Subject: HQ NR #7028: On NJIT Tuition Repayment Agreement

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 95 19:57:36 GMT

&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS *
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^

       *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7028   *  *  *
          _________   September 1, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ______
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington,
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

    On New Jersey Institute of Techology Assistantship Agreement

The IFCSS Headquarters received an annoymous  writing  from New Jersey
Institute of Techology,   expressing   the   complaint of the school's 
policy installed in "tuition repayment agreement"   "exclusively"   on 
Chinese students. The HQ staff responded to this annoymous account for 
further explanation, and meanwhile, contacted the person, Mr. Kane, at   
Graduate School of this Institute, in order to obtain  verified infor-
mation from the school,   and   then   decide the next steps the IFCSS 
should take. When IFCSS got hold  of some information  and prepared to 
reply to this annoymous account   (the   friend   declined to disclose 
indentity though the HQ promised it would be held absolutely confiden-
tial), the same writing was posted in CND news on September 30.

  To be more responsible, IFCSS president Xing, Zheng reached Mr. Kane
's office again. Mr. Kane reiterated the points that were, this policy 
was "non-political", and imposed on all students; it was  accepted  on 
the voluntary basis; there could  be exceptions   if   students   were 
encounted with events  beyond the control, etc. When asked the reasons 
why this policy was implemented, Mr. Kane presented many.

  At this moment, IFCSS Headquarters will take two more steps: 1).  To 
contact the Institute, trying to know how the  implementation  of  the 
policy in the past,  2). present the "Agreement" to NAFSA: Association 
of International Educators, of which IFCSS is a member,  for consulta-
tion whether it's legitimate   though it's not exclusively targeted to
Chinese students.

  The IFCSS once again appreciates the friend(s) in NJIT  for  presen-
ting this complaint to the Headquarters and drawing our attention. The 
Headquarters  promises to take every actions, responsibly and  decisi-
vely, to protect the interests of all Chinese students and scholars in 
this nation.  If you  have further inquiry or other question,   please 
contact [email-masked]. Have a good weekend.

                       ___      ___        ___

[Two Documents Attached: 

1. IFCSS Headquarters' Response to the Annoymous Posting
2. Official "Tuition Repayment Agreement"]

                         *   *   *   *   *

         Complete text of NJIT's "Tuition Repayment Agreement"

I understand that tuition and/or fee support is being offered to me by 
New  Jersey Institute of Technology or by sources contracted with  New 
Jersey  Institute of Technology.  This support is provided independent 
of any stipend, hourly wages,or salary for which I may have to provide 
services.

In recognition of the tuition and/or fee support being offered to me, I 
indicate by my signature below that I accept the following   terms  and
conditions. By accepting payment of tuition and/or fees on my behalf by
NJIT and related sources,    I agree to repay all tuition and fees, for 
the  current and past academic years, should I leave the  Master's   or 
Doctoral program for which the support has been provided prior to  com-
pletion of the  degree,   without the approval and/or the initiative of 
the academic department and the Office of Graduate Studies.    Approval 
may be granted only   for good cause,  which shall be defined as events 
beyond the control of the student,such as physical disability, personal 
hardship, and similar  justifications. Specifically excluded as a basis 
for good cause shall be  departure for the purpose of obtaining outside 
employment prior to graduation.

I certify that I have read and understand the foregoing terms and  con-
ditions,  and have had the opportunity for review and consultation with 
counsel of my   choosing. This agreement is entered into   voluntarily, 
without duress or coercion, and is entered into in consideration of the 
benefits which I am to receive.

                          *   *   *   *   *

August 26, 1995 From: [email-masked]

Dear friend(s) at NJIT:

Thanks for your message and report   on  "Tuition Repayment Agreement"
from Graduate Office at NJIT. Certainly. IFCSS will look into the case,
to see the reasons why the Institute authority treats Chinese students
at NJIT in this way, which should be quite unusual, compared to common 
practice of most other universities in the   States,   in   order   to 
determine how we  should do next to protect the interests of   Chinese 
students in NJIT.

Please forward one copy of the "agreement" by mail to IFCSS  headquar-
ters, Meanwhile IFCSS will contact ISSO at NJIT. IFCSS will  have   to 
communicate with some students who did not voluntarily sign the agree-
ment in future.  Therefore, we would like to know their name(s). IFCSS 
promises to keep  this case and the names of involved students highly 
confidential, unless we are advised otherwise.

Sincerely Yours,

Xing, Zheng (signed) for the IFCSS

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************