Subject: HQ NR #7026: HQ's Letter to NIH Director on Radiation Incident

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 95 16:25:17 GMT

&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS 
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&

       *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7026   *  *  *
          _________   August 28, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[         
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ____
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington, 
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&

[Headquarters' Note] IFCSS Headquarters was informed of a radiation
contamination incident, occuring several months  ago  in   National 
Institute of Health (NIH), in which a Chinese   female postdoctoral 
researcher became the major victim with  heavy internal exposure to 
laboratory-used radiotope [P32]. IFCSS president appointed a repre-
sentative immediately after the seventh   convention to contact the 
victim, seek for legal assistance for her who has been in pregnancy 
through the whole exposure, and provide necessary help.  Up to now, 
it is Headquarters' decision to pursue the case with the consent of 
the victim,   publicly   requesting NIH authority  to look into the 
incident. The Headquarters will brief CSS community of the progress 
in this pursuit  and the health condition of the   victim in coming 
news releases.]

                         *   *   *   *   *
Headquarters' Letter to NIH Director Dr. Harold Varmus,  and  other 
related NIH officials:
 
Dr. Harold E. Varmus, Director
Director's Office,
Building 1, Room 126
National Institute of Health,
Bethesda, MD 20892 

Dear Dr. Varmus:

The Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars in  the 
U.S.A (IFCSS) was notified of  the  radiation  incident  which  was 
unveiled by news media recently involving one female  Chinese post-
doctoral researcher , Ms. [   ], who has been working at Laboratory 
of Molecular Pharmacology at NCI.

As a national organization of Chinese students and scholars  study-
ing and working in the United States, IFCSS is obligated   to  make 
every effort  to promote and protect the best interests of  Chinese 
students and scholars  in this country. We are so regretful to hear 
this unfortunate incident, and one Chinese nationale, who is  curr-
ently in pregnancy,   was   involved  by heavy internal exposure to 
laboratory-used radioactive materials.

According to the up-to-date inforamtion   this   organization   has 
obtained so far, the incident has not been   solved  and the victim 
not compensated fairly. Hence, IFCSS would hereby request the auth-
ority of NIH that,     a thorough   and   justical investigation be 
conducted; investigation reports be open and available   to   IFCSS 
headquarters based in Washington, D.C. and its legal counsel;   the 
victim be properly compensated, and   the   right   to   conduct an 
independent investigation, if necessary, reserved.

Sincerely Yours,

Xing, Zheng (signed), 
President of the Independent Federation of
Chinese Students and Scholars in the USA (IFCSS)

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************