Subject: CHINA IMP/EXP NEWS (CN940501)

From: [email-masked] (wangc)
Date: Mon, 2 May 94 11:08:06 CDT

**********************************************************************
 #                                                                    # 
 #       C H I N A     I M P O R T / E X P O R T     N E W S          #
 #       ---------     -------------------------     -------          # 
 #                                                                    #
 #         A BIWEEKLY NEWSLETTER FROM THE CHINA-LINK CLUB             #
 #                                                                    #
 #                   E-mail: [email-masked]                     #
 #                                                                    #
 **********************************************************************

                    May 1 1994     (CN940501) 

CONTENTS                                                           LINES
========================================================================
EDITOR'S NOTES: .............................................. 36 lines

BUSINESS SECTION INDEX ....................................... 75 lines

CHINA OUTLOOK:................................................ 42 lines

CHINA TRADE NEWS: ........................................... 117 lines

CHINA MARKET GUIDE: .......................................... 64 lines
========================================================================
EDITOR'S NOTES: .............................................. 36 lines

Dear netters,

We are pleased to notice you that you can retrieve the TRADE LEADS DATABASE
in our netlib via automatical e-mail retrieval.  

At the same time we discontinued business section from [email-masked]

Please continue to send your AD, NEWS, ORG, SHAREWARES etc request to:

			[email-masked]

We are still working on the netlib trade database. 
		 PLEASE DO NOT ABUSE THE SYSTEM!

 ===== How to use [email-masked] via e-mail =====

 This file is the reply you'll get to:

 MAIL TO:   [email-masked]

 SUBJECT:   send index

 Here are examples of the various kinds of requests.
 *  get the full index for a library
 	send index from buy    
 *  get the full files for a library
 	send b940501010 from buy    
 *  keyword search for netlib trade leads
 	find scrap 
 *  (optional) end of request
 	quit

 The Internet address "[email-masked] refers to a gateway
 machine, at IFCSS at Washington DC 
 This address should be understood on all the major networks.  

========================================================================
BUSINESS SECTION INDEX ..................................... 75 lines

Please retrieve the full advertisement and contact names from NETLIB

Examples: If you want to retrieve the contact for the Scrap Metals Wanted,
 you send your mail to:   [email-masked]

In the SUBJECT line: send b940501010 from buy

Waite a few minutes, you should be backed with the file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A) GOODS WANTED (Netlib Directory: buy)

(b940501001)

- scrap iron and scrap steel (if possible from rails or tanks)
- rubber (SBR 1500,1502,1712, and SKJ, 1500 mt each)
- hospital equipment (operating desk, operating lamp, echography device,
  (mammography device, beds, etc)
- tram rails, 900 t

(b940501010)

WANTED: SCRAP METALS

All kinds of scrap metals, please quota us CIF Shanghai.
We are looking for a long term players. We prefer big scraps.

Each year we need 700,000  mT of scrap iron and steel scrap.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
B) GOODS FRO SALE (Netlib Directory: sell)

(s940501001 -- s940501006)
	Lead-Acid Storage Battery For Motocycle
	Maintenance-Free Sealed Lead-Acid Battery
	Lead-Acid Battery For Passenger Train
	Car Battery
	Maintenance-Free Sealed Lead-Acid Battery(1)
	Maintenance-Free Sealed Lead-Acid Battery(2)
	Lead-Acid Battery For Passenger Train
	Australia Sheepskin seat Covers (Made in China)

(s940501007)
        Garlic, the state-guided price will be announced soon.
        Peanut, 3000 metric ton, FOB $US 705 from Qingdao.
        Cotton shirts

C) FAIR AND EVENTS (Netlib Directory: fair)

(f940501001)

Pacific Rim ExPatriates (PREP) to hold reception on May 25 (fwd)

D) BUSINESS JOBS (Netlib Directory: job)

(o940501001) JOB OPENING:

	Major U.S. company needs individuals to work on a project for
	the People's Republic of China.  Computer technical backgound,
	and English-to-Chinese translation skills.  Familiarity with
	current Chinese usage of computer terms will be a plus.  Work
	at your home.

