Subject: HQ NR #7032: Congressional Briefing [II]

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 95 03:14:36 GMT

Please Help Forward This Post To Your Local Nets - Thank You
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS *
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^

       *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7032   *  *  *
          _________   September 9, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ______
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington,
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

1.          Congressional Briefing on Capitol Hill [II]
    -- Sponsored by Family Immigration Coalition in D.C. area

Immediately after the Hill briefing by Business Immigration Coalition,
the Family Immigration Coalition, composed of over thirty national and 
regional groups in Washington D.C.,   launched   another Congressional
Briefing on 7th of September in the Judiciary  Committee Room 2226  of
Rayburn House Office Building.  About fifty people attended the brief-
ing with 30 staffs from the Committee Representatives' offices. 

The briefing was presided by Frank Sharry, Executive Director of Nati-
onal  Immigration Forum, and several experts gave their reviews on the 
whole  H.R. 2202 and individual provisions to the audience. Staffs and 
aids from Congress members then asked a varitey of questions regarding 
the bill and related issues.   Some of them were expecially interested 
in  the splitting the bill ans kept asking the techical points for the 
split.   IFCSS President Xing  Zheng  pointed out  in  a  conversation
with some staffs following the briefing that,the H.R. 2202 was a piece 
of highly restricted and harshest legislation on immigration policy in 
the past seventy years, which would bring about a series of economical, 
cultural,  social and political outcomes if it went through. The House 
should split it, modify it, or simply re-do it  with  more  thoughtful 
visions. 

                           *   *   *   *   *

2. IFCSS  Headquarters  has  contacted  about twenty CSSA leaders from 
universities and colleges near D.C. area by phone calls or  emails  in 
the past two weeks, urging  their participation in the  National Lobby 
Day, and appealing for more vigorouslocal actions.  For  those who has 
not made appointement for visiting Congress members on  National Lobby 
Day, IFCSS staff has a complete list  of participating groups who  had 
already made it, and arrangements can be made for  joint  visit,  with 
these groups, to members' offices. Please contact the Headquarters at:  
[email-masked]

                           *   *   *   *   *

3. The following  lists  several  schedules and their developments for 
the related bills . Please pay attention to them if you are concerned.

(1). H.R. 2202  will  start its mark-up in Full House Judiciary Commi-
ttee from September 19th.   Advocating  the  blockage  or split of the 
whole bill or improvement by "good" amendments, is the major goal  for 
most of lobby groups at this moment;

(2). Senator Alan Simpson of Wyoming will  formally  introduce his new 
form of the  bill in the coming week (around Wednesday). He insists on 
combining the two  separate  bills  into  one as  previously mentioned 
which makes the benefits of most legal immigrants and  legal  immigra-
tion more vulnerable;

(3). Robert Dole's "Welfare Reform" is back with  a  new  shape  after 
modification. Unfortunately it was modified by not favoring immigrants 
at all.  Despite the bill's severe immigrant-related provisions, IFCSS 
was informed through NIF,   of assurance from    Senators' Kennedy and 
Feinstein offices that positive amendments will be offered. It's sugg-
ested  to  offer  support  to  these  amendments  and other efforts to 
improve it.

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************