Subject: CHINA IMP/EXP NEWS (CN940601)

From: [email-masked] (Cheng Wang)
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 94 00:51:22 CDT

**********************************************************************
 #                                                                    # 
 #       C H I N A     I M P O R T / E X P O R T     N E W S          #
 #       ---------     -------------------------     -------          # 
 #                                                                    #
 #         A BIWEEKLY NEWSLETTER FROM THE CHINA-LINK CLUB             #
 #                                                                    #
 #                   E-mail: [email-masked]                     #
 #                                                                    #
 **********************************************************************

                      June 1  1994     (CN940601) 

CONTENTS                                                           LINES
===========***==========***==========**==========***==========***===========
EDITOR'S NOTES: ................................................ 20 lines

TRADE NEWS DIGEST: ............................................ 277 lines

PROFILES OF PIONEER'S PRACTISE ................................ 131 lines

CHINA MARKET GUIDE: ............................................ 96 lines

RESULTS OF THE LARGEST SURVEY ON CHINA'S MFN TRADE STATUS ...... 89 lines

===========***==========***==========**==========***==========***===========

EDITOR'S NOTES: .............................................. 20 lines

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
FREE COMPUTER SOFTWARE LIBRARIES UPDATED!!!, A DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF EACH
PROGRAM HAS BEEN ADDED.  Please send mail to: [email-masked]

with SUBJECT: SHARE for more info !!

MORE HELPERS NEEDED:

Interested in our adventures, join our organization team of China Link Club!

We need more editors, local coordinators, and advisors from all disciplines.

HELP US TO BUILD A WORLDWIDE TEAM_NET:

If you are living in the following areas, and like to be in our team-net.

Local coordinators needed: NEW YORK, SAN FRANCISCO, LOS ANGELS, CHICAGO,
DALLAS, CANADA, HONG KONG, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, BEIJING, SHANGHAI, GUANGZHOU,
CHENGDU, TAIWAN, KOREA, UK and EUROPE COMMUNITY etc.

Please send mail to: [email-masked] 
			with subject: TEAM     

===========***==========***==========**==========***==========***===========

TRADE NEWS DIGEST: .......................................... 277 lines

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
CLINTON RENEWS CHINA'S MFN TRADE STATUS INDEFINITELY

DATE: May 27, 1994  07:16 E.T.  WORD COUNT: 1045 By Richard Cowan,
Knight-Ridder Financial News)

  Washington--May 26--China will continue to enjoy most-favored- nation
trade status with the US for most of the products it currently ships
here, President Bill Clinton announced today.

  Today, Clinton said MFN status was extended to China indefinitely.
Clinton also announced that he would no longer link China's progress on
human rights to future MFN for China.

  Clinton also said that the US would maintain some existing sanctions
against China, which were imposed after the 1989 political upheaval on
Tiananmen Square.

  Those sanctions include the denial of China's participation in US
trade development programs and the Overseas Private Investment Corp.
programs. It also includes US opposition to World Bank loans outside of
those for basic human needs, according to the White House.

  Clinton speeches about the US economy and its reliance on
international trade sometimes referred to the importance of the
burgeoning Asian markets.

  In 1993, the US exported 8.8 billion dlrs of goods to China, up more
than 18 pct from the prior year, according to US government figures. US
imports from China continued to far outpace exports, however, reaching
31.5 billion dlrs last year, up about 23 pct from 1992.

     ----------- %%%%%%  ---------- %%%%%%%% -------------

FIRMS, CONSUMERS WILL BENEFIT FROM CLINTON MOVE ON CHINA TRADE STATUS 

BY: JEFFREY HOFFMAN PRIORITY: Rush  WORD COUNT: 0822 THE
ASSOCIATED PRESS     DATE: May  27, 1994  00:07 EDT

With MFN, which is extended to most countries, Chinese goods sold in
the United States are subject to tariffs averaging less than 10
percent. Over the past 15 years, that's allowed the two countries to
become key trading partners, providing a windfall in cheap consumer
goods for Americans and making this country China's top export market.