(w940501001) JOB WANTED

Position involving international business consulting, marketing
research, technology transfer, joint ventures, etc., where foreign
languages (Chinese and German), information acquisition, and
interpersonal skills are key to success.

========================================================================
US-CHINA  TRADE  FAIR ...................................... 64 lines

GANSU  TRADE  FAIR  2:   
   China's  Silk  Road  comes  to L.A.; Gansu, China,
exhibitors  present  a  wide  range  of  investment  opportunities
and products for the first time in the United States April 27, 1994
Byline:        News/Business Editors

    LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 27, 1994--In ancient times,
merchants and traders drove their treasure-laden caravans down the
famed Silk Road, which coursed through the Gansu Province in Northwest
China, linking it with Central Asia and the Roman Empire.
    Today, it seems fitting that Gansu merchants and traders travel to
Los Angeles to present their indigenous treasures to the American
market.
    Numerous investment opportunities and a large showcase of products
will be presented for the first time in the United States by more than
100 exhibitors from the interior Chinese province of Gansu at the GANSU
PROVINCE TRADE AND INVESTMENT FAIR, May 17 through 20, at the Los
Angeles Convention Center's Petree Hall.
    More than 150 investment opportunities, including these, will be
presented:
    -- Energy:  hydropower stations, thermal power stations; --
    Transportation/Communication:  highway, airport construction,
       telecommunications; -- Textiles:  polypropylene, microfiber,
    jean cloth production; -- Machinery/Electronics:  microwave ovens,
    gearshift boxes,
       internal combustion engines, welding equipment; -- Chemicals:
    polyurethane paint, recycling used tires; -- Building Materials:
    float glass, granite board, laminated
       glass; -- Metals:  steel slab continuous casting and rolling,
    aluminum
       foil, zinc oxide, calcium carbide; --
    Food/Farming/Pharmaceutical:  vitamin C, juices, canned fruits
       and vegetables, medical capsules; -- Real Estate/Tourism:
    various, 18 projects.  In addition, product exhibitors, which
include Gansu's largest trading companies and enterprises, will
show a variety of commodities in a wide range of categories:  light
industrial, textiles, metals/ minerals, cereals/food, medicine/health,
arts/crafts, machinery/ equipment, chemicals and native produce/animal
by-products.
    THE GANSU PROVINCE TRADE AND INVESTMENT FAIR, which is being held
in conjunction with Southern California's World Trade Week '94, will
offer a series of activities designed to focus attention on the
importance of international trade to the region's growth and economy.
    As a complement to the trade show and interwoven throughout the
four days, free seminars will be conducted on a variety of investment
and trade topics, including:  preferential policies toward foreign
investment in the Gansu Province; preferential policies for local
economic zones and real-estate development; investment opportunities
for hydropower; foreign investment and foreign currency control reform;
and the introduction of Gansu's chemical and medical products to the
U.S. market.
    Savvy buyers and investors would be wise to take advantage of this
rare opportunity to explore the potential of the burgeoning Gansu
market.

    CONTACT:  Myriad Creative, Culver City, Calif.
	      Betti Dubini, 310/645-8847
    KEYWORD:  CALIFORNIA INDUSTRY KEYWORD:  AEROSPACE/DEFENSE
    AUTOMOTIVE  BANKING
		       CHEMICALS  ENERGY  FOODS/BEVERAGES  MEDICINE
		       MINING  REAL ESTATE  RETAIL  APPAREL/TEXTILES
		       TRANSPORTATION

========================================================================
CHINA OUTLOOK:................................................ 42 lines
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHINA'S COTTON CRISIS CRIPPLES TEXTILE GROWTH
North American Business Report    DATE:  May 1, 1994   04:04 E.T.
 
BEIJING (Reuter) - China's cotton crisis, as feared by industry analysts,
has begun to slow the growth of the nation's textile sector, a backbone
export industry.
 The China National Textile Council reported that first quarter textile
output hit $7 billion, the official China Daily reported Sunday.
 The figure reflected an increase of only 5.14 percent over the
first-quarter 1993 level, when quarterly growth was pegged at a more robust
8.3 percent, the council noted.
 More ominously, first quarter output of yarn actually fell 2.4 percent to
1.03 million tons, while cloth production fell 6.34 percent to 3.2 billion
tons, the council said.

