Subject: CHINA IMP/EXP NEWS (CN940309)

From: [email-masked] (wangc)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 94 00:30:26 CST

**********************************************************************
  #                                                                    #
  #       C H I N A     I M P O R T / E X P O R T     N E W S          #
  #       ---------     -------------------------     -------          #
  #                                                                    #
  #           A WEEKLY NEWSLETTER FROM THE CHINA-LINK CLUB             #
  #                                                                    #
  #                   E-mail: [email-masked]                     #
  #                                                                    #
  **********************************************************************

                       March 9, 1994 (CN940309)

CONTENTS                                                             LINES
==========================================================================
A) BUSINESS SECTION INDEX............................................. 281
   a) TRADE LEADS...................................................... 10 
   b) WEEKLY INTERNATIONAL TRADE NEWS INDEX............................271
B) CHINA MARKET WATCH: METAL MARKET IN CHINA...........................168
==========================================================================
NOTES: BUSINESS SECTION can be automatically retrieved from 
       [email-masked]   with the SUBJECT: BUSINESS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A) BUSINESS SECTION INDEX............................................. 281
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
a) TRADE LEADS........................................................ 86
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
WANTED: SCRAP METALS (700,000 MT needed)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
WANTED:	COMPLETE CAR WASHING SETUP
---------------------------------------------------------------------
WANTED: SECOND-HAND VESSELS 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
SELL: FOUR FISHING TRAWLER/REFRIGERATOR BOATS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
b) WEEKLY INTERNATIONAL TRADE NEWS INDEX..............................271
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTES: This is a trial issue of our new services. Please mail your comments
       to  [email-masked]  with SUBJECT: COMMENTS 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some  Brazilian  ferrosilicon  dumping margins increased. (by Department of
     Commerce) (Brief Article)
 American Metal Market  v102 n40 p16(1) March 1, 1994
 ARTICLE TYPE: Brief Article

ATMI  threatens  to  oppose  GATT  over  market  access concerns. (American
     Textile  Manufacturers  Institute,  General  Agreement  on Tariffs and
     Trade)
 Ostroff, Jim
 Daily News Record  v24 n41 p9(1) March 2, 1994

U.S.-Japan  cellular pact held near. (agreement may avert sanctions against
     Japan)
 Pollack, Andrew
 New York Times  v143 col 4 pC2(N) pD2(L) March 4, 1994

Hoarding  results in Japan rice shortage. (result of opening long-protected
     market to imports)
 Holley, David
 Los Angeles Times  v113 col 1 pD6 March 2, 1994

Official say Europe willing to do lunch. (European commissioner for culture
     and  audiovisual  policy,  Joao de Deus Pinheiro predicts loosening of
     restrictive film policies)
 Bates, James
 Los Angeles Times  v113 col 3 pD2 March 2, 1994

High-stakes  game  for state's workers; a trade war could prove devastating
     to  California's  recovery.  But  some  could benefit. (US-Japan Trade
     Tensions)
 Lee, Patrick
 Los Angeles Times  v113 col 2 pD1 March 2, 1994

U.S.  readies  sanction  on  Japan.  (Super 301 provision places tariffs on
     Japanese goods) (US-Japan Trade Tensions)
 Gerstanzang, James
 Los Angeles Times  v113 col 2 pD1 March 2, 1994

TOYOTA STATEMENT ON 'SUPER 301' RENEWAL
 PR Newswire p0304LA016 March 4, 1994
 AVAILABILITY:  FULL TEXT Online   LINE COUNT: 00013

US,  Canadian  labs  extend recognition. (trade agreement) (Focus: Advanced
     Materials) (Brief Article)
 Schmitt, Bill
 American Metal Market  v102 n41 p5(1) March 2, 1994
 ARTICLE TYPE: Brief Article

Latin  American producers put pedals to metal. (automobile industry booming
     in Latin America) (GloboCars: The Next Century)
 Long, William R.
 Los Angeles Times  v113 col 1 pH2 March 1, 1994

The  last  frontier  for  sales;  auto  makers  the  world  over  eye China
     lustfully.  Yet  inefficiency  and trade barriers have helped keep its
     potential largely unrealized. (GloboCars: The Next Century)
 Tempest, Rone
 Los Angeles Times  v113 col 1 pH2 March 1, 1994

Auto  makers drive for new world markets. (automobile industry searches for
     new business in international markets) (GloboCars: The Next Century)
 Nauss, Donald W.
 Los Angeles Times  v113 col 2 pH1 March 1, 1994