Last year, China exported to the United States $31.53 billion worth of
mostly light-industrial products such as footwear, textiles, toys and
low-end electronics an increase of 23 percent from 1992. American
companies sold $8.77 billion worth of goods to China, up 18 percent.

Clinton's decision Thursday to delink trade and human rights issues
appears to remove permanently the most serious threat to stable
commercial relations between two of the world's biggest economies.

Easing of tensions between the two countries should yield a big
expansion of investment and sales opportunities in China for American
companies, economists and trade experts say.

Even while the MFN question wasn't resolved, U.S. firms last year
signed contracts to invest $6.81 billion in China, more than double the
amount pledged in 1992, reflecting the intense interest in China's
booming economy. Still, America accounts for less than 10 percent of
all foreign investment in China.

China will import $1 trillion worth of capital goods by 2000, Lardy
estimated. ''The U.S. has a chance to capture a significant portion of
that. Exports to China would continue to be our most rapidly growing
market.''

Clinton's decision also is good news for consumers, who will continue
to enjoy low prices for clothing, toys and other goods for which China
the world's low-cost producer has become a key supplier to U.S.
markets.

     ----------- %%%%%%  ---------- %%%%%%%% -------------

JAPAN TRADE EXCEEDS CHINA IN IMPORTANCE, U.S. TRADE OFFICIAL SAYS

DATE: May 28, 1994  22:47 E.T.  WORD COUNT: 551

By Rob Tucker, The Tacoma News Tribune, Wash.  Knight-Ridder/Tribune
Business News

    May 28--While the promise of increased trade with China is big
news, Americans shouldn't lose sight of the importance of U.S.
trade with Japan.

  Japanese trade is important for the United States, but it's vital for
Washington, the third-largest trading state in the nation.

  Trade  with  Japan  far  outstrips  trade with China at both the
ports of Tacoma and Seattle, statistics show. The Port of Tacoma's
two-way trade with Japan was worth  $11.2  billion  in  1993,
compared  with $2.3 billion in trade with China.  Japanese trade is
worth $13.4 billion to the Port of Seattle, compared with $3 billion in
China trade.

  Total  statewide two-way trade with Japan was worth more than $25
billion in 1992, the latest figure available, according to the
Washington Council on International Trade.

  Preparing a site for a U.S. supermarket in Japan costs about $1.5
million and requires 40 permits from 19 agencies, he said.

     ----------- %%%%%%  ---------- %%%%%%%% -------------

SURVEY: DRIED-VEGETABLE TRADE PASSES BILLION-DOLLAR MARK

DATE: May 26, 1994  17:38 E.T.  WORD COUNT: 325

By John Zarocostas, The Journal of Commerce Knight-Ridder/Tribune
Business News

    GENEVA--May 26--International trade in dehydrated vegetables has
increased  to  more  than  $1  billion  annually  and is forecast to
expand further, an industry survey said.

  The report, "Dehydrated Vegetables: A Survey of Major Markets,"
published  by  the  International  Trade  Center  in Geneva, concluded
that export competitiveness in this product line will be dependent on
the ability of producers to supply high-quality products to meet
importers' stringent requirements.

  Products in the ITC study included dried (excluding legume-type
vegetables) either whole, cut, sliced, broken or in powder form, which
are dehydrated mainly through hot air or freeze methods.

  In 1992, Western nations accounted for almost 71 percent of total
imports and developing nations for 29 percent.

The largest market was Japan, with imports valued at $208.4 million,
followed by Hong Kong, $171.2 million; Germany, $107.8 million, and the
United States, with $96 million.

  Dehydrated onions, tomatoes, mushrooms and truffles, garlic, carrots,
sweet corn, and potatoes are the principal import items.

  On the export side, China is the leading supplier with $383 million,
and in second place the United States, with exports valued at $104
million, and Taiwan in third place, with $58 million.

