Subject: CHINA IMP/EXP NEWS (cn940103)

From: [email-masked] (wangc)
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 94 09:43:17 CST

**********************************************************************
 #                                                                    # 
 #       C H I N A     I M P O R T / E X P O R T     N E W S          #
 #       ---------     -------------------------     -------          # 
 #                                                                    #
 #           A WEEKLY NEWSLETTER FROM THE CHINA-LINK CLUB             #
 #                                                                    #
 #                      E-mail: [email-masked]                  #
 #                                                                    #
 **********************************************************************

                      January 03, 1994 (CN940103)

CONTENTS                                                           LINES
========================================================================
A) Goods wanted (5 items)............................................66
B) Goods for Sale (4 items)..........................................60 
C) China market watch (7 items).....................................285
========================================================================

   &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
   &  NOTES: Contact information for goods wanted or for sale is   &
   &         available on the Fax-On Demand system. The document   & 
   &         number for this issue is 1.                           & 
   &                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                           &
   &         The fax number for retrieving info by fax is:         &
   &                       (317) 743-5299                          &
   &                                                               &
   &         A help file on how to use the Fax-on-demand system    &
   &         is archived at IFCSS.ORG under the directory          &
   &                        org/cnlink                             &
   &         and can be obtained through anonymous ftp.            &
   &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

---------------------------------------------------------------------
A: Goods Wanted (5 items)..................................66 lines
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1) (#B9401031)   "QUSHI GUILING CHA" 

     (against itching on the skin), 
   product of Wuzhou Drug Manufactory, Guangxi,

*************************************************************

2) (#B9401032)        2 CYANOPYRAZINE

A. Detailed product description:  liquefied 2-
   cyanopyrazine up to usp 21/22 and packed in barrel
B. Product specifications/technical data:  it is
   solidified at 15 degree centigrade
C. Quantity:  2,600 million tons
D. U.S. Dollar value:  open
E. Purchase needed by:  ASAP

************************************************************

3) (#B9401033)          841330  PUMPS/MOTORS

A. Detailed product description:  pumps/motors
B. Product specifications/technical data:
   1. Fixed displacement pump (axial piston bent
      axis)/motor:
   nominal pressure  size(displacement ml/r)  qua.
   35 MPA            10-50                   1000
   2. Variable displacement pump (axial piston bent
      axis)/motor:
   Nominal pressure  size(displacement ml/r)  qua.
       35 MPA         20-500                 1000
C. Quantity:  800 pumps
D. U.S. Dollar value:  open
E. Purchase needed by:  ASAP

*********************************************************

4) (#B9401034)          4009  HIGH PRESSURE HOSES

A. Detailed product description:  high pressure hoses
B. Product specifications/technical data:
   DIAMETER   MAX PRESSURE   QUA.
   6-50MM     350 BAR       LOOOOM
C. Quantity:  30 thousand
D. U.S. Dollar value:  open
E. Purchase needed by:  ASAP

*********************************************************

5) (#B9401035)          848210  BALL BEARINGS

A. Detailed product description:  ball bearings of the
   following models and quantities respectively:
   NUP316E, 10 SETS; 21316E, 10 SETS; JLM104948, 10 SETS;
   B546DD FS464, 300 SETS; SCHNEBERGER, 4 SETS;
   206KPPAH06, 4 SETS; 7203, 4 SETS; 7203D, 4 SETS; 6203,
   4 SETS.
B. Product specifications: some of the models may not
   be american standard.  but the customer said that any
   products will do if only they are identical in
   functions and performances to the one he specified.
C. Quantity: nup316e, 10 sets; 21316e, 10 sets;
   jlm104948, 10 sets; b546dd fs464, 300 sets;
   schneberger, 4 sets; 206kppah06, 4 sets; 7203, 4 sets;
   7203d, 4 sets; 6203, 4 sets
D. U.S. Dollar value: none
E. Purchase needed by:  as soon as possible

-----------------------------------------------------------
B:GOODS FOR SALE ...................................60 lines
-----------------------------------------------------------

1) (#S9401031)
ENVIRONMENT PRODUCTS AVAILABLE FOR GLOBAL DISTRIBUTION

Principal product eliminates odors from all types of organic
wastes, such as in hog and cattle farms, poultry farms, fish
hatcheries, horse farms, stockyards, dairy farms, garbage
dumps, landfills, septic systems, etc.

Products are applied by mixing with water and spraying onto
surfaces to be treated.  One ounce of product can completely
remove odor from an area as large as 300 square meters.

Product is shipped in dry, powder form and can be safely
stored for very long periods of time.  Supplier will private
label product for serious distributors.

