Subject: IFCSS HQ NEWS RELEASE 7091

From: [email-masked] (Ping Lu - Surgery)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 21:42:39 -0400

&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSREL
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^

           *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7091   *  *  *
                 _________   April 15, 1995   __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[         ______
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    _________
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington, DC 20005
            Tel: (202) 347-0017              Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

              Summary of Amendments to Both Rouse Bill 2202 
                           and Senate Bill 1394

Following the  adoption of Senator  Spencer Abraham sponsored amendment 
to separate the  Simpson Bill S 1394  into  legal and  illegal portions 
on March 14. the  House passed  an amendment, likewise, to  divide  the 
Smith Bill  HR  2202  into  two  separate  one, dealing  with legal and 
illegal   immigration,  respectively, on  March  21.   Therefore,   the  
fighting of multiple coalition groups for protecting legal  immigration 
have achieved their primary goals.  Since the harsh  provisions related 
to employment-immigration   had already  been  deleted  from both Smith 
bill and Simpson bill   during their  marking-up  processes, and  minor 
restrictions in Smith bill are now in a separate legal immigration part, 
the immediate threats to employment and immigration of foreign students 
and professionals are relieved at the current moment.

The IFCSS Headquarters sent acknowledgment letters to   Representatives 
Dick  Chrysler  (Michigan,  R),  Howard   Berman  (California, D),  Sam 
Brownback (Kentucky, R), Tam  David  (Virginia, R)  and  Calvin  Dooley 
(California, D)   and  Philip  Crane (Illinois, R),  for  their   joint 
sponsorship of  the  House  amendment to  HR 2202.  In Senate Judiciary
Committee, those  who  support  Mr. Abraham  to  separate the bill are, 
Orrin Hatch (Utah, R), Strom Thurmond (SD, R), Arlen Specter (Penn. R), 
Fred Thompson (Tennessee,  R),  Mike  Dewine (Ohio, R),  Joseph  Biden, 
(Delware, D), Edward  Kennedy (Mass. D),  Patrick   Leahy (Vermont, D), 
Paul Simon (Illinois, D), Herber  Kohl  (Wisc. D)   and  Russ Feingold 
(Washington, D). The IFCSS  urges Chinese students and scholars to send 
your thanks-notes to the members in your district or state. We can  not 
predict   whether  there  will  be   another  wave of  anti-immigration
sentiment,  triggered merely by spontaneous events  or  press, sweeping 
the States  in near future, and  what   we  can do  is   to support the 
supporters  of the legal immigration in Congress,  and  let   the facts 
speak.

Senator  Edward Kennedy introduced an amendment,  supported    strongly 
by the White  House, to  protect the employment  of   American citizens 
immediately  after Simpson   withdrawn   almost all provisions  against 
employment o f alien   professionals in   early March. We respect  this 
amendment, and  will keep our eyes open as the   Bill S 1394 bearing it 
moves to the Senate floor.

The IFCSS urges  CSS community to pay attention to  illegal portion  of 
both S 269 and Smith bill, in which basic human   rights of immigrants, 
though illegal,  are deprived on certain occasions,especially childrens 
will not be able  to have medication if the bills are writen into   the 
law by the end of  the year. Now it is the right time for us to express 
our concern to lawmakers.

Numerous efforts  have been made in the past   eight months up from the 
IFCSS down to all concerned CSS, CSS organizations, local CSS  leaders. 
Our congratulations  go to all concerned Chinese students, scholars and 
professionals throughout  the nation. You are part of success.  We, all 
at the IFCSS, wish you well, and have a pleasant Sprinttime! 

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************

XE K��lHYPH    DLL KYL2�DOC207BTMP �� ���
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEAS�)����fh���/y��+m���0|�
W����� g��7��	W	�	�	#
%
d
�
�
:bd��#e��'n��7~���U��J��Y���T����2y�N��#%')����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������!�!]F	
ީ���������?��G���)�)(Times New Roman	Symbol&Arial��	�	���	�"��h}:}&4)Dean BowmanDean Bowman