Subject: China IMP/EXP News (12/20/93)

From: [email-masked] (wangc)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 93 23:25:15 CST

**********************************************************************
 #                                                                    # 
 #       C H I N A     I M P O R T / E X P O R T     N E W S          #
 #       ---------     -------------------------     -------          # 
 #                                                                    #
 #           A WEEKLY NEWSLETTER FROM THE CHINA-LINK CLUB             #
 #                                                                    #
 #                      E-mail: [email-masked]                  #
 #                                                                    #
 **********************************************************************
     
                    Merry Christmas To Our Readers !
 
                      December 20, 1993 (CN931220)

CONTENTS                                                           LINES
========================================================================
A) Goods Wanted (4 items)...........................................110
B) Goods for Sale (2 items)..........................................27
C) China market watch (5 items).....................................241
D) Telephone Number Upgrades in Nine Chinese Cities/Counties ....... 40
========================================================================

   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
   $  NOTES: Contact information for goods wanted or for sale is   $
   $         available on the Fax-On Demand system. The document   $ 
   $         number for this issue is 3.                           $ 
   $                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                           $
   $         The fax number for retrieving info by fax is:         $
   $                       (317) 743-5299                          $
   $                                                               $
   $         Back issues and help file on how to use the           $
   $         Fax-On-Demand System can be retrieved from            $
   $         ifcss.org (directory: /org/cnlink) via FTP or Gopher  $ 
   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A) Goods Wanted ( items)..............................................110
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)  (#B9312221)
          84811  VALVES OF DIRECTIONAL CONTROL, PRESSURE
                 CONTROL AND FLOW CONTROL

PRODUCT DATA

A. DETAILED PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:  ISO STANDARD PRESSURE
   CONTROL VALVES, FLOW CONTROL VALVES AND DIRECTIONAL
   CONTROL VALVES, WHICH COMPRISE A WHOLE SET OF PRODUCTION
   LINE.
B. PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS/TECHNICAL DATA:
   1).  DIRECTIONAL CONTROL VALVES:
   MOUNTING SURFACE   MAX FLOWS   MAX PRESSURE   QUA.
   CETOP 03         80 L/MIN    350 BAR       3000
   CETOP 05        100 L/MIN    315 BAR       3000
   2).  PRESSURE CONTROL VALVES:
   RELIEF TYPE:
   INTERFACE   MAX FLOWS   MAX PRESSURE   QUA.
     10    2001/MIN    315 BAR       1000
     20         4001/MIN    315 BAR       1000
     32         6001/MIN    315 BAR       1000
   SEQUENCE TYPE:
   INTERFACE   MAX FLOWS   MAX PRESSURE   QUA.
     10        150 L/MIN     315 BAR      1000
     25        300 L/MIN     315 BAR      1000
     32        450 L/MIN     315 BAR      1000
   UNLOADING TYPE:
   INTERFACE   MAX FLOWS   MAX PRESSURE   QUA.
     10         80 L/MIN     315 BAR      1000
     20        2001/MIN      315 BAR      1000
     30        3001/MIN      315 BAR      1000
   3).  FLOW CONTROL VALVES:
   FLOW RESTRICTOR VALVES:
   INTERFACE   MAX FLOWS   MAX PRESSURE   QUA.
      6        50 L/MIN      315 BAR      1000
      10       75 L/MIN      315 BAR      1000
      16       180 L/MIN     315 BAR      1000
C. QUANTITY:  30 THOUSAND SETS OF VALVES OF DIRECTIONAL
   CONTROL VALVES, PRESSURE CONTROL VALVES AND FLOW CONTROL
   VALVES.
D. U.S. DOLLAR VALUE:  OPEN
E. PURCHASE NEEDED BY:  ASAP
F. OTHER INFORMATION:  

