Subject: HQ NR #7086: Asian American Political Coalition's Response to IEEE-USA's Statement on Simpson Bill

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 19:21:44 -0500

*  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7086    *  *  *
             _________  February 20, 1996   __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ______
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
 Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars in the USA
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington,
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

          Asian American Political Coalition's Response to
                IEEE-USA's Statement on Simpson Bill

  The Headquarters is hereby forwarding  Asian  American  Political 
Coalition's  response  to  IEEE-USA's Position Statement supporting
Simpson's bill, to CSS public for reference.  To express  the grave 
concern of CSS and other ethnic group of professionals,    the   HQ 
has recently compilied a collection of publications regarding Simp-
son Bill and is ready to send it  to Senators' offices, and a large 
amount of enterprises in business community.     We appeal CSS  and 
members of other ethnical communities to call, e-mail and fax  both 
House Representatives and Senators  of  your  district,  or  better 
convey the  message  to  your  American colleagues and supervisors.
Both the House and Senate are going to take actions very soon.

                      *   *   *   *   *
IEEE-USA
1828 L Street
N.W. Suite 1202
Washington, DC  20036-5104

February 16, 1996

To Mr. Vin O'Neill,

In regards to the IEEE Position Statement on Foreign  Students  and 
Our National Engineering Workforce, January 1994.
                      ------------------
Fundamental Premise:

"Excessive reliance by some American engineering schools on foreign 
graduate students may be deterimental to the objective of preparing 
citizens to meet  future competitive and technological  challenges. 
Foreign nationals often  have language  deficiencies  and  cultural 
biases that limit their effectiveness as teaching and research ass-
istants , which adversely affects the quality of educational oppor-
tunities for American Students."

- IEEE United States Activities Board, January 1994
                   ----------------------

         [ Asian American Political Coalition - Reply ]

    The  IEEE has actively lobbied Congress in support of the Simp-
son Immigration Bill which would detrimentally discriminate against 
the Asian American Community. The fundamental premise used  by  the 
IEEE Activities board  to support  it's anti-Asian position  on the 
Simpson Bill is misleading and  unjustified.   The  IEEE statement, 
alluding to Asians as having language and cultural biases,  indica-
tes sheer ignorance by the IEEE Activities Board. The same language 
has been used by rightwing extremist groups including the  Neo-Nazi 
Pioneer  Fund  which  has  financed  Charles Murray's "Bell Curve".
Clearly,   the statement used to justify IEEE position represents a 
callous attempt at "race bating".

    We have heard alot of talk about Asians as being "blood suckers" 
and "job stealers" and worse, usually  uttered  by  thrill  seeking 
talk show hosts. However, Asian Americans according to the National 
Science  Foundation  make  up a significant proportion of the coun-
try's engineers and scientists. The vast majority of  Asian  Ameri-
cans are naturalized Asian immigrants who contribute to the  Ameri-
can economy. Asian immigrants account for 28% of doctoral  scienti-
sts and engineers engaged in American high tech R&D.   IEEE's posi-
tion as  an international  engineering  society  does not provide a 
license to be used with impunity to direct hostility at a  particu-
lar racial segment of America.

Dave Chiang
Asian American Political Coalition (AAPC)

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************