  Japan and Hong Kong are the destination for more than two-thirds of
China's dehydrated exports, while for U.S. products the key markets are
Canada, western Europe, Australia, and Japan.

  The survey said other dehydrated products such as cabbage, celery,
spinach, asparagus, broccoli and horseradish should be able to find
niche markets.
     
        ----------- %%%%%%  ---------- %%%%%%%% -------------

CHINA SEEKS TO BUY MORE MALAYSIAN GOODS, INCLUDING PALM OIL, CRUDE

DATE: May 24, 1994  04:56 E.T.  WORD COUNT: 220
NIKKEI News

  Kuala Lumpur--May 24--China wants to purchase more goods from
Malaysia, especially commodities like processed palm oil, crude oil and
food products, Gan Ziyu, vice chairman of China's State Planning
Commission, said today.

  Gan said China's exports to Malaysia in 1993 increased 21 pct over
1992. Imports from Malaysia rose by 30 pct.

  Malaysia's exports of processed palm oil, crude oil, natural rubber
and cocoa, among other commodities, made up 78 pct of total exports to
China in the period, he added.

  China imported about 1 million tonnes of palm oil in 1992 and in 1.2
million tonnes in 1993, Chua said, adding he expects the figure to
reach 2 million tonnes by the year 2000.

  In 1993, China was Malaysia's 10th-largest trading partner,
accounting for 2.5 pct of Malaysia's total world trade.

  Malaysian exports to China in 1993 amounted to 1.19 billion dlrs,
while imports stood at 1.08 billion dlrs.

        ----------- %%%%%%  ---------- %%%%%%%% -------------

U.S. GOODS, SERVICES TRADES SET HIGHS IN MARCH

DATE: May 20, 1994  18:28 E.T.  WORD COUNT: 758

By Richard Lawrence, The Journal of Commerce Knight-Ridder/Tribune
Business News

    WASHINGTON--May 20--U.S. goods and services trades hit record highs
in March, but the country's big international payments deficit
declined only modestly, the Commerce Department reported Thursday.

  U.S. merchandise exports, adjusted for seasonal changes, soared to
slightly less than $43 billion, up $4.8 billion from February, the
biggest month-to-month gain ever. They topped the previous monthly
high, set in December, by $735 million.

  Merchandise imports surged nearly $3 billion to $53.1 billion,
exceeding by more than $2 billion the previous high in October,
Commerce said.

  The resulting $10.1 billion deficit was down almost $1.9 billion from
February's record deficit, which put the merchandise deficit for the
first three  months  this  year at $32.3 billion, almost one-fourth
higher than a year earlier.

  U.S. services trade - both exports and imports - also reached monthly
highs, though the advances from February levels were relatively small.
The U.S. services surplus in March, which includes some double counting
of U.S.  military exports, was $4.6 billion, far short of a record
level.

  In combined goods and services trade, Commerce said, the United
States incurred a $7.4 billion deficit, down $1.7 billion from
February.  Nonetheless,  the  U.S.  goods and services deficit in the
first quarter of this year was $23.2 billion, about two-thirds higher
than a year earlier.

  The March export gains were exceptionally broad-based, both
regionally and  in  product  sectors.  Exports  were  at  record
levels in capital and consumer goods and industrial supplies, Commerce
reported. The largest increase from February,   however,   came  in
non-monetary  gold  shipments,  apparently reflecting recent foreign
exchange market turbulence.

  Other items heading the export advance were civilian aircraft,
rebounding after   a   February  decline,  along  with
telecommunications  equipment, automotive products and industrial
engines.

  The overall export gain, analysts suggested, reflected several
factors- an  incipient  economic  recovery  in  Western  Europe and
Japan, a cheaper dollar and the trade-promoting impact of the recently
implemented North American Free Trade Agreement. In March, trade with
Canada and Mexico hit record highs, in exports as well as imports.

  Better weather may have been a factor, too, in the export surge.
Unusually bad weather last winter apparently delayed some shipments
into March, an analyst said.