2) (#B9312222)
870331  NEW OR USED CARS

PRODUCT DATA

A. DETAILED PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:  NEW PASSENGER CARS,
   AMERICAN CARS AND JAPANESE CARS
   MANUFACTURED IN THE USA AS WELL AS USED CARS.
B. PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS/TECHNICAL DATA: NEW CARS ARE
   FOR USE ON CHINESE ROADS IN MAINLAND CHINA.  USED CARS
   LIKE TOYOTA COROLLA 2.0, NISSAN AND TOYOTA CAMRY 2.0,
   HONDA ACCORD. SUBJECT FIRM IS LOOKING FOR LEFT-HAND
   DRIVE AND MANUFACTURED IN 1987/1988.
C. QUANTITY: ON-GOING PURCHASE FOR NEW CARS AND USED
   CARS ABOUT 12 UNITS IN TOTAL
D. U.S. DOLLAR VALUE:  NOT AVAILABLE
E. PURCHASE NEEDED BY: IMMEDIATE
F. OTHER INFORMATION: PAYMENT TERMS: LETTER OF CREDIT.
   SHIPPING TERMS: FOB USA.

3) (#B9312223)

8479899  A PLASTIC GRASS CARPET PRODUCTION LINE

PRODUCT DATA

A. DETAILED PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: THIS PRODUCTION LINE CAN
   PROCESS ORDINARY POLYETHYLENE AND SOME REGRANULATED WASTE
   PLASTIC INTO GRASS CARPETING.
B. PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS/TECHNICAL DATA: OUTPUT: APPROXIMATELY
   ONE METER PER MINUTE; RAW MATERIAL: POLYOLEFINS AND MIXTURES;
   CARPET WIDTH: ABOUT 910 MM; CARPET THICKNESS: ABOUT 17 MM;
   CARPET WEIGHT: 2.5-2.8 KG/M; WATER COOLING TAP OR ENCLOSED
   CIRCUIT; ELECTRICITY: 220/380V, 50 HZ, 50-60 KVA; COMPRESSED
   AIR: 7 BAR, 500 NL/MIN.
C. QUANTITY: ONE SET
D. U.S. DOLLAR VALUE: AROUND USD 1.2 MILLION
E. PURCHASE NEEDED BY: ASAP
F. OTHER INFORMATION: IRREGULAR PURCHASE BASED ON BEST PRICE
   AND TERMS AVAILABLE AT TIME WHEN PRODUCTS ARE NEEDED.

4) (#B9312224)
Description:
          9020  CLOSED-CIRCUIT SELF-CONTAINED BREATHING
                APPARATUS

PRODUCT DATA

A. DETAILED PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:  CLOSED-CIRCUIT SELF-
   CONTAINED BREATHING APPARATUS
B. PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS/TECHNICAL DATA:  NONE
C. QUANTITY:  OPEN
D. US DOLLAR VALUE:  OPEN
E. PURCHASE NEEDED BY:  ASAP
F. OTHER INFORMATION:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
B) GOODS FOR SALE .......................................................27
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) (#S9312221)
Subject:  TiN-Coated 1/8" double-end HSS Drill Bits
 
Subject: TiN-Coated 1/8" Double-End HSS Drill Bits For Sale
Qantity: 10,000 dozen
Package: 1 dozen in each plastic bag

PRICE:  USD 2.30 EACH DOZEN,    TOTAL USD 23,000.00
TERM:   DELIVERY TO YOUR DESTINATION
PAYMENT: DOMESTIC L/C AT SIGHT
DELIVERY:  NEGOTIABLE

2) (#S931222)

Name: Non-woven fabric face mask.
Usage: Disposable non-woven fabric face mask is a vital form of contamination
       control garment; It protects the production environment from human
       contamination. Mainly for electronic and hospital usage.
Package: 50 pcs / poly bag 
Payment: L/C or T/T.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
C) CHINA MARKET WATCH ....................................................241
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)  RETAIL PRICE INDEX TO FALL BY YEAR END

21-NOV-1993 By Ren Kan The retail price index is expected to drop
moderately in the fourth quarter of this year, the State Information
Centre predicts. The index in October-December is expected to grow by
13.8 per cent, one percentage point less than the third quarter of this
year. And the index for the entire year is expected to amount to 12.3
per cent, according to a report issued by the centre. The retail price
index measures fluctuations in the prices of the country's retail goods
based on a selection of major items. The drop in inflation will make
bank deposits more attractive, as people decide prices are not going to
increase as fast as previously and therefore put their money in the
bank.