CHINA VOWS 10 YEARS OF CAR-INDUSTRY PROTECTION
North American Business Report    DATE:  May 1, 1994   02:24 E.T.
BYLINE:     Jeffrey Parker
 BEIJING (Reuter) - China vowed Sunday to protect its inefficient auto
industry from imports for 10 years while it consolidates more than 120
carmakers into a handful of globally competitive giants.
 ''The protection of the market for trucks needs to span three to five
years, but for sedans (it will span) 10 years,'' the state-run newspaper
quoted the official as saying.
 Protection will be by means of import tariffs, import quotas, licensing
and other methods that will vary by vehicle type, said the official, who
was not identified by name.

CHINA CRACKS DOWN ON FUTURES MARKETS
North American Business Report    DATE:  April 27, 1994   17:45 E.T.
BYLINE:     Andrew Browne
 SHANGHAI, China (Reuter) - Beijing is cracking down on some of its
chaotic futures markets, ordering a halt to trading in dozens of
commodities contracts in a battle against speculators who are fueling
inflation.
 Key commodities affected are steel, sugar and coal.  In addition,
China's largest metals exchange in Shanghai, which mainly trades
copper futures, has been instructed not to accept bank guarantees and
to shift to a cash-only payment system starting July 1.
 The crackdown reflects official alarm at rising commodity prices that
are stirring public anger.

========================================================================
CHINA TRADE NEWS: ........................................... 117 lines
------------------------------------------------------------------------
========================================================================
HINA TO REQUIRE CASH IN FUTURES DEALS DATE: April 29, 1994
Knight-Ridder Financial via The Journal of Commerce

TOKYO--Apr.   29--China's   metals  exchanges  will  require cash-only
payments for futures trading of copper, aluminum and other base metals
as of July 1, a spokeswoman for the Shanghai Metals Exchange said
Thursday.
  While allowing futures trading to continue in base metals, China has
at least temporarily banned the issuing of bank guarantees for futures
trading in these commodities as of July 1, the official said.

CENTRALIZE OIL IMPORTS DATE: April 29, 1994  19:34 E.T.  WORD COUNT:
360 Knight-Ridder Financial via The Journal of Commerce
    SINGAPORE--Apr.   29--Oil   products   imported   into  China
will  be centralized from mid-May under two state-owned oil trading
companies, Unipec and Sinochem, Asian trade sources said Thursday.
  Sources at Unipec here and in Hong Kong and Beijing said the deadline
could be either May 15 or May 20.
  The centralization move is in response to a comprehensive reform plan
for China's oil industry. The plan, submitted to the State Council,
or cabinet, by the state-run China National Petrochemical Corp.
(Sinopec), calls for import licenses for oil products to be granted
only to Unipec and Sinochem.

BANK TO FINANCE MAJOR IMPORT, EXPORT PROJECTS DATE: April 29, 1994
19:30 E.T.  WORD COUNT: 202 Knight-Ridder Financial via The Journal of
    HONG  KONG--Apr. 29--China has opened an import-export bank, the
second of three new "policy banks" that will provide long-term,
low-interest loans to approved government projects, the official Xinhua
News Agency reported.
  The Import and Export Bank of China will finance major trade deals by
providing   import  and  export  credits,  the  report  said.  The
central government will inject the funds required for the bank's
capital assets, it said.
  The bank itself will issue bonds domestically and internationally to
raise working capital. The report gave no other details.

COTTON SALES TO CHINA CONFIRMED, BUT EFFECT MAY BE MUTED DATE: April
28, 1994  16:51 E.T.  WORD COUNT: 357 Knight-Ridder
  Kansas City--Apr 28--Today's US export sales report reflected net
sales of 307,200 bales of cotton to China, but some trade sources said
the data's effect on NY futures Friday could be muted.
  The report came out at 1500 ET, reflecting net sales of 307,200 bales
of US cotton to China. However, 237,900 bales of that amount were
attributed to destination changes, meaning the bulk of the sales came
from previous export commitments.
  Last year, 80 pct of this marketing year's export sales were
registered during the last week of April under a 6.63-cent-per-pound
marketing certificate.
  In the week ended Apr 29, 1993, exporters registered 5.1 million
bales of cotton. More than half that amount was registered to unknown
destinations.