******************************************************************

2) (#S9401032)     PICKUPS, STATION WAGONS, VANS, SEDANS, BLAZERS,

jeeps,   suburbans, dump trucks, heavy trucks, buses, boats, barges,
crane, ambulance, medical equipment, office furniture and machines, ADP
equipment, mobile radios, scrap metal, titanium, tools, ammunition
cartridges, graders, tractors, horse trailer and trailers,  electronic
equipment, telephone equipment, and many other  miscellaneous items.
SEALED BID SALE NUMBER 94-13. Sale will be  held at the GSA Bid Opening
Room, 819 Taylor Street, Room 11AO9,    Fort Worth, Texas, beginning at
11:00 a.m., on January 19, 1994.  Inspection is January 10-14, 1994,
from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

*******************************************************************

    3) (#S9401033)   HAZARDOUS SALE Includes: Lead acid batteries,
   battery set, cadmium plating brightener, cleaning compound (high
pressure, optical lens and solvent), lapping and grinding compound,
detergent, plastic drums, furniture polish, lubricant,  cutting-lapping
and gear oil, paint, photographic chemical, power supply, scrap
(electrical and electronic), liquid oxygen storage  tank and
transformer. Type Sale: Sealed Bid. IFB No. 31-4056.  Inspection
Beginning: 30 Dec 93. Bid Opening: 14 Jan 94. Property Locations: AL,
CA, FL, GA, KS, MT, MO, OH, AND TN. (361)

*******************************************************************

  4) (#S9401034)   ELECTRICAL, ELECTRONIC, AND AIRCRAFT PARTS SALE:
 Includes: aircraft ground and shop equipment, main rotor blade,
 convertors and communication equipment, drag load member,
 engines/turbine accessories and components, tunable band pass filter,
 commercial generator, harness assembly, hydraulic tripod wheeled jack,
 aircraft fuel tank kit filler, weapons loader, frequency synthesizer,
 teletypewriter sets, water purification unit. Note: Bids for this
 sale, IFB 31-4330 must be received in our office no later than 17 Jan
 94, 3:00 P.M. CDST/CST. Type Sale: Sealed Bid.  IFB No. 31-4330.
 Inspection Beginning: 4 Jan 94. Bid Opening: 18 Jan 94 (See Above
 Note). Property Locations: HI, CA, CO, LA, ND, NE, NM, OK, TX, UT, WA.
 (362)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
C: CHINA MARKET WATCH....................................285 lines   
--------------------------------------------------------------------

 1)  EXCHANGE SYSTEM TO BE UNIFIED NEXT YEAR (30-DEC-1993) by our staff
reporter The Chinese Government will unify its current dual-track
foreign exchange system starting on January 1, 1994, a spokesman for
the People's Bank of China -- the Chinese central bank -- announced
yesterday.

A single and controlled floating exchange-rate system, based on market
supply and demand, will be introduced beginning in the new year, said
Zhou Zhengqing, Vice-Governor of the People's Bank of China.

The central bank will publish the renminbi exchange rate against the US
dollar every day set with reference to the trading price of the
previous day on the "inter-bank foreign exchange swap market" to be
established next year.

It will also publish the renminbi yuan's rate against other major
foreign currencies according to the current rates on the world
financial market.

Zhou said that the central bank will try to balance the demand and
supply of hard currencies and stabilize the renminbi exchange rate
mainly through economic means such as monetary policies and interest
rates.

The present foreign exchange regulations will remain unchanged for
foreign-funded firms and domestic individuals after the unification of
the exchange rate, he added.

In order to satisfy the requirements for China's re-entry into the
General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (Gatt), China decided earlier
this year to unify -- within five years -- its dual exchange rate
system -- an official rate set by the State Administ ration of Exchange
Control and another market-driven rate quoted in the swap markets.

Analysts believe that the unification of the dual-rate foreign-exchange
system is an important step toward a freely-convertible renminbi.

Zhou said foreign currencies will no longer be allowed to circulate on
the Chinese mainland next year.

Meanwhile, the country will no longer issue foreign exchange
certificates (FEC), starting next year. Existing FECs can be used for
the time being until they are withdrawn by banks.

China introduced FECs in 1980 as a convertible version of the renminbi,
but has long considered abolishing the notes because of the
difficulties presented by a dual-currency system.

The spokesman said the previous practice of allowing some units to
retain a part of their foreign-currency earnings will also be cancelled
next year.

Instead, all domestic enterprises and institutions will be required to
sell their foreign-currency earnings to state-designated banks at the
rate published by the central bank.

But domestic enterprises and institutions may buy foreign exchange from
the banks by showing contracts for legitimate import items and invoices
for payment denominated in foreign currency.

The bank official said the country will establish a unified inter-bank
foreign-exchange market.

The designated banks, which will be connected through a computer
network, will be the market's main participants.

The central bank will supervise the market through the State
Administration of Exchange Control.