  The U.S. export expansion, said Willard Workman, the U.S. Chamber of
Commerce's international vice president, partly reflects a "pay back"
from the "streamlining and downsizing" that many U.S. firms have
carried out in recent  years.  Both  quality  and price are helping
bolster U.S. sales, he said.

  Two-way trade with Japan also reached a new high in March as U.S.
exports hit $4.8 billion.

  But U.S. imports from Japan soared to $10.6 billion, boosting the
merchandise trade deficit with Japan in March to $5.8 billion. Through
the first three months this year, the U.S. deficit with Japan totaled
$15 billion, up $1.7 billion from a year earlier.

  These latest trade figures were expected to help keep pressure here
on Japan to open its markets wider to U.S. and foreign goods and
services.

  A strong U.S. economy was generally cited as the underlying reason
for the big March import surge. Commerce reported record imports in
nearly all broad product categories, from industrial supplies to
capital goods, while consumer product imports were at near record
levels.

  Automotive products, up $799 million from February, led the import
advance. Other relatively big gains were scored in civilian aircraft
and engines, crude oil and apparel.

  Although the U.S. trade deficit with Japan rose in March, the United
States posted a $402 billion surplus with the 12-nation European Union,
the biggest since last September. The surplus with Mexico swelled to
$166 million,  while  the  deficit  with  Canada  was  whittled to $594
million.  Two-way trade with China fell in March, and so did the U.S.
deficit with China to $1.4 billion.

  U.S. services exports, Commerce said, totaled $16.1 billion in March,
largely reflecting bigger transport and other travel-related receipts.
Services  imports,  at $11.6 billion, also rose because of higher
transport and other travel receipts.

===========***==========***==========**==========***==========***===========

PROFILES OF PIONEER'S PRACTISE ................................ 131 lines

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

EDITOR'S NOTES: In this special column, we selectively publish some profiles
of student entrepreneurs. If you have a business or you know a story that you
want to share with our club members.           Please submit to us.
Next issue, we will introduce several student operated newspapers in USA. 
============================================================================

INTERNATIONAL MARKETS CREATING OPPORTUNITIES FOR U.S. SMALL BUSINESS

DATE: May 18, 1994 
By Sherri Eng, San Jose Mercury News, Calif.  Knight-Ridder/Tribune
Business News

    May 18--After he received a doctorate from Stanford University in
1992, Young Liu knew he wanted to start his own business. But not
at home. As a dissident  and  participant  in the 1989 pro-democracy
movement in Beijing, Liu was unwelcome in his homeland.

  So, he took his highly marketable skills - fluency in English and
Chinese, training in mechanical engineering and sociology and
familiarity with American and Chinese cultures - and in January 1993,
founded CATE Development Inc., a consulting firm that fosters trade
between U.S. and Chinese companies.

  So far, Mountain View-based CATE Development - which stands for
Chinese American  Technology  Enterprise  -  has  helped  a  vintner
and a software company export their products to China. Liu has also
facilitated the joint ventures of two U.S. high-tech firms with Chinese
companies.

  "There are big opportunities in China," said Liu, a native ofJiangxi
province  in  south  central  China.  "China  is changing, and it is a
huge market with over a billion people there."

  The world economy is evolving rapidly: Formerly closed markets like
those in China, Russia and Vietnam are moving toward a free market
economy, while Mexico and other Latin American countries are opening up
their borders.

  Because of their proximity to the Pacific Rim and Latin America and
their marketable supply of high-tech products, businesses in Silicon
Valley are well-positioned to take advantage of international trade
opportunities.

  More than 2,500 small and large Silicon Valley firms export; yet that
represents only a fraction of the companies that could sell their
products overseas, said Dan Aloot from the Small Business Institute in
San Jose.

  "The world is changing, it's going global," said David Lam, president
and CEO of Expert Edge. "I can't afford not to go global. It's not a
choice or a luxury; it's a necessity."

