Subject: CHINA IMP/EXP NEWS (CN940207)

From: [email-masked] (wangc)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 94 00:26:46 CST

**********************************************************************
 #                                                                    # 
 #       C H I N A     I M P O R T / E X P O R T     N E W S          #
 #       ---------     -------------------------     -------          # 
 #                                                                    #
 #           A WEEKLY NEWSLETTER FROM THE CHINA-LINK CLUB             #
 #                                                                    #
 #                   E-mail: [email-masked]                     #
 #                                                                    #
 **********************************************************************

                     Feburary 7, 1994 (CN940207)

CONTENTS                                                           LINES
========================================================================
A) Goods Wanted (2 items)............................................ 28
B) Goods For Sale (2 items)...........................................60
C) China-Related Business Agents/Service Wanted/Available.............57
D) China Market Watch (6 items)......................................373
========================================================================
  ******    CONTACT INFORMATION CAN BE AUTOMATICALLY RETRIEVED  ******
            FROM [email-masked] WITH SUBJECT:  CONTACTS
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A) Goods Wanted (2 items)...................................... 28 lines
------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  LUBRICATION BASE OIL (#B9402071)    

PRODUCT DATA

A.  Detailed product description: Lubrication base oil 
B.  Product specifications/technical data:
           Size: 150 SN; 250 SN; 650 SN; 75 SN; 80 SN
C.  Quantity: 650 SN: 3000 MT (metric Tons) 
              Others: depend on prices.
D.  U.S. Dollar value: N/A
E.  Purchase needed by: ASAP
F.  Other information: N/A

  ------      ------      ------      ------      ------      ------

2. SECOND-HAND PAPER PRODUCTION MACHINERY AND FACILITIES (#B9402072)

PRODUCT DATA

A.  Detailed product description: Second-hand paper production machinery
    and facilities 
B.  Product specifications/technical data:  N/A
C.  Quantity: One set
D.  U.S. Dollar value: N/A
E.  Purchase needed by: ASAP
F.  Other information: N/A

------------------------------------------------------------------------
B) Goods For Sale (2 items).....................................60 lines
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. New Zealand Fish and Red Rock Lobster (#S9402071)

 Fress-chilled and Frozen New Zealand Fish 
  Specidfications: 
            fillets
            whole fish
            headed and gutted
            (without head and internal organs).

 Red Rock Lobsters (Jasus edwardsii) 
  Specifications:
            frozen
            whole cooked lobster
            live
            tails only.

  Quality:  Fish and lobsters from the cool, clean New Zealand
            oceans up to the export standards set by the Ministry
            of Agriculture and Fisheries of New Zealand

  Quantity: It is not always economical to ship small quantities
            by sea or air, but you can be assured of our best
            attention, and we will try our best to accomodate
            any quantity you may require.  Larger quantities are
            always the most cost effective method of shipping.

  Variety:  We can supply other seafood products, for example:
            shellfish and squid.  Please contact us with your
            requirements, we will be pleased to offer our
            best prices and delivery.

  Payment:  Letter of Credit

  ------      ------      ------      ------      ------      ------

2. 3.5" Floppy Diskettes, Two-sided with High-Density (2 M) (#S9402072)

Product Data: Rank 1 (Excellent) 3.5" floppy diskettes, HD
              Missing Pulse (MB):  >= 65%
	      Extra Pulse (EB):    >= 18%
	      Modulation:          <=  8%
	      Rejection Rate:	   <=  2%

Quantity:     1 million pieces per month

Price:        $0.35 per piece for purchase order up to 1,000 pieces
	      $0.34 per piece for purchase order of 1,000 to 10,000 pieces
	      Discount prices are available for larger purchase orders.

Shipment:     Immediate from our California Warehouse upon check of credit
 
Service:      Full refund if not satisfied with the good

Other:        SEEKING SALES AGENTS TO SELL OUR DISKETTES ON COMMISSION BASIS
	      Commission rate: $0.01 per piece

------------------------------------------------------------------------
C) CHINA-RELATED BUSINESS AGENTS/SERVICES WANTED/AVAILABLE......57 lines
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agents wanted (spare-time/part-time) to help companies in China reduce
their international phone bills. Major US telecommunications company
specialises in a service that can reduce phone costs by as much as 70%
while offering crystal clear state-of-the-art quality lines. Agents 
(who may be located in the US or overseas) are paid excellent monthly 
commissions by the company.

