Subject: HQ NR #7029: Los Angels Macrh for Immigrants Rights

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 95 18:35:12 GMT

&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS *
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^

       *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7029   *  *  *
          _________   September 3, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ______
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington,
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

1.       Labor Day Los Angels March For Immirgrants' Rights

The IFCSS Headquarters was informed just a moment ago that there will
be an assembly and a march in Los Angles tomorrow on September 4  for
immigrants rights. The headquarters is currently in a rush to  commu-
nicate  with CSS organizations in this area, but doesn't   make  much 
progress due to the Labor Day long weekend. We would like to urge all 
Chinese students and   scholars in LA or nearby regions who read this 
news release to  attend  the assembly,  to voice  up CSS' concern and 
show our presence and stand.

    Date:         Labor Day, September 4 (Monday)
    Time:         10:00 AM - Assembly Begins
    Place:        College St. between Hill St. & Yale St.in Chinatown
    Sponsored by: Asian Pacific Islanders for Immigrant Rights and 
                  Empowerment; Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights 
                  in LA,   Asian Pacific Planning Council
    Information:  213 665 5616

                         *   *   *   *   *

2.                    Lobby Day Participation

Since the last news release calling for response to Lobby Day action,
the Headquarters has not received encouraging responses. Because this
will be one of "ture" opportunities to meet the press and, especially
converse with Congress members or/and their staffs, we highly encour-
age local CSSAs to send their delegates to D.C.   No  body  will take
care of our benefits and rights unless we do ourselves. Without vigo-
rous expression of  our stands  and  participation of decision making
process, we should not pity the loss,  and  we  should  not blame the 
others in future. 

The IFCSS HQ staff will present  the  regular Coalition Conference on
next Wednesday, and submit all participants of the Lobby Day.  Please
make your decision, and contact the HQ as soon as you can at: 
[email-masked].

                             *   *   *   *   *
 
3. Message from Voleti at:

Dear IFCSS Headquarters:

I was browsing through Netscape and on one Lawyer's homepage, I found  
this concise note about the proposed changes inImmigration law  (H.R. 
2202):

	1. There is a proposal to reduce the amount of legal
           immigration to the U.S. by about one third. 

	2. Another proposed amendment would require  US  employers to 
           pay temporary foreign workers 110% of the median wage. 
	
	3. Also, US employer  would not be able to fire a US worker 
           to make way for a foreign worker.

	Proposals 1 is  well-known. Proposal  2  is  not that  widely 
        reported  or talked about, but  this  one is  VERY DANGEROUS. 
        This will prevent any hiring of foreign workers. THis specific 
        point  MUST be fought. The exact text  of this proposal can be  
        got from: http://www.panix.com/~rmadison/chngs.html

	Also, I  believe that Warren Leiden was  the  lone  dissenting 
        member with regard  to the  report by  the  US  Commission  on  
        Immigration Reform (June 28th '95). His points of dissent  are  
        very specific and are EXACTLY  what the IFCSS  is  saying. The  
        specific text of this  dissent can be seen at the WWW address:
	http://www.visalaw.com/~gsiskind/docs/leiden.html

	Also, I am in touch with   an Indian group called Action-India
	that is actively getting  signatures to fight this  bill. They 
	are  getting  a  tremendous  response.	

	Voleti
                         ___     ___     ___
 	                 
Dear Voleti:

Thank you for your message.

H.R.2202 is much harsher that H.R.1915, which is bad on the one hand, 
but may encounter more resistance in House committee,  on  the  other 
hand. However, all the progress and  amendments' development  depends 
on how we do the Congress lobby. If our effort is feeble,   in   this 
case we will lose more.

Will any of your colleagues be able to attend the Lobby Day on Sept.11
to Sept. 12? If yes, please drop the HQ a line, so we can send you some
package, and introduce you to this coalition for joint actions.

The HQ Staff,  September 3,

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************