Subject: HQ NR #7035: Marking Up of House Bill H.R.2202

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 19:39:27 GMT

Please Help Forward This Post To Your Local Nets - Thank You
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS *
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^

       *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7035   *  *  *
          _________   September 20, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ______
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington,
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

                Marking Up of House Bill H.R. 2202

The U.S. Congress House Judiciary Committee started to mark up of the
Immigration Reform Bill H.R. 2202 on Tuesday (September 19) which was
ended up with a new face through one day's "dirty and quick" process,
as described by Angela Kelly of National   Immigration Forum.   IFCSS
Headquarters   staff   attended   the   mark-up  conference with many 
concerned public figures and lobbyists.

There  were  approximately twenty five amendments proposed and consi-
dered to Titles I - III of H.R. 2202, mostly by Democrats on blocking 
illegal  immigrantion including border control, border crossing  I.D. 
card, number of border patrol agents, alien  smuggling, etc.   Almost 
all attempts to relieve  the blocking of the illegal immigration were 
defeated by Republicans, with one exception, surprisedly, proposed by 
Republican Lamar Smith of Texas.

It is expected that On Wednesday  and  Thursday  the  Committee  will 
complete Title III, and enter the debate on Title IV, "Enforcement of 
Restrictions Against Employer Sanctions" and Title V,"Reform of Legal 
Immigration", which  has drawn much attention from  Chinese  students 
and scholars' communities.

Therefore, there doesn't exist more opportunity  for  expressing  our 
opposition of this bill to the Judiciary Committee unless we take the 
final  chance  to call these members' staffs and send messages by fax 
to their offices.  Let's not sit on the sidelines at the last moment, 
and call the Congress:

1. Seperate legal immigration from enforcement;

2. No cut on employment-based immigration:
   Most of these  immigrants  are  highly  skilled  professionals who 
   bring specialized skills or knowledge to U.S. businesses;

3. American employers need international personnel to remain competi-
   tive:
   To be competitive in today's global economy, U.S.  employers  much 
   be able to hire personnel with specialized  knowledge  or  skills. 
   These immigrants strengthen the  ability of   U.S.   business   to 
   compete in the global marketplace;

4. Immigrant workers do not displace U.S. workers:
   Employment-based immigrants are a small fraction of the U.S. work-
   force. Recent studies have concluded that states with the greatest 
   number of immigrants overall have lower unemployment  rates   than 
   states with lower number of immigrants. Immigrants increase output 
   and demand for labor, counterracting any  negative  effect  that a 
   greater labor supply might have.

5. The employment-based immigration process protects U.S. workers: 
   In order to qualify an immigrant worker for  one  of  the  limited 
   number of employment-bsed immigrant visas, a  U.S.  business  must 
   demonstrate to the U.S. Department of Labor that no qualified U.S. 
   worker is available for the position.    This  "labor certificate" 
   process is designed to protect U.S. workers.

                     *    *    *    *    *

IFCSS Task Force urges Chinese students and scholars  nationwide just 
make  one or two phone calls to these thirty-five  Judiciary members, 
and talk to  their staffs with one or two points listed above for two 
to three minutes.   which is pretty enough for one individual who can 
do at the moment.  Counted together,   however,  calls from the whole 
communities definitely make substantial difference.

For your convenience, we list the directory of   Judiciary  Committee
members once again as following.  Please start to do it right now and 
keep their offices ringing, Thank you.

            House Judiciary Committee Directory

Republicans
Henry Hyde        - IL (Chair)       225-4561(O)    225-1166(F)
Carlos Moorhead   - CA               225-4176       226-1279
Jim Sensenbrenner - WI               225-5101       225-3190
Bill McCollum     - FL               225-2176       225-0999
George Gekas      - PA               225-4315       225-8440
Howard Coble      - NC               225-3065       225-8611
Lamar Smith       - TX               225-4236       225-8628
Steven Schiff     - NM               225-6316       225-4975
Elton Gallegly    - CA               225-5811       225-1100
Charles Canady    - FL               225-1252       225-2279
Bob Inglis        - SC               225-6030       226-1177
Bob Goodlatte     - VA               225-5431       225-9681
Steve Buyer       - IN               225-5037   (For save money)
Martin Hoke       - OH               225-5871       226-0994
Sonny Bono        - CA               225-5330       225-2961
Fred Heineman     - NC               225-1784       225-3269
Ed Bryant         - TN               225-2811       225-2814
Steve Chabot      - OH               225-2216       225-3012
Michael Flanagan  - IL               225-4061       225-3128
Bob Barr          - GA               225-2931       225-2944
John Conyers      - MI               225-5126       225-0072
Patricia Schroeder - CO              225-4431       225-5842
Barney Frank      - MA               225-5931       225-0182
Charles Schumer   - NY               225-6616       225-4183
Howard Berman     - CA               225-4695       225-5279
Rick Boucher      - VA               225-3861       225-0442
John Bryant       - TX               225-2231       225-0327
Jack Reed         - RI               225-2735       225-9580
Jerrold Nadler    - NY               225-5635       225-6923
Robert Scott      - VA               225-8351       225-8354
Melvin Watt       - NC               225-1510       225-1512
Xavier Becerra    - CA               225-6235       225-2202
Jose Serrano      - NY               225-4361       225-6001
Zoe Lofgren       - CA               225-3072       225-3336
Sheila Lee        - TX               225-3816       225-3317

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************