CHINA ND RUSSIA TRADE ALMOST DOUBLED BY 2000 
DATE: April 28, 1994  19:51 E.T.  WORD COUNT:
439 Knight-Ridder Financial via The Journal of Commerce
    MOSCOW--Apr. 28--Russia's trade with China is expected to almost
double by the year 2000, with Beijing becoming Moscow's major
trading partner, according to the Russian parliament's international
relations committee.
  There are also plans to build a new bridge and railway crossing at
the Russian city of Blagoveshchensk.
The Chinese government has suggested the creation of free-trade zones
along  the  border,  but  the  suggestion is viewed with caution in
Moscow, mainly because of the illegal migration of Chinese citizens
into Russia.
  The Russian federal immigration service estimates that currently up
to 1.5 million Chinese citizens have settled illegally in the Russian
border regions.
  Meanwhile, the Russian and Chinese governments are settling Russia's
outstanding debts to China, which total some $1.59 billion, including
$570 million worth of goods undelivered under clearing agreements of
1986-90, a $350 million Chinese credit of 1990 and another credit of
$670 million extended by China in 1991.
  In payment for the 1990 credit, Russia will deliver to China this
year $290 million worth of goods. The outstanding clearing debts will
be repaid almost in full this year with deliveries of military
equipment.  By Grigori Gerenstein END!A6?JC-KRF-RUSSIA-TRADE

CHINA REPORTS BIG DEALS IN U.S. TRADE MISSION PRIORITY:
North American Business Report
DATE:  April 21, 1994   10:58 E.T.  WORD COUNT: 00248
 BEIJING (Reuter) - A Chinese trade and investment mission to the
United States will return home with signed contracts worth over $11
billion, the official Xinhau news agency said on Thursday.
 The 200-member mission arrived in the United States two weeks ago as
part of China's efforts to obtain renewal of most favored nation
trading status from U.S. President Bill Clinton. The United States has
made MFN renewal conditional on an improvement in China's human rights
record.

CHINA BUYS 800,000 TONNES OF US SUBSIDIZED WHEAT
DATELINE: WASHINGTON  PRIORITY: Rush  WORD COUNT: 0222
Agence France Presse English Wire       DATE: April 19, 1994  16:45 GMT
China  has  bought  nearly 800,000 tonnes of US subsidized wheat, its
first purchase  of  US  grain  since  January,  the  Agriculture
Department said Tuesday.  The  order of 798,175 tonnes of red winter
wheat includes 400,000 tonnes of the soft variety and 398,175 of hard
wheat.  Traders'  hopes  that China would return to the US grain market
were raised after  Chinese  agricultural officials visited Washington
last week. Rumors that  China  had  offered  to  buy  800,000  tons  of
subsidized wheat were circulating in Chicago Monday.  The  last
Chinese  purchase,  on January 5, totaled 815,000 tonnes and was
subsidized at 65.61 dollars a tonne.  Negotiators  had  predicted  a
Chinese  purchase  before June, when the US administration will decide
whether to renew China's favored trading status.  The  Agriculture
Department will provide an average subsidy of 47 dollars a tonne under
the Export Enhancement Program (EEP).  Three   exporters   will
deliver  the  wheat  between  July  and  October:  Continental
Grain,   400,000  tonnes;  Tradigrain,  363,175  tonnes;  and
Mitsubishi International, 35,000 tonnes.  Under  an  allotment granted
in June 1993, China has a remaining balance of 3,118,705 tonnes of US
wheat subsidized at 5.54 dollars a tonne.

========================================================================
CHINA MARKET GUIDE: ......................................... 64 lines
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHINA - COMPUTER MARKET OVERVIEW 

04 APR 94

AMEMBASSY BEIJING

SUBJECT:-- CHINESE COMPUTER MARKET CONTINUES
EXPLOSIVE GROWTH, BUT FOREIGN DOMINANCE CAUSES CONCERN

1.  an authoritative newspaper published by the ministry of electronics
industry recently expressed concern over heightened competition from
foreign computer firms. new measures taken by chinese trade authorities
to enter the general agreement on tariffs and trade (gatt) and to
reform macroeconomic policy puts chinese computer companies in a
compromising position, according to the newspaper.

