Subject: HQ NR #7014: Working Committee Proposals [I]

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 95 05:10:24 GMT

&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSREL
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^

           *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7014   *  *  *
                    _________   August 8, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[         ______
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    _________
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington, DC 20005
            Tel: (202) 347-0017              Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

[Headquarters' Note: The HQ has received working proposals, and is in the
process of setting up working committee/task force and prepare the budget
for the coming fiscal year. The headquarters would like to   release  the
contents of partial working proposals, in order to:1) let the public know
more activities in IFCSS; 2). seek public bids, someone else could submit
alternative one, propose a joint one; 3). promote the working   proposals
in public; 4). If CSS members are interested in some of projects,    they
may join in, or get connection directly to the sponsors.   Thank again to
all proposal sponsors for their enthusiasm and devotion to the mission of
the IFCSS]

Memo: IFCSS Working Committee Proposal [I]
From: IFCSS Headquarters,
To  : IFCSS Council

        Proposal for Establishment of Education Fund of IFCSS
                in the New Fiscal Year of 1995-1996

Proposed by: Yuanhua Tang,
             Ph.D  Cornell Univeristy Medical College

Date:        July 21, 1995

The Organization:

        There was an Education Fund (E-fund hereafter) of the Independent
Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS) in the fiscal year of
1993-194.  In fiscal year of 1993-1994, E-fund has conducted  effectively
to promote education in the remote and  under-developed  countryside   of
mainland China by (i) aiding individual  students who are facing dropping
off school due to financial reasons; (ii) helping individual teachers who
are under financial stress (see  attached document for its   activity  in
1994). Unfortunately, this   invaluable program was not supported  in the
fiscal year of 1994-1995 of IFCSS, presided by Mr. LUO, Ning.  Here, I am
proposing the  continuation of   E-fund  in the new fiscal year under the
administration of the IFCSS Headquarter, presided by Mr. XING, Zheng.

         The personal in   the committees will be determined by the IFCSS
Headquarter. I propose that the Preparing Committee of E-fund be  chaired
by Yuanhua Tang of New York, and co-chaired by Ms. Zhong,   Yiuping    of
Oregon. Following persons will be contacted for the   initiation of   the
program:  Mr. Zhou, Yongjun, Mr. Tang, Yingxing, Mr.    Xin, Ku, Mr. Liu,
Xiaochun, and Mr. Gao, Hong.

         General Object:

         To aid the individual students and teachers in the primary   and
middle schools of the remote and poor countryside of mainland China.

        Budget:

        $11,000.00  total. $5,000.00  seed  money  and   $500.00 activity
expenses from the IFCSS headquarter. $5,500.0 (estimated) donations  from
individual CSS in USA.

        To aid  about 10 pupils and  2 teachers   from   each   nominated
schools in  the poor region of countryside. $25.00 per pupil, $50.00  per
teacher.  ($350.00 per school). In this way, we can sponsor 30 individual
schools ($10,500 total).

        Activity Spending:

        Less than $500. Only  in the form of   reimbursement   of mailing
costs, photocopy, telephone expenses, and travel expenses of   individual
members of E-fund.

        Nomination Process:

        The IFCSS will broadcast the establishment of E-fund, and solicit
individual CSS inside USA who are originally from remote and poor regions
of countryside to nominate their primary and secondary  schools to be the
candidate schools.

        Selection Criterion:

        Those schools that are from the well-known underdeveloped regions
in the remote countryside will be selected by the E-fund  Selecting Comm-
ittee. Letters will then be sent to the individual schools selected, ask-
ing the schools to nominate pupils and teachers.  We will help each pupil
nominated through this channel, but will  select the candidates among the
applying teachers through the  activity of the Selecting Committee of  E-
fund.

        Improvement Over Last Year:

        We will solicit nominations of individual schools from individual
CSS directly this year. This procedure will guarantee that the most needy
schools gets nominated. It will increase the influence of this program by
covering more provinces and counties than last year. It will increase the
involvement of individual CSSs and local  grassroots organizations in the
activities organized by IFCSS headquarter.

        We will start an active drive for fund raising this year, gradua-
lly  leading this program into a financially independent sub-organization
under IFCSS banner within the next two to three years.   E-fund will pre-
pare the promotion package, including documents about its previous  acti-
vity and its mission; and large posters.  The package will be distributed
to the core members of E-fund and local CSS organizations.

        The core members of E-fund will coordinate   their   fund-raising
effort nationwide, soliciting donations from the Chinese business  corpo-
rations; local churches and other religious organizations; and    the CSS
themselves.  Local fund-raising activity among Chinese students and scho-
lars, and among local Chinese as well as American  communities  will   be
organized through activities such as presenting motion pictures and video
cassette, selling T-shirts, and sponsoring vacation trips.

        As more and more CSSs become   US taxpayers,  this could become a
potential generous source of donation money, since the donations to  this
program are tax-deductible. Due to the exact nature of USA Tax    system,
many CSSs might need to get rid of some extra dollars in the final moment
of tax filing process. E-fund will obtain from the IFCSS  headquarter the
receipts which can be used for tax purpose. It will be  likely successful
to launch our fund-raising activity around the time of tax return prepar-
ations.

        Our object of raising $5,500.00 dollars are obtainable this year.
Several persons I have contacted have indicate they each can raise up  to
$1,000.00 at a single funding drive. There are even individuals   like to
donate $1,000.00 to this program by himself/herself.

        Significance:

        Experience from the operation of E-fund from fiscal  year   1993-
1994, and from the continued effort by Ms. Zhong, Yiuping,   show   great
success of this program. It is proven to be a good way to   channel   the
money directly to individual pupil and teacher   who needs our help most.
The overall processing procedure has been proven to    be  very effective,
and the overall spending from the E-fund committees are very small ( less
than $300.00 for 1993).

        The IFCSS E-fund has its own characteristics and significance. It
cannot be replaced by any other organization. The nature of its   nomina-
tion process, i.e.  through the individual CSS in USA to  nominate    the
primary schools and secondary schools they attended, guarantees the effi-
cient process of channelling the limited resources to the most needed. In
addition, since the local teachers and pupils can draw direct linkage be-
tween them and IFCSS through the individual  sponsor, the program carries
more momentum than just a financial help. It is a very strong message for
the importance of education by itself.   For those people who worry about
the image of IFCSS back in China due  to certain negative propaganda, ac-
tivities like this are the best    evidence that we, the overseas Chinese
students and scholars, are concerned about the interests of Chinese  peo-
ple, and are actively participating in promoting the development of China.

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************