Subject: China IMP/EXP News (11/29/93)

From: [email-masked] (China Link Club)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1993 00:38:11 -0500

**********************************************************************       
 #                                                                    # 
 #       C H I N A     I M P O R T / E X P O R T     N E W S          #
 #       ---------     -------------------------     -------          # 
 #                                                                    #
 #           A WEEKLY NEWSLETTER BY THE CHINA-LINK CLUB               #
 #                                                                    #
 #                   E-mail: [email-masked]                     #
 #                                                                    #
 **********************************************************************

                         November 29, 1993

========================================================================
        CONTENTS                                                  LINES
        --------                                                  -----
A) Goods Wanted (10 items).........................................100
B) Goods For Sale (3 items).........................................34
C) China market watch (5 items)....................................107
D) New Service: Fax-On-Demand system................................20
========================================================================

      &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
      &  NOTE:  Contact information will be available on  &
      &         the fax-on demand system. The document    &
      &         for this issue is 4.                      &
      &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A: Goods Wanted................................................100 lines
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) WHOLE PRODUCTION LINE OF MONOCLONAL ANTIBODY FOR 
   DIAGLOSIS OF CANCER (#B9311291)

       Projected investment:6 to 10 million chinese yuan.
       Enviroment:Projected production enviroment is located 
       in the special ecnomic zone in south China.  

2) 50,000 USED TIRES (#B9311292)

       50,000 used tires  
       Quote CIF in Tianjin 

3) KRAFT PAPER (#B9311293) 

       280g/sq.m, 1600 m/roll, colored  
       need: 200-300 tons/month 
       Quote CIF in Qingdao  

4) (44031)  AMERICAN PINE WOOD LOGS (#B9311294) 
 
    A. Detailed product description:  american pine wood log 
    B. Product specifications/technical data: log length: 
       1Om; log diameter:  30cm, 25cm, 20cm 
    C. Quantity:  20 thousand cubic meters 
    D. US dollar value:  open 
    E. Purchase needed by:  ASAP 

5) (84223)  PACKING MACHINERY  (#B9311295)
 
    A. Detailed product description: automatic paper box 
       filling (with glass bottles for soft drinks) and sealing 
       equipment 
    B. Product specifications/technical data:  none 
    C. Quantity:  one set for the first deal 
    D. US dollar value:  open 
    E. Purchase needed by:  within one year 

6) (3811) PETROLEUM ADDITIVES (#B9311296)
 
    A. Detailed product description:  petroleum additives of 
       T603 viscosity index improve (Paratone n.108), ECA.6911, 
       ECA.11218, T105 (HF-104, MCCA, BCK-3, LP-L-250, 205) and 
       T154 dispersant (ECA1140 OR ECA7474) 
    B. Product specifications/technical data: none 
    C. Quantity:  100 MTS for T603 viscosity index improver 
       (Paratone N.108), 100 MTS FOR ECA.6911, 100 MTS for 
       ECA.11218, 100 MTS for T105 (HF-104, MCCA, BCK-3, LP-L- 
       205) and 100 MTS for T154 dispersant (ECA1140 OR ECA7474) 
    D. US dollar value:  none 
    E. Purchase needed by:  ASAP 

7) (28141)  DIAMMONIUM (#B9311297) 
 
    A. Detailed product description:  diammonium 
    B. Product specifications/technical data:  none 
    C. Quantity:  20,000  tons 
    D. US dollar value:  1 million 
    E. Purchase needed by:  no later than the end of december 
       of 1993 

8) (90011)  OPTICAL FIBER (#B9311298)
 
    A. Detailed product description:  optical fiber 
    B. Product specifications/technical data: none 
    C. Quantity:  about 10,000 miles per year 
    D. US dollar value:  none 
    E. Purchase needed by:  before each quarter of 1993 

9)  ANALYTICAL SCANNER (#B9311299)

    A. Detailed product description: the extinction analytical 
       scanner of biomed series including main machine and software, 
       etc. 
    B. Product specifications/technical data: n/a 
    C. Quantity: a set 
    D. U.S. dollar value: n/a 
    E. Purchase needed by: 2-6 months 
    F. Other information: irregular purchase based on best price 
       and terms available at time when products are needed. 