  Lam's Palo Alto-based software company began shipping products in
1992 and posted $2 million in revenues in 1993, with 30 percent of
that coming from sales overseas.

  "If companies wait to become bigger before they begin expanding
overseas, those markets may no longer be open to them," Lam said. "They
must take advantage of opportunities now, or competitors will take
their place."

  Liu started his enterprise on $20,000 in personal savings a year ago.
He now has 10 employees overseas and three in the States.

  His greatest challenge, he said, is convincing American companies
that they  will not be abetting the Chinese government's human rights
violations by doing  business  with firms in China. Many small Chinese
businesses are not run by  the  central government, Liu said, and they
have very little to do with the country's politics. Liu argued that as
Chinese companies gain economic freedom, political freedom will
follow.

  Besides, the decision to go overseas, Liu said, should be one of
economics, of survival.

  "The American market is saturated, and there's not much space for
small companies  here,  especially  for those in the service
industry," said Liu, who studied  engineering  at  Beijing  University
before  earning  a  Ph.D. in sociology at Stanford University.

  Some small-business experts said that minority-owned businesses may
find particular success in international trade. Many minorities -
particularly immigrants - have a better understanding of cultural
nuances, which play important roles in business dealings.

  "In Asia, business people spend more time developing relationships,"
said the Small Business Institute's Aloot, who offers entrepreneurship
training in San Jose. "Business deals are made based on relationships -
knowing somebody, having their respect and more importantly, their
trust.

  "A lot of minorities understand the culture, the language and the
manner in which to deal with people."

  But, said Lam, that shouldn't keep people who are not from those
areas from going there.

"I would like to go to Europe," Lam said. "I'm not European, but
that's not going to stop me; I would just bring in people who are
knowledgeable to work for me."

  Take, for example, Rick Keefhaver, who set up the NAFTA Resource
Center, a Palo Alto-based consulting firm that helps U.S. companies
set up offices and establish business relationships in Mexico.
Keefhaver brought in Miguel Bosch, a Mexican citizen who is fluent in
English and Spanish, to head the company's operations in Mexico City.

  However, going overseas immediately may not be the best route for
every start-up, some advisers said. Testing your product firstat home
and then creating  a  market  abroad  is less risky, said Endel Kallas,
who counsels small businesses as a member of the Service Corps of
Retired Executives.

  "The mechanics of exporting is not difficult, anybody can learn that
easily," Kallas said. "But you have to have a product that is
acceptable overseas."

  Lam agreed.

"If you cannot serve the customers in your own back yard, how can you
serve customers 10,000 miles away?" he asked. Lam, who is also chairman
of Joint Venture: Silicon Valley Network's Global Trading Center, which
helps small businesses export, warned that small companies must do
their homework before venturing into an international market. Doing
business overseas is costly, Lam said, and a small company should not
waste its resources before a thorough analysis of the market has been
conducted.

  "In Asia, every country is different, and every market is different,"
Lam said. "Small businesses have to make the right decisions about
where to go, because it's not possible to go everywhere."

===========***==========***==========**==========***==========***===========

CHINA MARKET GUIDE: ......................................... 96 lines

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
SPECIAL REPOST:

Most Favored Nation Status and China: 
An Economic Analysis of Linkage..................Phillip C. Saunders

(Source): Chinese Community Forum (CCF) (Issue No. 9425, Weekend Edition)
============================================================================
 1. Defining MFN
 2. The Volume of Sino-U.S. Trade and Its Measurement
 3. The Impact of Non-Renewal of MFN to China's Economy
 4. The Impact of Non-Renewal of MFN to the U.S. Economy
 5. Selective Sanctions
 6. Results of Linking MFN With Human Rights
 7. Conclusion

============================================================================
Editor's Notes: Due to the space of our newsletter, we can only include section
2 in our newsletter. For full articles, please check with CCF.
============================================================================

2. THE VOLUME OF SINO-U.S. TRADE AND ITS MEASUREMENT

A variety of methodological issues arise when analyzing Sino-U.S. trade.
The first and most important is "Whose figures should be used?"  Chinese and
U.S. official Customs figures each show that their country is running a
trade deficit in bilateral trade!