The interest rate for one-year fixed-term saving at present stands at
10.98 per cent, still lower than the inflation rate. And the State's
strict control on illegal loans and the return of the value-reserve
deposit -- which guarantees depositers an interest rate higher than the
current national inflation rate -- will also convince some Chinese
residents to put their money in banks instead of spending it. That will
lead to a slower increase in the total retail sales volume in the
fourth quarter of this year, the report said. During the last three
months of this year, the total volume is expected to amount to 371.3
billion yuan ($65.1 billion), up 22.6 per cent over the same period of
last year. The total retail sales volume for this year is expected to
increase more by 23 per cent to 1.34 trillion yuan ($234.98 billion).
The report predicts industrial output in the fourth quarter will
gradually see the end of the decline that started in June.

But the report said the recovery will not be significant and the
industrial output may drop again in the first quarter of next year. The
industrial output value is expected to amount to 945 billion yuan
($165.7 billion), 19.7 per cent more than the same period last year.
The growth of the output value in September was 19.1 per cent. The
growth of investment in fixed assets in the fourth quarter will
continue to decline, the report said. By the end of this year, the
total investment in fixed assets will amount to 1.15 trillion yuan
($201.75 billion), an increase of 46 per cent over last year. Of that
figure, 800 billion yuan ($140 billion) will go to State enterprises,
an increase of 51 per cent over last year. The report predicts the
trade deficit in the fourth quarter will continue to increase, although
exports will be boosted and imports eased due to the sluggish domestic
market. During the October-December period, the country's total export
value will enjoy a 14-per-cent jump to hit $31.4 billion. But at the
same time, total import value will rise by 22 per cent to reach $34.2
billion. It is estimated the total export value this year will hit $92
billion, 8.9 per cent more than last year.

And the import value this year will rise by 27 per cent to $102.4
billion. That means China could suffer a $10.4-billion deficit in its
foreign trade. That would be the first deficit for China since 1989.
There are differing opinions on the likely size of the deficit. Last
week a foreign trade official told Business Weekly the year-end deficit
might be kept under $9 billion. END

2  TRADE FAIR IN HAINAN FRUITFUL

03-DEC-1993; 03-DEC-1993 by our staff reporter

HAIKOU -- Hainan Province's Trade Fair '93 recently ended after a week
of furious trade dealing.  At the fair, 72 foreign-funded enterprises
and projects were approved with a total investment of $1.46 billion.
The figure was a 30 per cent increase over last year's event.
Contracts with foreign partners at the fair involved $886 million.Among
foreign-funded projects, the real estate sector received $1.15 billion
and industrial projects received $181 million. Tourism and agriculture
also attracted investment.Investors at the fair come from the United
States, Singapore, Canada, Australia,Thailand, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Tourism attracted 460 million yuan ($79 million) of investment.
According to Mao Zhijun, vice governor of the province, trade was
"booming" at the fair.  Forty-two domestic enterprises signed 415
export contracts with foreign entrepreneurs valued at $350 million. The
figure is a rise of $40 million, or 13 per cent, over last year's
fair.  Trade volume among mainland enterprises reached 853 million yuan
($147 million).More than 2,000 overseas and 3,000 Chinese entrepreneurs
attended the fair, which coincided with the China Science and
Technology Fair '93 held in Haikou.  At the science fair, over 500
contracts involving 380 million yuan ($66 million) were clinched. About
30 per cent of the technology and products traded were purchased by
enterprises of Hainan Province. Meanwhile, a delegation led by Senior
Minister Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore arrived in Hainan on Tuesday for a
three-day visit.  The delegation, which consists of Singapore officials
and 12 noted entrepreneurs, aims to investigate the province's
investment environment, Lee said. The minister said his country is
interested in investing in Hainan Province.  He said Hainan Province
has high tourism potential and the local construction and economic
development impressed him deeply.  During the tour, Lee met with Tian
Jiyun, Vice Chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's
Congress, and Hainan Governor Ruan Chongwu.  END