10) (90062)  MICROFORM SYSTEM (#B93112910)
 
    A. Detailed product description: the microform system is 
       composed of microform photographer, microfilm developing 
       machine, reading machine, copy machine, reductor, photo-disk 
       storager and engineering figure microformer. 
    B. Product specifications/technical data: n/a 
    C. Quantity: a set 
    D. U.S. dollar value: n/a 
    E. Purchase needed by: 2-6 months 
    F. Other information: irregular purchase based on best price 
       and terms available at the time when products are needed. 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
B: Goods For Sale ............................................34 lines
----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) SCRAP STEEL (#S9311291)

    a. #1 Scrap steel, 120,000 MT, 20,000 MT per shipment
       Price: 150 USD/MT 
       C&F major China port.
       Delivery: 90 days after L/C confirmed.
       Loading PLace: Southern America Pacific Port.

    b. #1 Scrap steel, 30,000 MT, 
       Price: USD 147/MT 
       C&F China major port.
       Delivery: 45 days after L/C confirmed.
       Loading port: any Middle East Port.

2) MOTOROLA PAGER (#S9311292)

       Motorola Advisor Pager with simplified Chinese Display.
       Quantity: 10,000 sets per month.
       Price: $229 per set CIF Hong Kong or Beijing, Shanghai airport.
       Minimum Order: 2,000 sets.
       Delivery: 20-45 days after L/C comfirmed.

3) MOTOROLA CELLULAR PHONE (#S9311293) 

       Motorola Cellular Phone for China (E-TAC system made in England)
       Quantity: Over 10,000 sets per month.
       Price: $670 per set for 8800X
       $730 per set for 9800X (micro-tac classic)
       $970 per set for 9900X (micro-tac II)
       CIF Hong Kong.
       Minimum Order: 
       1,000 sets for L/C order, 200 sets for Cash Order.
       Delivery: 30 days after L/C confirmed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
C: CHINA MARKET WATCH.......................................107 lines
----------------------------------------------------------------------

  1)  CHINA FASHION EXPO '94.................................21 lines

[Beijing, 27-NOV-1993] Chinese clothing manufacturers plan to be 
part of the world's top fashion scene by organizing the 1994 China 
International Clothing & Accessories Fair (Chic '94), fashion experts 
said yesterday. The grand exhibition, scheduled from April 27 to 
May 1 next year in Beijing, will feature  displays of grments and 
accessories. It will sponsor professional seminars and serve 
as a meeting place for business negotiations. 
 
According to Tan An, Chairman of the Organizing Committee, the
scale of Chic '94 is expected to exceed Chic '93, which attracted 
such designers as Pierre Cardin, Valentino and Ferre, as well 
as nearly 200 foreign manufacturers and more than 300 domestic 
dealers. 
 
Chic '94 will host Donna Karan from the United States, Issey Miyake 
from Japan and Giorgio Armani from Italy. They will display their 
latest degisns on the T-shaped runway at the World Trade Centre. 
Hong Kong will send a delegation of more than 60 local fashion
dealers to the fair, according to a representative of the Hong 
Kong Trade Development Council. 

2) FISHER-ROSEMOUNT FORUM ON PETROCHEMICAL CO-OPS.........16 lines 

[China Daily News Wire, 26-NOV-1993, Reporter Wu Yunhe] 
 
The US-based Fisher-Rosemount company is holding a seminar in 
Beijing to discuss further cooperation with its Chinese petro-
chemical customers. Representatives from more than 55 companies 
under the China Petrochemical Corporation are attending the 
three-day meeting, which opened yesterday. 
 
Fisher-Rosemount officials said they aim to improve their work
with the Chinese petrochemical industry, which has become the 
company's largest single customer. Fisher-Rosemount's sales here 
grew by 40 per cent from 1991-92. Last year, the American company 
received orders of around $40 million from its Chinese customers. 
And its sales here are expected to further increase this year.

3) MERCEDES-BENZ LAUNCHES  NEW MODEL TO CHINESE MARKET....30 lines 
 
[China Daily News Wire, 26-NOV-1993]
 
The German motor company Mercedes-Benz yesterday launched its new
Compact Class as it bids to expand its presence in China. The 
company believes the C-class cars will be a big success on the 
Chinese market, said Chinese operation president Karlheiz Michel 
at the launch ceremony in Beijing. 