The merger of the dual exchange rate system into a single floating rate
system is a breakthrough in the reform of China's foreign-trade system,
Wu Yi, minister of Foreign Trade and Economic Co-operation, said
yesterday. END

  2)  US DOLLAR SWAP MARKET:  (30-DEC-1993); 
The US dollar remained unchanged yesterday at the Beijing-based
National Foreign Exchange Swap Centre.

Yesterday's opening, closing and weighted average prices were all 8.708
yuan.

Beijing Forex Swap Centre opens for trading every Monday, Wednesday and
Friday mornings. (CD News) END

   3)  CENTRAL BANK SAYS FEC CAN STILL BE USED (03-JAN-1994)
China will continue to accept foreign exchange certificates (FEC) for
the time being, even though the government has decided to stop issuing
them, according to a circular issued by the People's Bank of China, the
nation's central bank.

The circular said that FEC can still be used in shops which charge FEC,
without time limit, and that all regulations concerning FEC remain
unchanged.

The circular said that no price rise for goods priced in FEC is legal
without permission from relevant departments in charge of commodity
prices.

According to the circular, holders of FEC can also change them into US
dollars at the previous exchange rate of 5.8 yuan FEC for $1.

In a related development, a spokesman of the People's Bank of China
told reporters in Beijing on Friday that those shops, hotels and
restaurants which have been charging FEC can continue to do so as
before. He said they can also exchange their FEC cash o r deposits into
US dollars at the previous official rate of 5.8 yuan RMB for $1 at the
banks, as before.

The Chinese Government decided to unify its dual-track foreign exchange
system starting from New Year's Day this year. The old system will be
replaced with a new "unitary and controlled floating exchange rate
system," the People's Bank of China said at t he end of last year.

Existing FECs will gradually be withdrawn from circulation by banks,
the central bank said in a statement.       (Xinhua) END

  4)  ECONOMY TO SEE MILD SLOWDOWN NEXT YEAR (29-DEC-1993) by our 
staff reporter Wu Yunhe

The State Statistics Bureau yesterday announced that China will
register a 13 per cent growth in gross domestic product (GDP) this
year.

And bureau spokesman Ye Zhen said next year's GDP is expected to grow
10 per cent.

Speaking at a news conference, Ye said China's per capita GDP is
expected to reach 2,500 yuan ($431) this year, a record high.

Bureau economists said that a mild slowdown in economic growth is
expected as the government takes steps to tame inflation that threatens
to derail China's ambitious reform plans in the coming year.

To ease public fears, Ye said the government gradually tightened the
money supply this year to check price surges.

During the second half of this year, the gross money supply was 21
billion yuan ($3.62 billion), falling 31.8 billion yuan ($5.5 billion)
from the first six months of the year, according to official figures.

Analysts pointed out that trying to balance price controls with
economic reforms is a very complex task that requires the full
co-operation of the government and consumers.

City residents have recently been stocking up on rice, cooking oil and
other staples out of fear that prices will rise next year when new tax
reforms and further price deregulation take affect.

Ye said that inflation this year will hit 14.5 per cent. And the figure
will be 19.5 per cent in the 35 largest cities, he said.

After a drop in the inflation rate in September, it rose to more than
20 per cent in December, he said.

The cost of living in Nanning, Guangzhou, Qingdao and Shanghai grew the
fastest of any city in the country this year. China is aiming to bring
inflation down to single digits in the coming years, or a maximum of 15
per cent in cities, sources said.

The government will also take measures to make State enterprises more
competitive.  Ye said that according to statistics, 37.3 per cent of
the State firms were in the red as of November.

>From January to November this year, State-owned enterprises lost 29.2
billion yuan ($5 billion) -- a 20.1 per cent increase over the same
period last year.

Ye said macro-economic measures introduced this year helped cool down
over-heated industrial performance.

The country's industrial production grew by 25.1 per cent during the
first six months of this year over the same period last year.

However, growth of industrial production only reached 18.9 per cent
between November last year and last month, Ye said. END

  5)  DEMAND FOR STEEL, AUTOS EXPECTED TO RISE IN 1994
(27-DEC-1993);  by our staff reporter Hong Xia

Demand should increase next year for steel, cars and timber without
major price increases, according to government analysts at the '93
Industries News Release meeting in Beijing over the weekend.

Steel production is expected to rise 10 per cent next year. Increased
demand will be met through domestic production and imports.

However, the analysts noted it will be more difficult to import steel
next year, so there may be supply shortages during the second half of
1994.

They said more steel would be needed in manufacturing than might be
available, but steel construction supplies should be sufficient for at
least the first half of next year.

Steel prices should remain constant during the first half of next year.
However, increased demand and limited supplies may cause prices to
gradually increase during the second half of 1994.Prices soared during
the first half of this year when steel production could not meet
increasing demand.