3  YOGURT GIANT PLANS TO LAUNCH 23 STORES

29-NOV-1993; 29-NOV-1993 by Kathleen Connors

The US-based TCBY, the world's largest frozen yogurt franchise, plans
to open 23 stores in China.  With its Hong Kong partner, Top Green
International, TCBY plans to open its first store in Shanghai next
autumn.

In an exclusive interview with China Daily, Herren Hickingbotharm,
president of The Country's Best Yogurt, said that "the growth in China
represents tremendous opportunities for TCBY. The company is very
enthusiastic about expanding the TCBY brand and franchise concept to
China.'' Throughout Southeast Asia, TCBY has had a "tremendous response
from consumers regarding our product," Hickingbotham said. With stores
in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan and Taiwan, entering China's
mainland was TCBY's natural next step.

Though frozen yogurt is not widely known to Chinese consumers,
Hickingbotham believes that Chinese consumers will enjoy TCBY's
flavours and textures, which are similar to ice cream, as well as the
desert's low fat and calorie content.

Initial market research indicated that Chinese consumers were
particularly found of the company's fruit flavors, said Hickingbotham,
but he stressed that more investigation would have to be done.

Shanghai was chosen as "a good launching pad" for the company because
yogurt consumption in the cosmopolitan city is the highest in China and
because "international brands do well in Shanghai." TCBY is also
seeking to form a joint venture with a local da iry operation.  "To be
a strong competitor in the Chinese market we will need to manufacture
locally," Hickingbotham said.

American Foods, the TCBY dairy subsidiary in Dallas, Texas, will bring
American manufacturing expertise and technology to the dairy joint
venture, which is expected to begin producing frozen yogurt by next
spring.  "In addition to marketing TCBY yogurt in our shops, TCBY will
also be looking to distribute the product in food service channels and
in retail channels in China," Hickingbotham said.  "TCBY is very
committed to being a successful, long term player in China.'' END

4  CHINESE BUY MORE CONSUMER PRODUCTS

MDNM/25-NOV-1993; 25-NOV-1993 by our staff reporter Wu Yunhe

A continuous boom in the Chinese consumer market is expected to push
this year's domestic retail sales to more than 1,350 billion yuan
($232.8 billion), up 22 per cent from 1992.

During the first three quarters sales were up 22.4 per cent to 968.7
billion yuan ($167 billion).  Despite the growing demand, "a balance is
ensured in the demand and supply of consumer goods on the domestic
market through this winter and next spring," a government economic
report predicted.

The rise in institutional spending and inflation have been brought
under control by intensified macro-economic measures taken by the
government, the report said.  According to economists in the State
Statistics Bureau, a significant rise in personal income has fueled
demand and invigorated production, creating a greater variety of
goods.

In the second half of this year, however, the government has increased
bank savings through a substantial raise in the deposit interest rate.
Since May, the bank rate for one-year fixed deposits has risen from
7.56 per cent to 10.98 per cent. In analyzing consumer trends, bureau
economists concluded that the supply of durables like imported
high-cost home electronics, has already reached the saturation point.
This year, foodstuffs are expected to account for 55 per cent of the gross
retail sales, a drop of 0.4 percentage points from last year.