  ------      ------      ------      ------      ------      ------

We are exporters of produce to Japan and Taiwan, and we also exported
matustake mushrooms from Chengdu, Sichuan, China to Japan. We employ a
Chinese person now, and we have been able to get her H-1 visa, but we 
need more help. 

We need people who have strong connections in various parts of China - 
the producing regions for certain products (pea pods, garlic sprouts, 
bamboo shoots, burdock root, hamigua melons, etc.), and also in consum-
ing areas, for example, the southern cities buy apples produced in 
Washington.

  ------      ------      ------      ------      ------      ------

An Exclusive Medical Test Instrument distributor seeks local distributor
of independent sales reps in China to promote medical test intrument sale.
The manufacturer is the world leader and has over 50% of the world market
Defibrilator Analyser, NIBP (NonInvasive Blood Pressure) Analyser, Infusion 
Pump Analyser, and Electrop Surgical Unit Analyser. The instruments can be 
used by medical equipment manufacturers, hospitals, sevice centers, and 
medical schools.

  ------      ------      ------      ------      ------      ------

Princeton Pacific Group, a New Jersey company in USA, is a project,
trade, and finance advisory firm helping companies doing or seeking
business in China. We specialize in infrastructure projects, having
specific experience in private sector "build-operate-transfer" project
financings. Among projects we have worked on are Hopewell Holdings'
Navotas power stations in Manila, the  Guangzhou-Shenzhen Superhighway 
in China, and the Don Muang Elevated Tollway in Bangkok.

Based in Princeton, NJ (home of Princeton University) and with
representatives in eight Asian cities (including Shanghai), we are
available to serve any company seeking assistance in the following areas:

* Project Sourcing
* Feasibility Determination
* Partner Selection
* Contract Negotiation
* Debt & Equity Arranging
* Export Credit Packaging
* Trading

Princeton Pacific Group handles corporate engagements both on a retainer
and success basis, depending of the aspects of each assignment. Flat fees
for specific work can also be arranged.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
D) China Market Watch (6 items).....................................373 lines
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.   ROLLED STEEL NEEDS HIT 100M TONS

[04-FEB-1994, China Daily Newswire]

TOTAL demand for rolled steel is expected to reach 98 to 100 million tons this
year, predicted a senior official with the Ministry of Metallurgical Industry.

The Ministry plans to produce 81 million tons of rolled steel this year to help
meet the rising demand. Another 9 million tons will be supplied by stockpiles.

The remaining shortage, about 10 million tons, will be met by imports, said
vice-minister Wu Xichun.

The import figure is down considerably from last year's level, 30.26 million
In December alone, 4.45 million tons of rolled steel were imported.

"This is abnormal because at the time the steel price was plummeting, the
stockpile was growing sharply," Wu said.

In recent years, the annual consumption of rolled steel increased sharply.
Total usage of rolled steel in 1991 was 10 million tons more than in 1990,
rising by 15 million tons in 1992.

Last year, it hit an estimated 93 million tons, an increase of 17 million tons
over the previous year, Wu said.

Domestic iron and steel makers produced 75 million tons of rolled steel last
year and exported about 2 million tons.

Because of the 30.26 million tons of imports, stockpiles climbed by about 10
million tons, a record high, and pulled down prices, Wu said.

In 1993 total investment in fixed assets amounted to 1.15 trillion yuan ($132
billion), up 46 per cent over the previous year.

This year the government intends to strengthen macro-control of the economy and
curb fixed assets investment.

And the prices, which experienced dramatic ups and downs last year, will be
steady, they predicted.

  ------      ------      ------      ------      ------      ------

2. PETROCHEM GIANT INKS $180M DEAL

[04-FEB-1994, China Daily Newswire]

BASF AG, a leading German chemical company, yesterday agreed to set up a giant
$180 million petrochemical joint venture in Nanjing, Jiangsu Province.

under the China Petrochemical Corporation (Sinopec) at the Great Hall of the
People in Beijing.

The two will fork out a combined 1.56 billion yuan ($180 million) investment in
the Yangzi BASF Styrenics Company Limited (YBS), one of the largest joint
ventures in China's petrochemical industry.

BASF holds 60 per cent of its shares, while 40 per cent goes to YPC.

