Subject: CHINA IMP/EXP NEWS (CN940131)

From: [email-masked] (wangc)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 00:40:15 CST

**********************************************************************
 #                                                                    # 
 #       C H I N A     I M P O R T / E X P O R T     N E W S          #
 #       ---------     -------------------------     -------          # 
 #                                                                    #
 #           A WEEKLY NEWSLETTER FROM THE CHINA-LINK CLUB             #
 #                                                                    #
 #                      E-mail: [email-masked]                  #
 #                                                                    #
 **********************************************************************

                      January 31, 1994 (CN940131)

CONTENTS                                                           LINES
========================================================================
A) Goods Wanted (5 items)...........................................101
B) Goods For Sale (1 items)..........................................42
C) Swap Rate.........................................................19
D) China Market Watch (5 items).....................................210
========================================================================

   &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    NOTES: Contact information for goods wanted or for sale is   
           available on the AUTO-REPLY E-MAIL SYSTEM.             
           Please send an e-mail to:                              
 
                        [email-masked]
 
                   With SUBJECT: CONTACTS 

    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A: Goods Wanted (5 items)......................................101 lines
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) PORTLAND 450 CEMENT (#B9401311)

Portland 450 Cement.
Quantity: 2.5 Million MT over a six month period or one million MT
monthly.  Please quote your best price for C&F Netherlands major city
ports.

2) SECOND-HAND FISHING VESSELS (#B9401312)

Second-hand fishing vessels wanted: *buy or rent* With purse seine
system for sardine & tuna fish, with good tempereture-control system.
Must in very good condition.

Second-hand equipment for easy-open-can *for packed fish* production
wanted Neither has specification; further information will be send to
interested people.

3) OLD SHIP TO BE WRECKED (#B9401313)

	old ship to be wrecked, 10,000+ ton

5) STEEL (#B9401315)

Angle Steel Wanted:
Modi Tech. Trading. Fax: 1-819-776-2026

-Quantity: a) L45x45x3 L45x45x4 L50x50x4 L60x60x4 L75x75x5
              L180x180x12 L200x200x16
              1,000 MT each.
           b) L110x110x8 L130x130x8 L130x130x10 L150x150x10 L200x200x14
              500 MT each.

-Ideal Length: 8M

-Structure:                     High Tensile           Mild Steel

-Ultimate tensile strength      5200/8000 Kg/CM2       4000/5600 kg/cm2
of the Steel used:

-Mininium guaranteed yield      3500kg/cm2             2600kg/cm2
strength of the steel used:

-Mininium Elongation in
200 mm guage length:
a) Up to 8mm thickness           15%                   16%
b) Over 8mm thickness            18%                   20%

-Chemical Composition:
a) Carbon                        0.12-0.20%            0.24-0.26%
b) Manganese                     1.20-1.35%            0.85-1.60%
c) Phosphorus Max.               0.04%                 0.04%
d) Sulphur Max.                  0.05%                 0.05%
e) All tolerance as per standards.

-Name of the process             Hot rolled            Hot rolled

-Standard of steel
 Equal or better than:           ASTM A527 GR50        ASTM A36
                                 or DIN(ST52)          or DIN(ST37)

-Purchase needed as soon as possible. Please quota us CIF orC&F main port
 of P.R.China before Feb 8, 1994 .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
B: Goods For Sale ................................................42 lines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) RESONATOR (#S9401311)

I have got the following resonators available, if you are interested,
please email me for more information.

Sorted resonators for sale:

Contour   NomFreq(mhz)   Raco ancne Rea(om)   LoadCap(pf)   TempFreqTol(ppm)
HC-49/C   3.579545       70                   18            +/- 30
HC-49/C   3.600000       70                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   4.000000       70                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   4.195200       70                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   4.433619       65                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   5.000000       60                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   5.185000       60                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   5.714300       60                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   6.000000       50                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   6.144000       50                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   6.400000       50                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   6.553600       50                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   8.000000       30                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   10.000000      30                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   10.245000      30                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   12.000000      30                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   13.516800      25                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   14.000000      25                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   14.318100      25                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   16.000000      25                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   24.000000      50                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   27.125000      40                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   27.145000      40                   30            +/- 30
HC-49/C   49.860000      35                   30            +/- 30
BT        21.477270      30                   30            +/- 30
BT        21.492336      30                   30            +/- 30
BT        26.601712      30                   30            +/- 30
UM-1      16~60                                             +/- 10

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(C) Swap Rates ......................................................19 lines
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

29-JAN-1994; 29-JAN-1994

THE US dollar closed at a national high of 8.71 yuan yesterday in
Guangzhou, Hubei and Hainan.

It registered its lowest -- 8.69 -- in Dalian and Hebei.

It closed at 8.708 in Beijing, 8.703 in Shenzhen and Zhejiang, 8.7 in
Fujian and

Tianjin, 8.699 in Qingdao and 8.696 in Shanghai.