Fabrics and garments, also major consumer items, will amount to 17 per
cent of the gross retail sales, up 0.7 per cent from last year.  The
demand for interior decoration, personal computers, telephone sets, air
conditioners and stationery -- all popular items among urbanites --
will continue to grow through this winter and next spring, the report
predicted.  By contrast, demand for consumer goods on the rural market
has grown sluggishly.  Slow growth of farmer's incomes may widen the
gap between urban and rural sales, bureau economists said, adding that
overall growth of most consumer goods will slow down in the coming
year.

Economists expect domestic producers to intensify their competition by
improving their product quality, variety, design and post-sales service
while reducing prices to lure consumers.  Calculated on a quarter
-to-quarter basis, the yearly growth rate during the first three
quarters of this year showed a drop of 4.6 percentage points as
compared with the peak annual growth rate in the second quarter of this
year -- just before the govern ment started to strengthen its
macro-economic control over the national finance.

5  US HI-TECH FIRM TO OPEN JOINT VENTURES IN CHINA 
 
28-NOV-1993; 28-NOV-1993 By Wu Yunhe 
 
Fisher-Rosemount, a major subsidiary of US-based Emerson Electric
Company, is working to strengthen its presence in the Chinese market.
Larry Soule, the company's president for Asia-Pacific, said his company
will soon make a major investment in the petrochemical industry in
China.  "We hope to sign contracts with partners in China's
petrochemical industry to set up two joint ventures within the next
three months," he told Business Weekly in an interview.

Fisher-Rosemount, which ranks among the world's largest industrial
companies with annual sales of $1.3 billion worldwide, has entered the
final stages of negotiations with Chinese factories in Beijing,
Shanghai and Xi'an for its proposed joint ventures.  Since the American
company first came to China 10 years ago, its business in China has
focused on technology transfer and direct sales, which witnessed
40-per-cent growth last year.
 
"Now we have also started to consider setting up joint ventures here
as the country's investment climate has improved a lot," said he, who
flew from his headquarters in Singapore to Beijing last week to hold a
Fisher-Rosemount seminar for Sinopec.  "China will likely become our
company's largest co-operative partner in the Asian and Pacific areas
in the next two to three years," he noted.

The American company has a target of ensuring a profit growth rate of
at least 25 per cent in the Asia-Pacific region this year. Apart from
Chinese mainland, the company's partners in the region are located in
Japan, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, South Korea and Taiwan.

Fisher-Rosemount is the world's major supplier of products like
temperature and flow measuring devices, liquid and gas analyzers and
digital control systems for petrochemical, environmental protection,
oil and gas refining, paper-making, food-producing a nd metallurgical
industries.  China's petrochemical industry alone has already become
the company's largest single customer, he added. The American company
is also launching a long-term training programme to improve
understanding between itself and its Chinese customers, Soule said.  He
was not satisfied with his company's record of holding 100 seminars in
China to promote sales last year, as he noted Fisher-Rosemount should
have even more seminars in China over the next few years.

He believed this was an effective way to do business in China, because
by holding seminars his company can find out what kind of products its
Chinese customers need.  "We have a lot of rivals from the United
States and Japan as well as Chinese-based factories competing with us,
especially in the petrochemical sector, for the Chinese market," Soule
said.  But Fisher-Rosement is already leading the battle to win the
trust of Chinese industries with its most powerful "weapon" --
top-quality technology, he added.  The company has already made an
initial investment of some $15 million and established two joint
ventures in Shanghai and Tianjin to manufacture industrial control
devices for both the Chinese and the world markets. END

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
D: Telephone Number Upgrades in Nine Chinese Cities/Counties ............ 40
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: People's Daily Overseas Edition
Compiled and Translated by: Chengyan Liu (Relaid from US-CND)

Begin on 00:00 (Beijing time), December 12th, 1993, the telephone number
in Tianjin, Chengdu, Changsha, Jinan, Qingtao, Taiyuan, Xian, Fushan and
Nanhai have been adjusted from six digits to seven digits.

