Subject: HQ NR #7027: Infor Updated and Actions Needed on Immigration Bills

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 95 19:57:30 GMT

&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
* HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS * 
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^

       *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7027   *  *  *
          _________   August 30, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[         
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    _______
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington, 
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&

     Information Updated and Actions Needed on Immigration Bills

1. There are only several days before Congress members come  back  to
D.C. and Congress resumes.    The Coalition   on Family  Immigration- 
related Issues convened its another regular meeting Wednesday. 

This coalition  deployed a representative, Michael Munoz, to  Chicago
on Sunday to meet Congressman Henry J. Hyde, Chair of House Judiciary
Committee   (Republican),    who is  supposed to be a key person with 
rather  influential impacts on related bills in coming   weeks,   and 
bring him  abundant information,  analyses, and concerns from all the 
groups, including IFCSS, on H.R. 2202. Mr. Hyde has been quite symph-
athetic on H.R. 2202, but declined to support splitting the bill into 
two.    He asserted that there were more concerns in H.R.  2202 which 
could   not be solved by simply splitting it.  Influenced by vigorous 
lobby in  the past weeks, Mr. Hyde has changed his mind somewhat from 
original "typical" Republican stands. He was now even concerned about 
the issue of harshly sweeping "illegal" immigration.

IFCSS would like to appeal to CSS organizations in Chicago  area, and
in Illiois, especially those  groups set particularly for immigration 
issues, and general CSS, to snatch the chance   of   the last several 
days before Labor Day: send fax and give calls to his district office, 
in order to make the current breakthrough solidized.    As we   spoke 
before, each piece of message counts!

Senator Henry Hyde's information - Illinois, 6th Term
        District Office: 708 832 5950 (Addison)
   Legislative Director: Judy Wolverton
            D.C. office: 202 225 4561 (O)
                         202 225 1166 (F)
         office address: 2110-RHOB

                           *   *   *   *   *

2. Republicans from three states will play critical  roles in  pushing 
H.R. 2202 through the House Judiciary Committee, although they are not 
too many.  They all bear much more spiritual pressure from their state
constituents,    both pro or con,   in their states. The coalition has 
allocated manpower to try softening each of them,   respectively,   at 
present. IFCSS Task Force would suggest Chinese students  and scholars 
nationwide make more efforts on them by sending  them   fax   message. 
Three states and their Republican representatives are: 

 STATE/Representatives    District Office        D.C. Office

California:

  Carlos J. Moorhead       818 792 6168    202 225 4176  202 226 1279 (F)
  Elton Gallegly           805 485 2300    202 225 5811  202 225 1100 (F)
  Sonny Bono               619 320 1076    202 225 5330  202 225 2961 (F)

Texas: 

  Lamar S.Smith            512 895 1414            4236          8628
                           210 821 5024
                           915 687 5232
                           512 218 4221
                           915 653 3971

Florida:

  Bill McCollum            407 872 1962            2176          0999
  Charles Canady           813 688 2651            3376          8016

  We were encouraged to know some consequence of the lobby.    When  two
representatives of the coalition attended a party in Texas with presence 
of   Mr. Lamar Smith,     Mr. Smith admitted   that he was nervous, too, 
about the  grave concern and aggressive reactions when his H.R. 1915 was 
evolved into   more harsh H.R. 2202. He was concerned the latter   would
encounter more resistance in the House, which may eventually kill it. It
may give us a signal: we should make him concerned much more!

                          *   *   *   *   *

3. The preparation of "National Lobby Day", initiated by the  Coalition, 
proceeded with elaboration of its details.    The  detailed schedule was 
discussed at the conference this  morning again. The coalition urges all 
involved groups to send their delegates   to D.C. to attend the    lobby
activities held on September 11 to 12.

IFCSS Task Force urges the CSSAs or other CSS organizations,  especially
those in D.C. area, states of Virginia, Maryland, New Jesey, etc,  could
arrange their representatives - one to two people from each school, will
be fine. Please contact IFCSS Headquarters at:   [email-masked]  if any of
CSSAs wants to do so. IFCSS has plenty of full packages ready to be used
for congressional lobby.   We can  also mail it to you if you request it 
for  regional lobby.  Since  this  coalition  will formally  count   the
organizations,  and  participating  people  one  week  before the "Day", 
please   contact the HQ as soon as possible. If you want to stay in D.C. 
for two days' events, the  HQ   will  contact the   relevant parties  to
arragne accomendations for you.

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************