Clinton  weighs  auctioning off textile quota to pay for GATT; Kantor tells
     House committee. (President Bill Clinton plan for General Agreement on
     Tariffs  and Trade tariff loss, US Trade Representative Mickey Kantor)
     (Brief Article)
 Barrett, Joyce
 Daily News Record  v24 n42 p 14(1) March 3, 1994
 ARTICLE TYPE: Brief Article

Hope  for Apache, Black Hawk production gaps. (AH-64A Apache and Black Hawk
     helicopters)(Aerospace Daily Focus: A Supplement to Aerospace Daily)
 Tirpak, John
 Aerospace Daily  v169 n43 p346(1) March 4, 1994

BAe, Avro caught as rift grows between Malaysia, Britain. (investigation of
     British  arms  sales  to Malaysia might affect British Aerospace PLC's
     operations in the country)
 Aerospace Daily  v169 n43 p341(1) March 4, 1994

Malaysian  trade  debacle  puts  Major  in  a squeeze. (John Major of Great
     Britain)
 MacLeod, Alexander
 Christian Science Monitor  v86 n67 col 1 p9 March 2, 1994

Britain  accused  of  tinkering on Malaysian dam. (British aid tied to arms
     purchases from British companies) (International Pages)
 Darnton, John
 New York Times  v143 col 4 pA5(N) pA14(L) March 4, 1994

Russia  cutting  fuel  to  neighbors.  (natural  gas deliveries to Ukraine,
     Belarus) (International Pages)
 New York Times  v143 col 2 pA5(N) pA6(L) March 4, 1994

Russia starts gas cutoffs. (Gazprom begins cutting off shipments to Ukraine
     and Belarus) (World Wire)
 Holman, Richard L.
 Wall Street Journal col 5 pA7(W) pA4(E) March 4, 1994

Critics  of  U.S.  stance  on  Japan  want  Clintonites to pick fights more
     shrewdly.
 Keatley, Robert
 Wall Street Journal col 2 pA7(W) pA4(E) March 4, 1994

Clinton  renews  trade  measure  aimed  at  Japan; tough provision steps up
     tensions with Tokyo; early action unlikely. (Super 301)
 Nomani, Asra Q.; Hamilton, David P.
 Wall Street Journal col 1 pA3(W) pA3(E) March 4, 1994

Poor,  poor  Motorola.  (argument  against  forcing Japan to mitigate trade
     barriers) (Column)
 Latham, Scott
 Wall Street Journal col 3 pA16(W) pA16(E) March 3, 1994
 ARTICLE TYPE: Column

U.S.  delegations send mixed signals to China over renewal of trade status.
     (Most Favored Nation status)
 Chen, Kathy
 Wall Street Journal col 2 pA10(W) pA11(E) March 3, 1994

Hint  of  U.S.  trade  escalation  draws warning from Japan. (prospect that
     President  Clinton  might reinstate stringent trade law that would let
     him  impose  sanctions  on Japan if it fails to open up its markets to
     U.S. goods)
 Sterngold, James
 New York Times  v143 col 1 pC1(N) pD1(L) March 3, 1994

South Korean trade deficit. (February)
 Wall Street Journal col 3 pC19(W) March 3, 1994

Clinton  considers  selling  quota  rights for textile imports as source of
     funds.  (to regain some revenue lost from General Agreement on Tariffs
     and Trade implementation)
 Nomani, Asra Q.
 Wall Street Journal col 5 pA2(W) pA2(E) March 3, 1994

AMWAY  CONTINUES  EXPANSION INTO FORMER EAST BLOC OF EUROPE WITH OPENING IN
     CZECH REPUBLIC
 PR Newswire p0301DE021 March 1, 1994
 AVAILABILITY:  FULL TEXT Online   LINE COUNT: 00053

U.S.  memo  says Mexico may bar Nafta growth. (Mexico may block adding more
     Latin American countries to North American Free Trade Agreement)
 Bradsher, Keith
 New York Times  v143 col 1 pC2(N) pD2(L) March 1, 1994

Uncertainty leads markets on wild ride
Holsendolph, Ernest
Atlanta Journal Constitution (ATCJ) Sec C, p 3, col 1  Mar 6, 1994
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60192.00

Lessons emerge from years of U.S. dickering with Japan
Jameson, Sam
Los Angeles Times (LA) Sec D, p 1, col 2  Mar 6, 1994  ISSN: 0458-3035
AVAILABILITY:    Los Angeles Times, Times Mirror Sq, Los Angeles CA 90053