     City/County         Before Adjustment          After Adjustment
       Tianjin               xx xxxx                    x3x xxxx
  Ji  Xian (Tianjin)         91 xxxx                    914 xxxx
  Bao   Di (Tianjin)         92 xxxx                    924 xxxx
  Wu  Qing (Tianjin)         93 xxxx                    934 xxxx
  Jing Hai (Tianjin)         94 xxxx                    894 xxxx
  Ning  He (Tianjin)         95 xxxx                    559 xxxx
  Han   Gu (Tianjin)         96 xxxx                    569 xxxx
  Tang  Gu (Tianjin)         97 xxxx                    579 xxxx
  Tang  Gu (Tianjin)         98 xxxx                    589 xxxx
  Da  Gang (Tianjin)         99 xxxx                    599 xxxx
       Chengdu               ax xxxx                    aax xxxx
      Changsha               bx xxxx                    bbx xxxx
 Wang Cheng (Changsha)       81 xxxx                    881 xxxx
 Wang Cheng (Changsha)       86 xxxx                    886 xxxx
   Changsha County           65 xxxx                    665 xxxx
   Changsha County           66 xxxx                    666 xxxx
   Changsha County           67 xxxx                    667 xxxx
   Changsha County           68 xxxx                    668 xxxx
   Changsha County           69 xxxx                    669 xxxx
   Changsha County           39 xxxx                    639 xxxx
 Ning Xiang (Changsha)       88 xxxx                    788 xxxx
 Ning Xiang (Changsha)       89 xxxx                    789 xxxx
 Ning Xiang (Changsha)       80 xxxx                    780 xxxx
 Liu   Yang (Changsha)       60 xxxx                    360 xxxx
 Liu   Yang (Changsha)       61 xxxx                    361 xxxx
 Liu   Yang (Changsha)       62 xxxx                    362 xxxx
 Liu   Yang (Changsha)       63 xxxx                    363 xxxx
 Liu   Yang (Changsha)       64 xxxx                    364 xxxx
        Jinan                xx xxxx                    x9x xxxx
       Qingtao               98 xxxx                    298 xxxx
       Qingtao               cc xxxx (bb not be 98)     c8c xxxx
       Taiyuan               xx xxxx                    x0x xxxx
        Xian                 xx xxxx                    x2x xxxx
       Fushan                dx xxxx                    ddx xxxx
  Nanhai (Guangdong)         xe xxxx                    xee xxxx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
*--------------------------------------------------------------------*
*       Please send your subscription/unsubscription request to:     *
*                                                                    * 
*                        [email-masked]                          *
*                                                                    *
*       In your request, please leave the SUBJECT line blank.        *
*       In the 1st line of the message body enter the following      *
*       commands as appropriate:                                     *
*                                                                    *
*                  SUB CHINA-LINK FIRSTNAME LASTNAME                 *
*                  UNSUB CHINA-LINK                                  *
*                                                                    * 
*       Back issues of CIEN are achieved at IFCSS.ORG in the         *
*       directory org/cnlink.                                        * 
*             Using anonymous FTP or Gopher ifcss.org                *
*                                                                    * 
*       For other information regarding the club, advertisment,      * 
*       news contribution and trade, please send your e-mail to:     *
*                                                                    *
*                       [email-masked]                         *
*                                                                    *        
*       And define your SUBJECT line as follows:                     *
*         TO CONTRIBUTE/ADVERTISE:               AD or NEWS          *
*         TO RESPOND TO TRADE LEADS:             TRADE               *
*         TO JOIN THE CHINA-LINK CLUB:           CLUB                * 
*                                                                    *
*      !! Please also include your name, mailing address,  !!        *
*      !! phone number, fax number & contact person(s)     !!        * 
*      !! in the message body for the CLUB subject.        !!        *
*                                                                    *
*--------------------------------------------------------------------*