Subject: HQ NR #7065: A Novel E-Mail Account Set for Lobbying Simpson Bill & Communications between HQ and CSS Community

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 21:29:06 -0500

*  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7065   *  *  *
             _________   December 5, 1995   __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ______
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington,
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

          A Novel E-Mail Account Set for Lobbying Simpson Bill &
               Communications between HQ and CSS Community  

1. A Novel E-Mail Account Which Can Reach All Senators's Addresses

The IFCSS Chinese Community Information Center (CCIC) has just set up
an account,  [email-masked], which can reach all Senators' e- 
mail accounts,  including ten Republicans and eight Democrats, except
one whose email address is still not available.

The IFCSS didn't use S 1394 as the header of this account because the
bill will be renamed very soon after its merge with S 269.  Simpson's
office will determine the new name in a few days.

Please feel free to make use of  this account  while you want to send
a mail to all Senators in Senate Judiciary Committee.   Please remem-
ber,  while you send a message, your voice is registered.

Write your message to:    [email-masked]

                        *   *   *   *   * 

2. Partial Communications between the Headquarters and members in  CSS 
community

[HQ's Note] The Headquarters has received over three hundred pieces of
mails regarding Simpson bill, suggestions and comments.    We tried to 
respond to every individual mails in the past,  and  here we only pre-
sent you severel ones due to the limit of the space.   Thanks for your 
attention.

                          ___   ___   ___
 
From: [email-masked]

Dear IFCSS fellows,
Thanks so much for the effort. I found that the list in the above HQ 
NR #7058 had an error:  Dr. Lombardi is the President of our Univer-
sity of Florida, not North Florida. Please correct it if you could.

We, CSSA in UF, also contacted Dr. Lombardi and other key university
officials asking them to lobby the Bill.   The following is a direct 
quote from Dr. Lambardi's reply email.

"Hi,  we have been watching this bill with great concern and we have
mobilized a variety of people and organizations to lobby this issue.  
We  hope we will succeed and your letters to the legislature will be 
very helpful.  Thanks.  John "

                         *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked]>

I have noticed in the list of  University  presidents, you posted in 
the  CND, a few state universities are missing.   These universities 
are research universities, replying on high quality foreign students:
(32 institutions are omitted)

                         *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked]

Five  CSSA  leaders  and  students will held a major Congregation at 
Univ- ersity of Chicago on Dec. 2nd,    to wage a second major drive  
against S1394,    trying to reach the senators and presidents of the 
following five universities:     U of Chicago, NW Univ.,  U of IL at 
Chicago, Loyola Univ. and IL Inst. Of Tech.

Also a massive signature drive will be initiated.     Major Speakers 
include:

Elain Jin--Presidents. of UC and CSSA-Greater Chicago;
John J. Lin- Ex. Pres. of UIC and VP of Chicago Chinese Computing 
             Professional;
Ye, Miao- Pres. of Loyola Uni.  Ex. Editor of ACCA News;
Zhidong Wang -Lawyer; etc.

                         *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked] 

I believe IFCSS  has done its best for Chinese students.   No matter 
what happens,   I appreciate what IFCSS has  done  for  our  Chinese 
fellows including the CSPA.  although I am not eligible for it.    I 
will support IFCSS in the future. 

Thanks to all of you very much.

                         *   *   *   *   *

From: [email-masked]

I thought some of you might enjoy and/or find useful the   following
advocacy letter written to the Senate Immigration Subcommittee by  a
student in Computer Science.

                         ___   ___   ___
 
I am most familiar with the science and engineering  academic/indus-
trial world,    and will focus the remainder of my comments  on that 
area.  Consider the large, high-profile high-technology    companies 
which developed as small spin-offs from university research projects.  
Texas Instruments, EG&G, Digital Equipment Corporation, Bolt Beranek 
& Newman, Sun Microsystems, Bose Corporation, Silicon   Graphics and 
MIPS Computer Systems, Netscape Communications.    Just in  the past 
seven years in the Pittsburgh area, where I am, we've seen    resea- 
rchers from the Carnegie Mellon University School of Computer   Sci-
ence start up a number of companies (  Transarc Corporation,    FORE
Systems, Carnegie Group)  which have brought hundreds of high-paying
and attractive jobs to the region. Local civic leaders and    repre- 
sentatives (including Sen. Specter) continuously stress the  import-
ance of the growth of the  high-technology  sector  and the  growing
tax base, led by companies such as these.   Elsewhere, the growth of
Silicon Valley and along "Route 128" in Massachusetts,    was due to 
their proximity to the Boston and Bay Area universities.
 
But the technology which drove these  companies  in their developing
years came from university research environments.    The pre-trained
technical expertise which these companies required when these compa-
nies were "start-ups" came from university faculty and their  former 
students, many of them foreign-born.  The growth and  development of 
these companies could have been hobbled by amendments  such as those 
introduced by S.1394.  These new companies create  high-quality jobs 
for Americans, but if they would have been prevented from hiring the 
best and most appropriate people when starting out,   who  knows  if 
they would have become as successful as they are today!
 
In these days of global communications, companies can carry on busi-
ness across borders at low cost.      The amendments of S.1394 could
encourage a new high-tech enterprise to relocate partially or entir-
ely to a more amenable country,      in order to be able to hire the 
people they feel are required.  By encouraging this possibility, the
S.1394 COULD DRIVE JOBS OUT OF THE UNITED STATES, increasing unempl-
oyment rather than decreasing it!

The S.1394 restricting the employment of new immigrants are  motiva-
ted by a desire to protect American jobs for Americans.    But  this 
bill is short-sighted.  Higher-educated foreign students create jobs 
in the long-, and even medium-term, by helping to build   successful 
"start-up" firms, that, if successful, go one to create high-paying, 
high-quality jobs.

Written by: Stewart M. Clamen, [email-masked]
School of Computer Science -- Carnegie Mellon Univ.
5000 Forbes Avenue              
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3891, USA        URL:
>http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~clamen/

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************