Subject: HQ NR #7050: KC101 Radio Station's Apology Finally Agreed and Aired

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 11:47:35 -0500

*  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7050   *  *  *
          _________   October 30, 1995   __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ______
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington,
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

      KC 101 Radio Station's Apology Finally Agreed and Aired

[Headquarters' Note] Almost three months after the incident of KC 101
Radio Station "Glenn & Pat Show", rudely ridiculing local Chinese and 
insulting the protesters, KC 101 finally bowed to local Chinese comm-
unity. Weeks ago, IFCSS released a writing apology  letter  from  Mr. 
Lowry Mays, president of  Clear Channel Communication  ( the parental 
company of KC 101), KC 101 recently came to   an agreement  with  the  
Asian Coalition Against KC 101 upon a schedule of apology to be aired.

According to the agreement, three formal apologies will be  aired  by 
Ms. Faith Zila, the VP of  Clear Channel Communications,  Inc.,  Glen 
and Alf at 7:35 am Monday, Oct. 30; 1:35 pm Tuesday Oct. 31; 5:35  pm 
Wednesday Nov. 1 and 8:35 pm Nov. 2.

The reason to repeat the same apology four times is to reach  broader 
audience of KC 101 for "maximizing" the effect of apology.  The  apo-
logy scripts are attached as following. Thanks  for  all  the efforts
made by local Asian and Chinese community,  and  thanks  to  all  CSS
nationwide for paying attention to this incident, and supporting  the
protest organized by local communities.

                    ---    *    ---    *    ---

                       Scripts of Apology

[To be read by Ms. aith Zila, Genegeral Manager of KC 101]

Announcement:  The following is an apology to our listeners for regre- 
table series of broadcasts which began on August 3rd, 1995 and persis-
ted for several days.

This is Faith Zila, Vice President and General Manager, Clear Channel 
Radio, Inc, KC101 FM.  In an attempt to be funny, the "Glen  and  Pat 
Show" staged a series of broadcasts that made fun at how foreign-born 
Chinese speak English.  Specifically, the programe entailed Alf Papi- 
neau pretending fluency in Chinese during a phone caall to a  Chinese 
restaurant.  To compound things, Glen, Pat and Alf the next day ridi-
culed Zhihan Tong, a Chinese-American who called the show to complain.

Upon reflection KC101 now understands that the bullying use of stereo-
types went over the line of acceptable comedy, and that it was funda-
mentally unfair of Glen, Pat and Alf to mistreat Mr. Tong, and especi-
ally unfair to utilize the gong sound effects. For this we are truely 
sorry and apologize to all our listeners and especially to the  Asian 
community.

Since that time, many members of the Asian-Ameriacan community, inclu-
ding the Chinese Culture Center, the Asian American Council of CT and 
The Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars  (IFCSS), 
have informed this station through various means that they were offen-
ded. In addition, we acknowledge that a number of letters complaining 
about these broadcasts were published in newspapers, and that an arti-
cle appeared in the September 14th edition of the Harford Advocate.

Recent conversations with the CT Asian-American Coalition Against KC-
101 Racism have made us aware that these actions were offensive.  For 
this, we are truely sorry.

Finally, the Morning Show and KC101 especially wish to thank the mem-
bers of the Asain-American community for taking the time to inform us 
of the things that need to do as bradcasters. And that is, to provide 
quality and responsible programming to Connecticut while  serving the 
community.

Again, to those who were offended, we are truly sorry.

                        *   *   *   *   *
[To be read by Glen]

This is Glen speaking.  I sincereky apologize to Mr. Zhihan Tong and 
all Asian-Ameriacans for the emotional pain that I have caused by my 
insensitive use of stereotypes.  I pledge that  I will not engage in 
racial stereotyping and discrediting on my show.  Furthermore I will 
make a sincere effort to learn about  racial  insensitivity  in  the 
KC101 training program currently planned by our General Manager.

                        *   *   *   *   *

[To be read by Alf Papineau]

This is Alf Papineau, Executive Producer.      On August 3rd and 4th 
Glenn and Pat Morning Show, I falsely claimed that  I spoke Chinese, 
sounded the gong in the background,and offered a fake apology to Mr. 
Tong in nonsense sounds.   I sincerely apologize to Mr. Tong and all 
Asian-Americans for the emotional pain that I caused by my  insensi-
tive use of stereotypes.  I pledge to listeners of KC101 that I will 
eliminate racial stereotyping and discrediting  on  the " Glenn  Pat
Show" in the future.  Furtheremore I will make a  sincere  effort to 
learn about racial insensitivity in the KC  101   training   program 
currently planned by our General Manager.

                        *   *   *   *   *

    The above apology is agreed upon and is agreed to be aired  four 
times in the next week.  The four time slots are:

1.  7:35 am Monday Oct. 30, 1995
2.  1:35 pm Tuesday Oct. 31, 1995
3.  5:35 pm Wednesday Nov. 1, 1995
4.  8:35 pm Thursday Nov.2, 1995.

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************