The HK$ closed at 1.128 yuan in Guangzhou and 1.127 in Shenzhen. (CD -
Zhonghui)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(D) China Market Watch ..............................................210 lines
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(1) LEGEND PLANS TO RAISE $29M VIA SHARE ISSUE ......................48 lines
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
26-JAN-1994; 26-JAN-1994

Legend Holdings, a major Hong Kong computer distributor and
manufacturer, has said it plans to list its shares on the city's stock
exchange next month.

Company chairman Liu Chuanzhi said Legend aims to raise HK$224 million ($29
million) by issuing 168.75 million shares.

Trading is due to begin on February 14 with a par value per share of
HK$0.1 and a subscription price of HK$1.33.  Net proceeds of the issue 
are expected to be about HK$217.39 million ($28 million).

The cash will be used to develop and market new products and as additional
working capital for the corporation.

Legend Holdings was set up in Hong Kong in 1988 as a joint venture
between Beijing Legend Holdings, Daw Computer Systems and China
Technology Trade (Hong Kong) Limited.

The group made a profit of HK$26.5 million ($3.4 million) on a turnover
of HK$1.81 billion ($232 million) in the financial year ending on March
31, 1993.

Legend has established three design centres in Hong Kong, Shenzhen and
San Jose, California.  It has a monthly manufacturing capacity of 140,000 
keyboards.  And it distributes personal computers in China through 
22 distributors, and add-on products for other brands through more than
140 distributors.

Legend also develops, makes and supplies motherboards and add-on cards
to the mainland, Hong Kong and overseas markets.

Prospects for Legend's mainland business are also good as the Chinese
Government is encouraging domestic enterprises to use computers to beef
up business and make it more efficient.

Beijing Legend Holdings was one of the largest computer manufacturers
to produce more than 10,000 personal computers last year. (CD News) END

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(2) GOOD YEAR AHEAD FOR ELECTRONICS .................................29 lines
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
24-JAN-1994; 24-JAN-1994

SOME 100 experts, business people and government officials gathered at
a seminar over the weekend in Beijing to exchange views on the market for
electronic products in 1994.

The participants forecasted another year of rapid growth in the electronics
industry after reviewing the dramatic progress in 1993.

The total output of China's electronic industry jumped by 26.4 per cent last
year over 1992 to 139.8 billion yuan ($16 billion), while the sales volume
reached 113.27 billion yuan ($13 billion), an increase of 37.64 per cent over
1992.

The seminar was jointly sponsored by the China Chinese Data Academy and
Beijing Zhongguancun Electronic Mall, China's largest professional
electronic market, which will open in March.

The participants also discussed policies for development of the electronic
industry and market, further improvement in co-operation among domestic and
foreign firms and the impact of China's forthcoming re-entry into the General
Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (Gatt).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(3) LI, BENTSEN SEEK CLOSER SINO-US ECONOMIC AND TRADE TIES .........56 lines
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

20-JAN-1994; 20-JAN-1994 by Zong He

PREMIER Li Peng told US Treasury Secretary Lloyd Bentsen yesterday
that better economic and trade relations are possible if both sides
admit their differences and seek common ground.

Bentsen arrived in Beijing yesterday from Bankok, Thailand.

Li said Bentsen's visit pushes Sino-US relations to a higher tier, a point
echoed by the US treasury secretary.

Bentsen said his visit to China reflects the US's willingness to
establish better relations between the two nations, which have publicly
feuded in recent weeks over such issues as textile export quotas and
alleged human rights abuses.

Bentsen told Li that China's development is beneficial to all. "A
strong, prosperous China is in the interest of the United States as
well as the world," Bentsen said.

Li, meeting Bentsen yesterday afternoon in the Zhongnanhai compound,
headquarters of the Chinese central government, said "some existing
differences between the two countries could be solved through dialouge
and consultation."

Li pointed to the summit between Presidents Jiang Zemin and Clinton in
Seattle late last year as an example of normalizing relations between
China and the US.

China is a "potential market" and "has great interest in many advanced
US technologies and equipment", Li said. "The two countries are
complimentary in many economic and trade aspects."

The two countries have "widespread common benefits," Li continued, and
should maintain good relations and increase co-operations in all
fields.

As to ideological and conceptual differences between the two countries,
Li recommended the two governments "admit the differences", "try to
seek common ground", and "respect each other".

"The differences should not affect development of Sino-US relations,"
Li said.

Also, he promised that China is willing to contribute to world peace
and development.  Bentsen said that the United States and China have
many areas to co-operate.