Trade war isn't so swell either
Friedman, Thomas L
New York Times (NY) Sec 4, p 4, col 1  Mar 6, 1994  ISSN: 0362-4331
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60001.01

Japan's trade surplus with U.S surges by an unexpected 30.9%
Holley, David; Jameson, Sam
Los Angeles Times (LA) Sec D, p 1, col 3  Mar 5, 1994  ISSN: 0458-3035
AVAILABILITY:    Los Angeles Times, Times Mirror Sq, Los Angeles CA 90053

New U.S. pressure on trade doesn't seem to spur Japan
Sanger, David E
New York Times (NY) Sec A, p 39, col 1  Mar 5, 1994  ISSN: 0362-4331
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60001.01

Risking a trade war
New York Times (NY) Sec A, p 22, col 1  Mar 5, 1994  ISSN: 0362-4331
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60001.01

Europe shifts to softer trade approach with Japan while U.S. gets tougher
Milbank, Dana
Wall Street Journal (WSJ) Sec A, p 2, col 2  Mar 3, 1994  ISSN: 0099-9660
AVAILABILITY:    Dow Jones & Co, Inc, 200 Liberty Street, New York NY 10281

Keep open mind when going global
Poole, Shelia M
Atlanta Journal Constitution (ATCJ) Sec C, p 4, col 1  Mar 5, 1994
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60192.00

Clinton's tougher stance angers Japan
Atlanta Constitution (ATC) Sec D, p 1, col 2  Mar 4, 1994
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60191.00

Retaliation on France seen near
Hohler, Bob
Boston Globe (BG) p 1, col 6  Mar 4, 1994  ISSN: 0743-1791
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60494.00

U.S. reimposes law to allow trade sanctions on Japan
Gerstenzang, James; Holley, David
Los Angeles Times (LA) Sec A, p 1, col 5  Mar 4, 1994  ISSN: 0458-3035
AVAILABILITY:    Los Angeles Times, Times Mirror Sq, Los Angeles CA 90053

President revives tough trade step to pressure Japan
Friedman, Thomas L
New York Times (NY) Sec A, p 1, col 6  Mar 4, 1994  ISSN: 0362-4331
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60001.01

Clinton aims a warning shot on trade--Away from Japan
Behr, Peter
Washington Post (WP) Sec B, p 1, col 1  Mar 4, 1994  ISSN: 0190-8286
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60208.00

Talking trade amid the hubbub
Los Angeles Times (LA) Sec B, p 6, col 1  Mar 3, 1994  ISSN: 0458-3035
AVAILABILITY:    Los Angeles Times, Times Mirror Sq, Los Angeles CA 90053

Japan toughens talk in dealing with U.S. trade
Hamilton, David P
Wall Street Journal (WSJ) Sec A, p 10, col 1  Mar 1, 1994  ISSN: 0099-9660
AVAILABILITY:    Dow Jones & Co, Inc, 200 Liberty Street, New York NY 10281

Some small American companies find Japan not so impenetrable
Barr, Cameron W
Christian Science Monitor (CS) p 11, col 1  Mar 4, 1994  ISSN: 0882-7729
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60493.00

U.S., Japan firms:  China dumping disks
Kim, James
USA TODAY (US) Sec B, p 1, col 2  Mar 4, 1994  ISSN: 0734-7456
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60430.00

Asia's lucrative challenge for US small businesses
Miller, George
Christian Science Monitor (CS) p 18, col 3  Mar 3, 1994  ISSN: 0882-7729
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60493.00

China makes concessions in US talks in a bid to maintain its trade status
Tefft, Sheila
Christian Science Monitor (CS) p 1, col 2  Mar 3, 1994  ISSN: 0882-7729
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60493.00

USA gains luster, Japan fades
Visgaitis, Gary
USA TODAY (US) Sec B, p 2, col 3  Mar 3, 1994  ISSN: 0734-7456
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60430.00

White House may renew trade weapon
USA TODAY (US) Sec B, p 1, col 2  Mar 3, 1994  ISSN: 0734-7456
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60430.00

Japan Inc. has lost aura of invincibility
Memmott, Mark; Hillkirk, John
USA TODAY (US) Sec B, p 1, col 4  Mar 3, 1994  ISSN: 0734-7456
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60430.00

Japan's trade surplus matters
Tyson, Laura D
Wall Street Journal (WSJ) Sec A, p 14, col 4  Mar 1, 1994  ISSN: 0099-9660
AVAILABILITY:    Dow Jones & Co, Inc, 200 Liberty Street, New York NY 10281