But steel prices dropped during the second half as the government
tightened credit to slow industrial growth and booming construction.

The analysts noted China will need more cars next year in the wake of
its vigorous economic growth. Large-tonnage trucks will also be in
demand as more key national projects start construction.

Demand for heavy- and medium-sized vehicles for highway transport will
be stimulated because of limited freight availability on the
overburdened railway system.

Mini-vans are still in high demand in cities other than Beijing. Sales
of cars will largely depend on the government's policies controlling
their purchase.

The potential demand for first-time ownership and replacement vehicles
is high.  At present, 7 million cars are owned by individuals and work
units.

Autos sold well during the first half of 1993, but sales were sluggish
during the second half.

Analysts said lumber would be in short supply next year due to high
demand.  Timber prices would possibly rise. This follows a period of
oversupply and declining prices during the second half of 1993. END

  6)  GOVERNMENT BANS WASTE IMPORTATION (09-DEC-1993)

China plans to take action against companies that profit by importing
and processing harmful waste from other countries.

A spokesman for the National Environmental Protection Agency (NEPA) was
quoted by the Beijing-based Legal Daily as saying that NEPA has never
allowed companies to import harmful waste.

It is against State regulations to purchase and process foreign
refuse.He said some companies and factories in the southeastern coastal
areas have been making a profit from such foreign waste. The imported
waste has caused severe pollution to the environment.

The spokesman said all factories and companies must register imported
goods at their local environmental protection departments where
rigorous inspections are carried out.

There should be no processing of imported waste without permission from
the local government. Violators will be prosecuted and face fines.

China Youth Daily reported recently that there are more than 100
factories that handle foreign industrial waste in South China's
Guangdong Province.

Most of the business is believed to be brought in by companies from
Taiwan that are moving to the mainland.

A Shenzhen-based copper factory, which co-operated with five Taiwan
partners, imports four tons of industrial waste annually. The waste
includes license plates, automobile batteries, engines and copper wire.
Most of the refuse are believed to have come f rom the United States.

Some of the waste is radioactive and may pollute underground water
resources, experts believe.

The NEPA spokesman pointed out that trans-national transfer of harmful
waste has become one of the major environmental problems worldwide. In
March 1991, NEPA and the General Administration of Customs prohibited
the import of industrial waste harmful to the environment.

The regulations have been enforced in many parts of the country and
have played a big role in preserving the environment.

As one example, Southeast China's Fujian Province has rejected attempts
to import overseas rubbish into the province, China Environmental News
reported.

A Japanese investment company offered to help the province develop the
Culudao Industrial Zone in Lianjiang County, but they wanted to export
to Fujian a total of 40 million tons of dry cement and mixed stone and
mud in the next 10 years.

The provincial environmental protection department rejected the
proposal, fearing that some harmful and poisonous waste might be
brought into the province.   (CD News) END

 7) China Lifted import controls on 283 goods (03-JAN-1994);

Import grip eased CHINA lifted controls on 283 types of imported goods
on January 1. Import licenses and quotas were abolished for natural
medicinal materials, polycarbonate, waste steel, billet, black and
white kinescopes.  Import licenses were wiped out for coffee produc ts,
cobalt and cobalt products and aircraft for civil use. Import licenses
and controls were abolished on equipment for assembling and processing.
Import quotas were indefinitely suspended for fruits. Import controls
were removed from decoration and cons truction materials and some
machinery and electronic products.

=======================================================================

*--------------------------------------------------------------------*
*       Please send your subscription/unsubscription request to:     *
*                                                                    * 
*                        [email-masked]                          *
*                                                                    *
*       In your request, please leave the SUBJECT line blank.        *
*       In the 1st line of the message body enter the following      *
*       commands as appropriate:                                     *
*                                                                    *
*                  SUB CHINA-LINK FIRSTNAME LASTNAME                 *
*                  UNSUB CHINA-LINK                                  *
*                                                                    * 
*       Back issues of CIEN are achieved at IFCSS.ORG in the         *
*       directory org/cnlink.                                        * 
*             Using anonymous FTP or Gopher ifcss.org                *
*                                                                    * 
*       For other information regarding the club, advertisment,      * 
*       news contribution and trade, please send your e-mail to:     *
*                                                                    *
*                       [email-masked]                         *
*                                                                    *        
*       And define your SUBJECT line as follows:                     *
*         TO CONTRIBUTE/ADVERTISE:               AD or NEWS          *
*         TO RESPOND TO TRADE LEADS:             TRADE               *
*         TO JOIN THE CHINA-LINK CLUB:           CLUB                * 
*                                                                    *
*      !! Please also include your name, mailing address,  !!        *
*      !! phone number, fax number & contact person(s)     !!        * 
*      !! in the message body for the CLUB subject.        !!        *
*                                                                    *
*--------------------------------------------------------------------*