Subject: HQ NR #7041: IFCSS' Letter to Deputy Director of NIH

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 14:21:59 -0400

*  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7041   *  *  *
          _________   October 9, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[         
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ____
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington, 
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&

         IFCSS Headquarters Reiterates the Standpoints 
  for Fair Investigation of the Case and Proper Compensation of 
                          the Victim

Michael M. Gottesman, M.D.
Deputy Director Director for Intramural Research
National Institutes of Health,
Bethesda, Maryland 20892

Dear Dr. Michael M. Gottesman:

    Pursuant to your letter dated on September 28th, in  which  you 
assured strong commitment to the health and well-being of the rese-
archer in NIH, we would like to express  our  disappointment  about 
the handling of the case regarding Ms. Ma Wenli, who was internally 
exposed to the high dose lab-used radioisotope in last June, by NIH 
Administration. 

    The evidence,  collected  by this organization at  this  point,  
shows that the severity of the case was overall undermined from the 
very beginning, the detrimental effects to the victim and the fetus, 
was highly underestimated, and the suspect or the person  responsi-
ble for the incident has still been at large...

    We would like to assure you, on the other hand, that  thousands 
and thousands of  Chinese students and scholars studying  or  doing 
research in the country have been very concerned about  this  case, 
which has been drawing more and more  attention  from  the  general 
public, scientific society, as well as Chinese students  and  scho-
lars' community.

    We would reiterate our standpoints that the incident, including 
the person(s)  responsible for the incident, should  be  thoroughly 
investigated and official reports be  open  and  available  to  the 
IFCSS and CSS community; the results of independent   investigation 
should be respected and the victim must be properly compensated. 

    Sincerely Yours

    Zheng  Xing, (Signed)
    President of Independent Federation of
    Chinese Students and Scholars in the United States

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************