2.  the english language china daily business weekly (27 march,
beijing) also reported that 450,000 personal computers were sold last
year, and that 100,000 of those were sold for personal use - a big jump
from 10 percent to 22 percent for "home" sales over 1992. the article
specified that 25 percent of all chinese pc sales were made by the u.s.
firms compaq and ast, and that foreign brands added together took 51
percent of the chinese market. another significant statistic from the
china daily report: 1,744 mainframes and minicompters were sold in
china in 1993, double the 1992 sales (comment:  computer workstation
and "power pc" sales were not addressed.  pentium and alpha-based pc's
have entered the market and are now available for sale in beijing, end
comment).

3.  although several u.s. computer executives welcome the news of lower
tariff rates, they hesitate to speculate about the exact extent of
decrease and the timing of its implementation.  furthermore, because
the chinese government is usually very meticulous in drafting specific
conditions for tariffs on separate products, it is uncertain just how
wide a scope these measures will cover (i.e. exactly which computer
products can qualify for lower tariffs). however, industry observers
suspect that the dramatic tariff decreases cited in the article will be
put into effect only when china has secured a position in the gatt, and
no sooner.

4.  an unofficial translation of the chinese language article follows.
it is part of a larger article on the computer industry in electronics
international (dated february 21, 1994, p.30). quote:  in order to gain
signatory status in gatt, china has taken the step of lowering customs
and tariff rates. the tariff on imported microcomputers under 32 bytes
has been reduced from 50 percent to 20-30 percent; and the tariff on
computer software has been reduced to 9 percent.  recently,
preparations have been made to further reduce the rate of computer
product tariffs to 10 percent; and value-added tax on imports will be
lowered from 16 percent to 5 percent. large quantities of foreign
computer goods will flood the chinese marketplace. this certainly will
have a major impact on china's computer industry. last year the
country's macroeconomic restructuring caused the computer industry to
receive less and less government support--resulting in great
deficiencies in the funds for production flow, new product development,
and technological reform. this puts the chinese computer industry in a
difficult predicament.  moreover, large numbers of well-known foreign
businesses have successively acted in the capacity of cooperatives and
joint-ventures to gain the upper hand in the chinese marketplace with
their high capability and low prices, further causing the competition
in the marketplace to reach ao highly intense level.  unquote (fcs:
mbrazil)  hallford

========================================================================
*       YOU CAN READ PAST WEEKS NEWSLETTER BY gopher ifcss.org         *
*                    DIRECTORY:  /org/cnlink                           *
*       Trade leads database is localted in [email-masked]           *
*                                                                      *
*         china-link LIST IS MAINTAINED BY [email-masked]          * 
*                                                                      *
*       For other information regarding the club, advertisment,        * 
*       news contribution and trade, please send your e-mail to:       *
*                                                                      *
*                       [email-masked]                           *
*                                                                      *   
*       And define your SUBJECT line as follows:                       *
*                                                                      *
*         TO SUB/UNSUB:                          SUB or UNSUB          *
*         TO CONTRIBUTE/ADVERTISE:               AD or NEWS            *
*         TO INQUIRE INFO OF CHINA-LINK CLUB:    CLUB                  * 
*         TO JOIN THE CHINA-LINK CLUB:           JOIN                  * 
*         TO REQUEST MORE INFORMATION:           QUESTION              *
*         TO HELP ORGARNIZE CLUB:                ORGARNIZE             *
*         TO RETRIEVE FREE IBM-PC SOFTWARES:     SHAREWARES            *
*                                                                      *
*      !! Please also include your name, mailing address,  !!          *
*      !! phone number, fax number & contact person(s)     !!          * 
*      !! in the message body for the CLUB subject.        !!          *
*                                                                      *
*       Donations:  CHINA LINK CLUB                                    *
*                                                                      *
*                   P.O. Box 3180, W. Lafayette, IN 47906, USA         *
*----------------------------------------------------------------------*
========================================================================