Subject: IFCSS 5TH CONGRESS HELD OPENING CEREMONY (IFCSS 5DA TASK FORCE NR-8)

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1993 16:43:22 -0400

**********************************************************************
IFCSS 5Da Task Force,    News Release No. 08              July 2, 1993

            IFCSS 5TH CONGRESS HELD OPENING CEREMONY 
**********************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars in USA (IFCSS)
               5th Congress Preparation Task Force
               Email: [email-masked]
           Tel:  606-258-6556     Fax:  606-258-4423

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

12:30 pm, EDT
Lexington, Kentucky

        IFCSS Opened 5th Congress at Lexington, Kentucky
        ================================================

     On the Independence Day weekend and in the historical city of
Lexington, Kentucky, the opening of the IFCSS 5th Congress was a
good reminder of the spirit of the American War of Independence --
the aspirations for freedom, the consciousness of one's dignity and
rights, and the persistent pursuit of happiness and ideal. That was
the common theme in the remarks of several keynote speakers in the
Congress's opening ceremony held this morning in the Agricultural
Auditorium of the University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky. 

     Around 200 delegates, observers and guests participated in the
opening ceremony which began at 9:30 am, EDT. Mr. Baoping He, the
Vice-president of IFCSS, announced the beginning of the Congress
and the delegates held a one minute silence to mourn those who gave
up their lives in the '89 democracy movement. IFCSS President Geng
Xiao delivered the opening remarks. He pointed it out that it was
in Lexington the first shot of the Independence War was fired and
it was in the same city the first independent Chinese student
organization emerged six years ago (the University of Kentucky
Chinese Student Solidarity Union). In that light, the 5th IFCSS
Congress was meaningful.

     Sitting on the Presidium are guests invited by the Congress.
They are: Mr. Steven Nelson, Assistant to U.S. Senator Slade
Gorton; Mitchele Chin, Assistant to Congressman Joe Barton; Kevin
Atkins, Assistant to U.S. Senator from Kentucky McConnell (whose
wife Zhao Xiaolan is a well-known Chinese American); Professor Fang
Lizhi; Mr. Zhang Boli, one of the exiled Tiananmen student leaders
and now the Vice-president of ADC; Ms. Chen Jiemin, President of
the Taiwan Student Union, and also Ms. Carolyn Hollins and Mr. Brad
Traineor from the International Student Office of the University of
Kentucky. 

     Ms. Hollins welcomed the delegates on behalf of the University
of Kentucky. She said that from IFCSS email news releases she has 
become familiar with IFCSS and she is very impressed by the ability
and achievements of IFCSS. Mr. Atkins read a congratulation letter
written by Senator McConnell in which he highly praised the efforts
of IFCSS in promoting China's human rights. Ms. Chin congratulated
the Congress on behalf of Congressman Barton. She pointed out that
the efforts and success of IFCSS rekindled the Americans of the
spirit of the Independence War. Mr. Nelson pointed out that the
CSPA has taken effect and the Chinese students covered by the Act
will be free from persecution. He read a letter from Senator Gorton
to President Clinton in which he explained the purpose and
significance of the Chinese Student Protection Act.

     Professor Fang Lizhi, the well-known astrophysicist and
dissident is attending IFCSS congress for the second time. He urged
the Chinese students to not only seek the advancement of
professional career but also be aware of and fulfill social
responsibilities. Mr. Zhang Boli commended the work of IFCSS. He
was also impressed by IFCSS's smooth transition of power. Ms. Chen
Jiemin told the delegates that the Taiwan Student Union has had a
good working relationship with IFCSS in the past four years and the
two organizations should continue to cooperate in the future.

     Another scheduled speaker, Mr. Liu Qing, President of the
Human Rights in China (New York), arrived after the ceremony and
his speech will be re-arranged.

     The Congress also received congratulation letters from the
National Union of Chinese Students and Scholars in Australia, the
California Chinese Civil Engineers' Association, and Mr. Chen
Yizhi, President of the Center for Modern China.

     After the opening ceremony, the Congress entered the Report
and Question session. President Geng Xiao, Council Chairman Li
Jinghong and Supervisory Committee Coordinator Luo Lishi reported
the work of HQ, Council and SVC respectively. The reports were
followed by a thirty minute Q&A session. The recurrent applause
showed the delegates' approval of the work and achievements of this
term. 

     The afternoon session is devoted to the consideration of
amendments to IFCSS Constitution.

     107 CSS organizations registered for the Congress. By this
morning, delegates from 87 organizations have arrived. Many are
believed still on their way to Lexington considering the fact that
the CSPA filing process just started 2-3 days ago.

     The first issue of the 5th Congress Bulletin has been
distributed to the delegates. It has ten pages. The campaign
platforms of three Presidential candidates, Lin Changsheng, Ding
Yungui and Li Jinghong were published. We are exploring the
possibility to send the Bulletin through email.

************************************************************************
                          The End
************************************************************************