"The Clinton administration believes the United States should join the
economic development process of Asia, and China, especially," Bentsen
said.Bentsen is scheduled to spend a total of four days in Beijing and
Shanghai. He is expected to meet President Jiang Zemin and Vice Premier 
Zhu Rongji today. END

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
(4) CRAP EXPORTS DROP SHARPLY; NOV. SHIPPING BACKS OFF SURGING US
FERROUS PRICE .................................................. 14 lines
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Marley, Michael American Metal Market  v102 n15 p1(2) Jan 24, 1994

 ABSTRACT:  The  Dept of Commerce reported that the volume of ferrous
 scrap exports  decreased  by  40%  in  Nov  1993, prompted by rising
 domestic prices.  Industry  sources  attribute the sharp decline to
 decisions by important  foreign  buyers to bypass the higher US
 ferrous scrap market prices  in  Sep-Oct  1993. Increased consumption
 by domestic sources is also  cited for the drop in exports. Ferrous
 scrap exports increased in Nov  1993, only to Mexico and decreased in
 shipments to Japan and China during the period.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
(5) US Silk Quota Will Help China, Hurt Consumers, Retailers Say ... 60
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

JOURNAL OF COMMERCE (JC) - January 28, 1994

By: ROBIN BULMAN Journal of Commerce Staff

Are  U.S. consumers buying cheap Chinese silk garments instead of cotton at
the expense of U.S. textile workers?

     The  United  States says they are, and that's why the Chinese were hit
with  a  quota  on  silk  apparel  imports  in the new U.S.-China bilateral
textile agreement.

     But  importers  and retailers say silk is silk and cotton is cotton as
far  as  U.S. consumers are concerned. Rather than create and preserve U.S.
jobs, the new quotas will simply make silk unaffordable, they say.

     "This  is a gratuitous quota," said Laura Jones, executive director of
the U.S. Association of Importers of Textiles and Apparel. "You'll probably
see  washable silk, which sells to low-income consumers, disappear from the
U.S. market. So who is benefiting?"

     Some  suggest  that  U.S. quotas on silk apparel imports will actually
benefit China.

     For  several years China, which accounts for 90 percent of the world's
silk  production,  has been fretting about a decline in silk garment prices
in overseas markets and chaotic competition among its own silk producers.
     
     The  last  thing China wants is a repeat of the so-called cocoon wars,
which  erupted  in  the  late  1980s  after the Chinese government loosened
controls  on  its silk industry at the same time that silk prices soared on
increased global demand.

     Seeking to take advantage of rising world silk prices, upstart Chinese
silk  producers  undercut established producers, sending silk prices into a
tailspin.  Chinese  factories then flooded the world market with low-priced
silk  garments  that  were  a  boom for consumers but troubling for Chinese
economic planners.

     By  imposing  quotas  on  Chinese  silk  garments, some argue that the
United States is firming up prices and locking in China's share of the U.S.
silk garment market.

     "If  what  the USTR (U.S. Trade Representative) wanted to do is reward
the  Chinese,  they  did  it at the expense of the American consumer," said
Doral  Cooper,  a  former  U.S.  trade negotiator. Ms. Cooper now heads C&M
International Ltd., a trade consulting firm in Washington, D.C.

     The  new  bilateral  agreement  calls  for  1 percent annual growth in
China's silk exports to the United States.

     China  shipped  a  record  $2.6 billion in silk garments to the United
States  last  year,  up  from  $900  million  in 1991, according to figures
announced by U.S. Trade Representative Mickey Kantor.

     However, the Trade Data Division of the Office of Textiles and Apparel
reports  that  China's silk apparel exports to the United States stood $952
million in 1992 compared with $665 million in 1990.
Booming Southeast Asia Expected To Fuel Demand for Copper Products

=======================================================================

*--------------------------------------------------------------------*
*       Please send your subscription/unsubscription request to:     *
*                                                                    * 
*                        [email-masked]                          *
*                                                                    *
*       In your request, please leave the SUBJECT line blank.        *
*       In the 1st line of the message body enter the following      *
*       commands as appropriate:                                     *
*                                                                    *
*                  SUB CHINA-LINK FIRSTNAME LASTNAME                 *
*                  UNSUB CHINA-LINK                                  *
*                                                                    * 
*       Back issues of CIEN are achieved at IFCSS.ORG in the         *
*       directory org/cnlink.                                        * 
*             Using anonymous FTP or Gopher ifcss.org                *
*                                                                    * 
*       For other information regarding the club, advertisment,      * 
*       news contribution and trade, please send your e-mail to:     *
*                                                                    *
*                       [email-masked]                         *
*                                                                    *        
*       And define your SUBJECT line as follows:                     *
*         TO CONTRIBUTE/ADVERTISE:               AD or NEWS          *
*         TO RESPOND TO TRADE LEADS:             TRADE               *
*         TO JOIN THE CHINA-LINK CLUB:           CLUB                * 
*                                                                    *
*      !! Please also include your name, mailing address,  !!        *
*      !! phone number, fax number & contact person(s)     !!        * 
*      !! in the message body for the CLUB subject.        !!        *
*                                                                    *
*--------------------------------------------------------------------*