China's boom creates a US trade dilemma
Yochelson, John
Christian Science Monitor (CS) p 19, col 1  Mar 1, 1994  ISSN: 0882-7729
AVAILABILITY:    UMIACH  CATALOG NO.:  60493.00

ZIMBABWE ANNOUNCES MAJOR FINANCIAL AND TRADE LIBERALIZATION REFORM.
TNT CITE: 94 TNI 41-8  (MARCH 02, 1994)
DATE : March 03, 1994
DOC TYPE: News Stories
CODE CLASSIFICATION: Foreign Taxation
AVAILABILITY: Full Text length is 73 lines
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
C) CHINA'S METAL MARKET...........................................168 lines
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Editor's Notes: The following special collection is compiled from  serveral
news wires written by Cary O'Reilly, Knight-Ridder Financial News. For more
detailed   coverage,   please   refer    to    the    original    articles.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: Knight-Ridder Financial News

HEADLINES:
**********

  HONG KONG--Mar. 4--China's domestic demand for  copper  and  aluminum  is
"soaring,"  and imports of foreign metal are likely to surpass exports this
year, the official China Daily newspaper reported.

  Tokyo--Mar 4--New taxes on imports of nonferrous metals are causing  con-
fusion among traders and should limit China's copper purchases this month.

  Tokyo--Mar 4--Sharp decreases  in  bank  lending  activity  should  limit
China's imports of aluminum, traders say.

  Tokyo--Mar 4--After emerging a year ago as a leading  exporter  of  zinc,
China is set lift exports even higher this year.

  Shanghai--Mar 3--Demand is outstripping supply  in  China  due  to  rapid
growth from the construction, beverage can and transportation industries.

CURRENT SITUATION:
******************

CHINA COPPER OUTLOOK: NEW TAX LAWS SEEN HURTING IMPORTERS DATE:  March  04,
1994 Knight-Ridder

  China lowered taxes on imports of copper to 3 pct from 5 pct at  the  be-
ginning  of  the year, but imposed a 17 pct value added tax on all imports,
lifting the cost of foreign copper considerably, traders say.

  Copper currently fetches about 19,250 Renminbi yuan, or  about  2,215  US
dlrs,  per  tonne  on  the  Shanghai  Metal  Exchange, and has been falling
steadily in recent weeks.

  About 120,000 tonnes of copper is understood to be sitting  in  duty-free
warehouses  in Shanghai. That will help offset demand in the near-term, but
China will still have to import large amounts of copper in the second  half
of the year to meet demand.

CHINA ALUMINUM OUTLOOK: LACK OF LENDING HURTS ALUMINUM IMPORTS DATE:  March
04, 1994 Knight-Ridder

  China will import only about 10,000 tonnes of aluminum this  month,  com-
pared with 16,500 tonnes a month on average in 1993.

  Currently, Chinese-made aluminum ingots  fetch  12,000  renminbi  yuan  a
tonne (1,308 US dlrs).

CHINA ZINC OUTLOOK: EXPORTS TO BE BOOSTED DESPITE WORLD  GLUT  DATE:  March
04, 1994 Knight-Ridder

  China should export over 200,000 tonnes this year, up from 160,000 tonnes
in  1993,  market  observers say. This compares with just 75,000 tonnes ex-
ported in 1992.

  China is forecast to export 30,000 tonnes of zinc  this  month,  compared
with 20,000 tonnes in February.

  China has reduced tariffs on exports of zinc metal and concentrates  this
year,  encouraging  more foreign sales. Tariffs on such exports were 30 pct
in 1993.

CHINA'S IMPORTS OF ALUMINUM, COPPER LIKELY TO TOP EXPORTS  DATE:  March  4,
1994 Knight-Ridder Financial via The Journal of Commerce

  China produced 690,700 metric tons of copper in  1993,  with  imports  of
unwrought  copper  and copper alloys at 267,054 tons for the January to No-
vember period, official figures showed.

  The demand for copper and aluminum in China has caused a major state  im-
port  and  export company - China National Nonferrous Metals Import and Ex-
port  Corp.  -  to cut back on exports of the two metals in favor  of  lead
and zinc exports, the report said.

  The company this year plans to import $900 million  worth  of  nonferrous
metals  -  mostly copper and aluminum ore from Australia and South America,
the report said, quoting general manager Fang Dacheng.

  The company also plans to export $490 million worth of nonferrous  metals
this  year,  Fang said. But he admitted that the target may be difficult to
achieve because of the "sluggish" world market.

  The company in 1993 failed to reach its target of $480 million in nonfer-
rous metals exports, he said.

