enforcement of the Chinese Exclusion Law of
the United States in 1848-1943.

    6. HEAVY WORK LOAD

    In the past week, Geng Xiao, He Baoping and Zhang Qingsong
have been working at least 16 hours a day. They worked as late
as 4-5 am in the morning and woke up by phone calls to the HQ
at about 8-9 am. They are not aware of what is going on in
the Summer Olympics, but they do know what is going on in the
Capital Hill and in the general CSS communities. Baoping and
Qingsong have been in the office 24 hours a day, working,
eating, sleeping, all in the office. They have not got a
chance to take a bath for a week.

    7. AN AMERICAN LAWYER HIRED BY HQ

    Mr. Karl Bunday, a lawyer in Seattle, has been hired as
a full-time General Counsel to the IFCSS. He is on his way
to D.C. (driving) and will start working in HQ next week.
Mr. Bunday has an impressive resume: he has a J.D. from
the University of Minnesota Law School, being members of the
American Bar Asso., American Immigration Lawyers Asso. and
many others. He speaks fluent Chinese, having served as
escort-interpreter (English-Chinese) for U.S. State
Department. His major duties will be fund-raising and public
relations.

    8. STATE LOBBY COORDINATOR SYSTEM

    In order to have a more effective campaign, the HQ
is planning several projects, one of which is the Lobby
Coordinator System. In this system, one or two coordinators
will be selected for each state who will organize lobbying
activities in their own states. A special email list will
be established. Right now, the coordinators need to be
selected.

    If you are interested in being the coordinator in
your state, please send your name, school, email account,
phone and/or fax number to

    [email-masked]

    The selection will begin early next week. A telephone
conference will be called later.

    9. DONATION

    Because of the shortage of manpower, the HQ is in urgent
need for office helpers who can relieve the HQ staffs from
heavy burden of office work to concentrate on the greater
strategy, communication and coordination for the campaign.
There are so many projects the HQ wants to do but cannot do
because of limited resources. We call for volunteer help
from students in the Greater D.C. area.

    If you want to donate money for the campaign, please
make checks payable to IFCSS CSS-Protection Account.

    Address:

    IFCSS CSS-Protection Account
    733 15th Street, N.W.
    Suite 440
    IFCSS
    Washington D.C., 20005

    The account will regularly publish the amount of donations
and will accept supervision of IFCSS Council and HQ and the
Task Force. However, IFCSS has no moral or legal responsibility
for donations sent to accounts which are not monitored,
managed, or supervised by IFCSS.

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************