Subject: HQ NR #7040: New Haven "Glen & Pat" Radio Show Incident [I]

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 13:50:50 -0400

&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS 
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&

       *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7040   *  *  *
          _________   October 9, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[         
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ____
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington, 
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&

1.         Background Information about New Haven 
             "Glen & Pat" Radio Show Incident [I]

Radio talk show is a part of life to many, if not all people living 
in this land. Two months ago, "Glenn and Pat Programe" of KC 101, a 
very popular radio station located in New Haven, Connecticut,  how-
ever, broadcast a program full of words and behavoirs  to  ridicule 
Chinese and Chinese language.

The incident began on August 3, 1995,  the  "Glenn & Pat  Programe" 
broadcast a live script of staff from this radio station pretending 
as potential customers in response to  a Chinese  resturant's  sale 
ad.  The staff pretended that they knew Chinese but spoke nonsensi-
cal noise, however, they trickly claimed  to the audience that they  
were speaking Chinese.  The resturant owner did not  speak  English  
well and was confused by their "chink" noise about what  was  going 
on, so he tried very hard to cope with these   "potential  buyers".   
Of course he never knew his embarrasment was aired up.  Therefore,  
one can image that the radio station and  their staffs had a  great 
enjoyful time mocking and laughing at the resturant owner  and  his   
Chinese accents. 

The event may just fade away, if not by accident one Chinese profe-
ssional originally from mainland was listening to this  humiliating 
and insulting show at the moment. He could not help but call to the 
station, and request them to stop. The radio station staff told him
to call in next day.  So on August 4, 1995, this courageouse  young 
man called in again, with a recorder ready just in case any miscon-
ducts might happen to him. Surely enough,  Glenn and  Pat  put  him
on the air directly without notice, and stop short but  made  jokes 
and fun out of this Chinese young man.   There was another American 
staff in the station, called Alf, claiming  that  he  knew  how  to
speak Chinese,  by  making  some  absolutely nonsensical  noise and
repeating that was Chinese.  Mr. Zhihan Tong, the  young  Chinaman, 
angrily responded that it was not funny ,  it  was a  very  serious
matter, and requested for appology.

                     *   *   *   *   *

2.     Where We Are for Fighting This Discrimination?

Immediately this insulting program irritated Chinese ethnic commun-
ity composed of Chinese from mainland, Hong Kong and Taiwan in  New 
Haven.  Even some American people did not take it by calling in the  
station for telling them the program was disgusting, and protesting 
this racist behavior. In the past two months, complaints  have been 
filed to KC101 and its parent company, Clear  Channel Radio  (CCC), 
and Chinese community in the state of  Connecticut  is also   being 
mobilized  to  protest this discriminative  and  racist behavior of 
openly ridiculing Chinese and insult listeners in programs. But the
situation is that the conflict has still not found a solution.  The 
IFCSS sent two representatives, Dr. Wenhe Lu and Chengdong Lu to KC 
101 station last week, met and asked Ms. Faith Zila, General  Mana-
ger of KC 101, ten questions  about the incident, and expressed the 
grave concern of the IFCSS,   urging the station to solve the issue 
promptly.

IFCSS Headquarters appeals to all Chinese students and  scholars in
the States, paying attention to this incident which clearly  showed
how insensitively and arrogantly some public figures and communica-
tion media treat the minority ethnic community. Actaully this inci-
dent has already drawn criticism from the mainstream society in New 
Haven,  and was reported in "The Hartford Advocate",  "The Hartford 
Courant", etc. for several times.  We  urge  concerned  members  of
Chinese communities, to call or send fax to KC 101 station and  its
parental company CCC, expressing our indignation  and  wrath  about 
their discriminative program, and asking to apologize to the  whole
Chinese communities in the United States immediately.

                      *   *   *   *   *

3.      Selected Phone Numbers and Address Available

Ms. Faith Zila
General Manager
WKCI/KC 101 FM,
POBox 85, New Haven CT 06501
Tel: 203 248 8814
Fax: 203 281 2795

Mr. L. Lowry Mays
CEO
Clear Channel Communications (CCC)
200 Concord Plaza
San Antonia, TX 78216
Tel: 210 822 2828
Fax: 210 822 2299

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************