CHINA'S 1993 EXPORTS OF COPPER DOWN 47.7 PCT; ALUMINUM UP  21.4  PCT  DATE:
March 03, 1994 Knight-Ridder

  China exported 6,443 tonnes of unwrought copper and its alloys  in  1993,
down 47.7 pct from 1992, according to official external trade statistics.

  December exports of unwrought copper totaled 1,452 tonnes, according to a
monthly report edited by China's General Administration of Customs.

  China exported 5,293 tonnes of copper products in December, putting  1993
exports at 43,296 tonnes, up 1.6 pct from 1992.

  Exports of unwrought aluminum and its alloys in December  totaled  13,541
tonnes,  bringing  total  1993  exports  to 67,784 tonnes, up 21.4 pct from
1992.

  Exports of aluminum products were 2,935 tonnes in December,  taking  1993
exports to 30,281 tonnes, down 6.4 pct from 1992.

CHINA'S 1993 UNWROUGHT COPPER IMPORTS DN 4 PCT, ALUMINUM DN  28  PCT  DATE:
March 03, 1994 Knight-Ridder

  China imported 96,491 tonnes of unwrought copper and its  alloys  in  De-
cember,  taking  the  total for all of 1993 to 363,544 tonnes, according to
official external trade statistics.

  The total for 1993 was down 4.0 pct from 1992, according to a monthly re-
port edited by China's General Administration of Customs.

  China's imports of copper products totaled  31,800  tonnes  in  December,
bringing the total for 1993 to 208,317 tonnes, up 30.6 pct from 1992.

  Imports of unwrought aluminum and aluminum  alloys  were  put  at  15,825
tonnes in December, bringing the total for the year to 165,694 tonnes, down
27.8 pct from 1992.

  The report also said China imported 26,481 tonnes of aluminum products in
December, taking the 1993 total at 125,030 tonnes, up 9.3 pct from 1992.

CHINA 1993 ZINC EXPORTS JUMP 142.2 PCT, TIN EXPORTS CLIMB  34.4  PCT  DATE:
March 03, 1994 Knight-Ridder

  China's exports of unwrought zinc and its alloys totaled 65,971 tonnes in
December,  bringing  total 1993 exports to 205,565 tonnes, 142.2 pct higher
than in 1992, according to official external trade statistics.

  In December, China exported 9,290 tonnes of unwrought tin and its alloys,
bringing  total 1993 tin exports to 40,703 tonnes, a 34.4-pct increase over
1992, according to the report edited by China's General  Administration  of
Customs.

PERSPECTIVE:
************

ALCOA, KOBE STEEL TO ASSIST ALUMINUM MARKET DATE: March  03,  1994  Knight-
Ridder

  The China National Nonferrous Metals Industry Corp.  (CNNC), Japan's Kobe
Steel Ltd. and Aluminum Co. of America will cooperate in developing China's
aluminum industry, a Kobe spokesman confirmed today.

  The three companies have signed an agreement to study a range of possible
joint-venture  projects,  from  the  mining  of  raw materials to the semi-
fabrication of aluminum products.

  China produced about 1.2 million tonnes of aluminum in 1993, up 11.3  pct
from 1992. China also imported more than 290,000 tonnes of aluminum in 1993
to meet its requirements, according  to  government  statistics.  China  is
seeking to almost double its current output of aluminum to 2 million tonnes
within 7 years.

========================================================================
*       YOU CAN GET BACK ISSUES OF China Imp/Exp News                  * 
*               By gopher or ftp to ifcss.org                          *
*                  DIRECTORY:  /org/cnlink                             *
*                                                                      *
*         China-link LIST IS MAINTAINED BY [email-masked]          * 
*                                                                      *
*       For other information regarding the club, advertisment,        * 
*       news contribution and trade, please send your e-mail to:       *
*                       [email-masked]                           *
*       And define your SUBJECT line as follows:                       *
*                                                                      *
*         TO SUB/UNSUB:                          SUB or UNSUB          *
*         TO CONTRIBUTE/ADVERTISE:               AD or NEWS            *
*         TO RESPOND TO TRADE LEADS:             RESPONDS              *
*         TO INQUIRE INFO OF CHINA-LINK CLUB:    CLUB                  * 
*         TO REQUEST MORE INFORMATION:           QUESTION              *
*         TO RETRIEVE BUSINESS SECTION:          BUSINESS              *
*         TO HELP ORGARNIZE CLUB:                HELP                  *
*         TO RETRIEVE FREE IBM-PC SOFTWARES:     SHAREWARES            *
*                                                                      *
*----------------------------------------------------------------------*