Subject: HQ NR #7089: Senate Judiciary Committee Markup of S. 1394

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 12:31:26 -0500

*  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   # 7089    *  *  *
             _________   March 6, 1996   __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ______
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
 Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars in the USA
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington,
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
       From:  NAFSA: Association of International Educators

           Senate Judiciary Committee Markup of S. 1394
 
The Senate Judiciary Committee met this morning to markup S. 1394, 
"The Immigration Reform Act of 1995."    During the opening state-
ments, Sen. Spencer Abraham (R-MI)  and   Sen.  Mike DeWine (R-OH) 
expressed their misgivings about some of the legal,    employment-
based provisions of the bill. DeWine, in particular, mentioned the 
"outstanding professor/researcher"  category of  the bill, stating 
that  employers  would have  to go through "bureaucratic hoops and
loops" if such sections of the legislation remain unchanged.

After the opening statements ended,    Senator Abraham expressed a 
desire to offer an amendment which would split the bill into legal 
and illegal sections, which would be marked up and voted on separ-
ately. Senator Simpson (R-WY), quite vociferously raised an objec-
tion,   pointing out that as Chairman of the Immigration Subcommi-
ttee,     which originally marked up the bill, he had the right to 
offer the first amendment.    According to Simpson, he had several
amendments to offer which he believed would remedy some of the more
contentious employment-based provisions of the bill; thus elimina-
ting the need for the bill to be split.

With Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT),    Chairman of the full Judiciary 
Committee acting as a referee, Senators Simpson and Abraham engaged 
in a spirited debate over when Abraham's amendment would allowed to 
be offered.  At one point, Senator Simpson claimed he would invoke 
personal privilege and  threatened that even if the bill was split, 
"I can still paste it all back on the floor."

Eventually, Chairman Hatch ruled that the bill would be  marked  up 
title by   title in chronological order, with Abraham able to offer 
his amendment at a later date.  Shortly after noon, Hatch adjourned 
the markup until Thursday, March 7,   during   which Title I of the 
legislation, which deals with illegal  immigration provisions, will 
be marked up.

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************