The new company is designed to produce 130,000 tons of ethylbenzene, 120,000
tons of styrene and 100,000 tons of polystyrene annually once the project is
underway in a few years.

The joint venture will help China to enhance its plastic processing ability,
sharpen the competitive edge of its petrochemical products and promote
development of light industry, electronics, building materials and automotive
industries.

Sinopec Vice President Yan Sanzhong said at the signing ceremony that the joint
venture would promote Sino-German co-operation in the petrochemical sector.

On Wednesday, Vice Premier Zou Jiahua met Jurgen Strube, chairman of BASF, and
his party. Zou told Strube that China welcomes foreign big-name companies to
invest and set up plants in the country.

BASF has already set up three other joint ventures in the chemical sector.

"Our total promised investment in China will be around 350 million German
deutsch marks ($206 million) when YBS comes on stream in the next few years,"
Strube announced at a Beijing press conference.

BASF will be responsible for basic engineering of the plants for YBS, while the
Chinese partner will provide 20 hectares of land, feedstock, benzene, ethylene,
steam, power and other infrastructure.

Strube said most of the products of YBS would be focused on domestic sales
because of China's high demand for polystyrene, principally used for packaging,
housing of electrical goods and appliances, and toys.

Analysts said YBS would help reduce China's huge annual imports of polystyrene.

China remains one of the world's major consumers of polystyrene, even as the
international market has been saturated. 

  ------      ------      ------      ------      ------      ------

3.   FOREIGN ENTERPRISES SET TO BOOM THIS YEAR

[04-FEB-1994, China Daily Newswire]

FOREIGN-FUNDED enterprises, which reached a total of more than 140,000 last
year, will continue to play a key role in boosting China's foreign trade this
year, according to official sources.

But the growth of their imports led to a record trade deficit of $12.18 billion
last year.

And this trend is expected to continue this year with a sharp increase in
joint-venture imports, Chinese customs officials predicted yesterday.

The foreign-funded firms' trade volume is predicted to hit a record high of $94
billion this year, accounting for about 40 per cent of the country's total
expected trade. This compares with a 34 per cent last year.

Equipment imported by the overseas ventures totalled a record $16.6 billion in
1993 and became the most important factor in China's trade deficit.

The officials made it clear that the rate of overseas investment will increase
now that China has unified its foreign exchange rate this year.

Meanwhile, overseas firms' exports are expected to grow more than 35 per cent
this year to reach a total value of over than $34 billion.

But the increase of the overseas ventures' imports and exports will impose a
major strain on China's efforts to improve its balance of payment this year.
And China's foreign exchange market, which is still weak because supply and
demand are the same, is likely to be affected .

  ------      ------      ------      ------      ------      ------

4.  THREE GORGES BIDDING BEGINS

[03-FEB-1994, China Daily Newswire]

A LEADING Chinese trading company is poised to solicit more international bids
this year for domestic projects like the massive Three Gorges.

Bidding began last week for the Three Gorges Dam Project, China's largest
hydro-power project.

And managers from the firm soliciting the bids, China National Technical Import
the new year.

The Three Gorges bidding process was fulfilled in collaboration with the China
National Huada Construction Machinery Group Corporation.

They signed contracts worth $5.44 million with Germany's Mannesmann Demag and
Krupp for the import of hydraulic excavators, mobile cranes and other parts.

CNTIC has been responsible for more than 80 per cent of China's use of foreign
government, World Bank and Asian Development Bank (ADB) loans.

The CNTIC International Tendering Company, established in 1984, mainly oversees
the use of World Bank and ADB loans, as well as Chinese Government foreign
exchanges.

  ------      ------      ------      ------      ------      ------

5.  HI-TECH TRADER SHOOTS FOR $4 BILLION

[02-FEB-1994, China Daily Newswire]

CHINA's largest technical trading company plans to sign import contracts worth
at least $4 billion this year, a top manager said yesterday.

That represents a slight increase over the 1993 figure of $3.94 billion.
China's total technical import contracts were $5.71 billion last year.

"We will give priority to imports for large domestic projects," said Tong
Changyin, President of the China National Technical Import & Export Corporation
(CNTIC).

CNTIC has been responsible for more than 80 per cent of the loans from foreign
governments, the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank.

Such loans often require international bidding for equipment purchases.
CNTIC hopes its large projects --mainly in power, telecommunications and other
infrastructure sectors -- can be afloat this year.

