Subject: HQ NR #7094: Dissident & Student Leader Liu Gang Fled to the USA

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 18:08:05 -0400

*  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   # 7094    *  *  *
             _________   May 3,  1996   __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ______
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
 Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars in the USA
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington,
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

       Dissident and Student Leader Liu Gang Fled to the USA

  Liu Gang, one of student leaders in Tiananmen pro-democratic move-
ment in 1989, successfully  escaped from China and arrived in the USA 
on Wednesday. Liu Gang's arrival, since disclosure  last  night,  has 
immediately drawn wide attention of the press and the public, and may
enhance the discussion on issues related to China-US relation,  which
is still at very subtle situation particularly when the U.S. Congress  
has started its annual debates on MFN and other relevant topics.

  Liu Gang graduated from  China University of Science and Technology 
in 1983. He was also a graduate student at Beijing University majored 
in Physics.  Actively involved in 1989 pro-democratic movement,   Liu 
Gang was listed as number three among 21 Most-Wanted student  leaders 
by Chinese government.  He  was  arrested  two weeks later after June 
Fourth masscare, and served six years in prison.   It has been widely 
reported that  Liu Gang was constantly tortured in jail,   which even 
triggered a letter drive campaign  in  1993, initiated   by  overseas 
Chinese students and scholars to Chinese authority,  expressing grave 
concern about his condition of imprisonment.  Liu  Gang  was released 
last June and he had been reportedly harassed and followed by securi-
ty officers, and his friends had been threatened for keeping in  con-
tact with him.  He couldn't find a job, and his life had been closely 
under survillance by the authority.

  IFCSS officials met with Liu Gang on Wednesday.  Liu Gang presented 
his observation and prospect of  political  and  social  situation in 
China, and students' lives on campuses.   It  is  expected that he is 
going to attend some press conferences. He has not decided whether to
go to  school  for  continuing  academic study or devote himself full 
time to overseas opposition movement.

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************