The new cars are the smallest Mercedes. They were put on the European
market early this year and later appeared in North America.  There 
are four models -- C220 Elegance, C220 Esprit, C220 Sport, and C180 
Classic -- which Beijing general manager Franz Amann said cater to
different consumer groups. The prices range from 49,500 marks ($27,000) 
to 57,500 Marks ($33,800).
($33,800). 
 
There are now cars in China and the large S-class accounts for 80
to 90 per cent of all Mercedes-Benz in the country.  With the 
introduction of the comparatively inexpensive C-Class, the company
expects to further boost its sale in the booming Chinese market.

The company has signed two co-operative contracts with China. 
A co-operative enterprise with Shanghai Automobile Industry
Company will begin work in the middle of next year to produce 
luxurious buses with aproduction line imported from Turkey. 
Negotiations with the Beijing Jingda Bus Plant are also under
way. The company also plans to establish more co-operative projects 
to transfer high technology and expand its service network 
nationwide, Michel said.

4) BASF SEALS CONTRACT ON PESTICIDES.......................13 lines 
 
[China Daily News Wire 26-NOV-1993  Reporter Zhang Yu'an] 
Leading German chemical firm Basf AG signed an agreement in Beijing 
yesterday to cooperate on farm pesticide research and production. 
The deal with the Chemical Industry Ministry is a further indication 
of growing German investement in Chinese market. Another chemical giant 
Hoechst has already signed a deal on long term cooperation with the 
ministry. 

The Basf deal calls for cooperation in the research and development of 
new pesticides, technology transfers, production and training of
personnel. Both sides have also agreed to set up a special coordinating
group to select and oversee projects. 

5) DIGITAL EQUIPMENT TO SET UP 
   NETWORKING TRANING CENTER IN BEIJING......................17 lines

[China Daily News Wire, Beijing, 25-NOV-1993]

US-based Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) signed contracts
The US-based Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) signed contracts
to launch a new training centre in China on Tuesday. The centre 
to train computer network personnel in Beijing is being set up with 
China's Academy of Sciences (CAS). Almost $600,000 will be invested 
in the first stage, $400,000 of which will come from CAS and the 
other $170,000-plus from DEC. 
 
"The purpose of the centre is to train China's computer technicians," 
said Bobby Choonavala, vice-president of the American computer giant. 
"We are introducing not only our own products, but also products 
and technology from other companies." Meanwhile, DEC has signed a 
joint-venture agreement with the China National Space Administration 
(CNSA) to produce and market computers in China.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
D: NEW SERVICE: RETRIEVING INFO BY FAX......................20 lines 
---------------------------------------------------------------------

 In order for the reader to access the trade information, we have set
 up a dedicated automatic fax-on-demand system.   Currently only the
 4 latest issues are available in the system, and the service is now 
 free of charge to all users.  However, we will require a China-Link 
 membership for its future use. 

                 How to use the FAX-ON-DEMAND system...

               **This service requires a fax machine***
               ****with touch tune dialing function****

  1) Dial 1-317-743-5299 from your fax machine. (If you are dialing
     from outside of US, you need to add US country code as prefix.) 
  2) To retrieve information by fax, press 2.
  3) After the beep, enter your fax number and a # sign.
         Example:     Your fax number is ---> (123) 456-7890
                               You enter ---> 1234567890#
  4) Enter the document number you want to retrieve. 
  5) To start retrieving documents, press "start" key on your fax 
     machine. 

*--------------------------------------------------------------------*
*                                                                    *
*  Please send all your e-mail responses to [email-masked].    * 
*  Please define your messages with following keywords in your       *
*  SUBJECT line:                                                     *
*                                                                    *
*         IF YOU WANT...                     SUBJECT...              *
*                                                                    *  
*     TO SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBCRIBE:               SUB or UNSUB            *
*     TO CONTRIBUTE/ADVERTISE:               AD or NEWS              *
*     TO RESPOND TO TRADE LEADS:             TRADE                   *
*     TO JOIN THE CHINA-LINK CLUB:           CLUB                    * 
*                                                                    *
*      !! Please also include your name, mailing address,  !!        *
*      !! phone number, fax number & contact person(s)     !!        * 
*      !! in the message body for the CLUB subject.        !!        *
*                                                                    *
*--------------------------------------------------------------------*