The company was responsible for importing equipment for several power stations,
steel works, coal mines and cement factories last year.

It has also signed co-operative agreements with Inner Mongolia and Xinjiang
Uygur Autonomous Region in Northwest China to take on most of their foreign
trade.

As a result, CNTIC's imports last year jumped 12 per cent despite competition
from domestic rivals, which had obtained foreign trade rights in the wake of
government decentralization.

The company sustained growth for imports over the past four years.

Its export contracts also reached an all-time high of $314 million in 1993, up
54 per cent over 1992.

The actual delivery of the contracts was $127 million, up 67 per cent.

Tong said his company would sign $360 million worth of export contracts this
year, with the actual delivery hitting $190 million.

He revealed plans to set up a joint venture company with the State Science and
Technology Commission soon to promote China's export of high value-added
products.

CNTIC has already invested in some domestic projects which produce hi-tech
commodities for export.

"Our plan is to set up more domestic production bases for high-return export
items in the coming years," Tong said.

He added that CNTIC would encourage its overseas branches to promote exports
this year.

These branches, more than 30 so far, generated a combined import and export
volume of close to $100 million last year.

Tong said CNTIC plans to establish local headquarters in Southeast Asia, Latin
America, Africa and the Persian Gulf this year, while studying that possibility
in the Commonwealth of Independent States. 

  ------      ------      ------      ------      ------      ------

6. COMPANIES REQUIRED TO RENEW THEIR TRADEMARKS

[25-JAN-1994, China Daily Newswire]

OFFICIALS yesterday warned companies that they must renew their trademarks
before they expire.

Companies that do not meet the deadline will have their trademarks invalidated,
said an official in charge of the country's trademark registration.

A large number of Chinese companies have failed to renew their property rights
according to the Trademark Law.

"More than 85,000 trademarks passed their 10-year legal validity term last
March, and about 50,000 owners failed to apply for re-registration by last
September," said the official, who refused to be named.

Expired trademarks become nullified after 10 years and are no longer protected
by law.

The official urged  companies  to re-register their trademarks as soon as
possible before use of them becomes illegal.

According to the Chinese Trademark Law, issued in 1983, a registered trademark
is valid for 10 years, and re-registration is required six months prior to the
expiration date. A grace period of six months after the expiration date is
permitted, though fir ms that delay must pay a fine.

 "Trademarks that are not re-registered become illegal and products bearing the
marks will no longer be allowed to be sold," the official said.

The official added that many companies, especially those in rural areas, have
stopped using their trademarks without informing the government.

Experts have also attributed the failure to re-register on poor trademark
management and uninformed owners.

They urged enterprises to check  the expiration date of their trademarks and
re-register immediately if they are overdue.

In the first nine months of last year, the State administration and its local
branches handled 27,000 cases of trademark infringement, statistics show.

And as of last September, the bureau said there were 395,000 authorized
trademarks in the country. Domestic firms accounted for 340,000, and foreign
firms -- from Kodak of the US to Sony of Japan -- accounted for 55,000.

The administration has set up 63 branch offices nationwide to handle trademark
registration. 

===========================================================================
*       YOU CAN READ PAST WEEKS NEWSLETTER BY gopher ifcss.org            *
*                    DIRECTORY:  /org/cnlink                              *
*                                                                         *
*         china-link LIST IS MAINTINED BY [email-masked]              * 
*                                                                         *
*       For other information regarding the club, advertisment,           * 
*       news contribution and trade, please send your e-mail to:          *
*                                                                         *
*                       [email-masked]                              *
*                                                                         *   
*       And define your SUBJECT line as follows:                          *
*                                                                         *
*         TO SUB / UNSUB:                        SUB or UNSUB             *
*         TO CONTRIBUTE/ADVERTISE:               AD or NEWS               *
*         TO RESPOND TO TRADE LEADS:             BUSINESS                 *
*         TO JOIN THE CHINA-LINK CLUB:           CLUB                     * 
*         TO REQUEST MORE INFORMATION:           QUESTION                 *
*         TO RETRIEVE CONTACT NAMES:             CONTACTS                 *
*                                                                         *
*      !! Please also include your name, mailing address,  !!             *
*      !! phone number, fax number & contact person(s)     !!             * 
*      !! in the message body for the CLUB subject.        !!             *
*                                                                         *
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------