 U.S. China Trade (PRC Customs Statistics, Billions of U.S. Dollars)(10)
============================================================================
                       1987   1988   1989    1990    1991    1992
Chinese Exports        3.00   3.40   4.40    5.20   6.159   8.594
Chinese Imports        4.80   6.60   7.90    6.60   8.008   8.900
Chinese Trade Deficit -1.80  -3.20  -3.50   -1.40  -1.849   -.306
============================================================================

 U.S. China Trade (U.S. Customs Statistics, Billions of U.S. Dollars)(11)
============================================================================
                       1987   1988   1989    1990    1991    1992    1993
U.S. Exports          3.497  5.021  5.755   4.806   6.278   7.418   8.760
U.S. Imports          6.293  8.511 11.990  15.237  18.969  25.728  31.530
U.S. Trade Deficit   -2.796 -3.490 -6.235 -10.431 -12.691 -18.310 -22.770
============================================================================

Both countries calculate exports based on FOB (free on board) and imports on
CIF (cost, insurance, and freight), resulting in a 10-15 percent discrepancy
in figures.  The largest difference lies in transshipment of goods through
Hong Kong.  The United States considers Chinese goods shipped through Hong
Kong to be Chinese exports, even if value was added there, but considers
American goods shipped through Hong Kong to China to be exports to Hong
Kong.  Conversely, China considers most American goods shipped through Hong
Kong to be imports from the United States and Chinese goods shipped to the
United States through Hong Kong to be exports to Hong Kong.(12)  In 1990,
for example, the discrepancy between U.S. and Chinese figures for Chinese
exports to the United States was $10.037 billion, a figure that closely
corresponds with official Hong Kong figures of $10.500 billion of Chinese
goods re-exported to the United States.(13)  Since approximately 70 percent
of Chinese exports to the United States are transshipped through Hong Kong,
this is the largest source of the discrepancy between trade figures and a
reason to prefer U.S. figures.(14)

Some analysts argue that the rapid growth of direct investment from Hong
Kong and Taiwan and the transfer of production facilities to the mainland
make U.S. trade balances with "Greater China" a better measure of the true
trade deficit.(15)  Chinese officials estimate that 36 percent of Hong
Kong's industry has moved across the border to Guangdong province.(16)

  U.S. Trade with Greater China (U.S. Customs Statistics, $US Millions)
============================================================================
                                1987    1988    1989    1990    1991    1992
U.S. Expts. to Greater China  14.893  22.837  23.381  23.114  27.597  31.745
U.S. Impts. fr Greater China  40.769  43.463  46.025  47.525  51.271  60.117
U.S. Trade Deficit           -25.876 -20.626 -22.644 -24.411 -23.674 -28.372
============================================================================

This table indicates that the U.S. trade deficit with Greater China has not
increased dramatically over the last five years.  However this is because
U.S. exports to Hong Kong and Taiwan have increased fast enough to cover
most of the dramatic expansion in imports from China.  (U.S. imports from
Hong Kong and Taiwan declined slightly over this period). This aggregation
of data hides the fact that Chinese import restrictions have limited the
increase in U.S. exports to China, a relevant factor in the bilateral trade
relationship.  Moreover, the loss of MFN status would only affect
Chinese-origin goods, making trade with China the appropriate measurement.
The remainder of this paper will use U.S. customs figures.

[Copyright Phillip Saunders 1994. <[email-masked]>]

===========***==========***==========**==========***==========***===========

RESULTS OF THE LARGEST SURVEY ON CHINA'S MFN TRADE STATUS ...... 89 lines

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
>From April 24, 1994, to May 11, 1994, We conducted a survey on the issue of
China's Most Favored Nation (MFN) trade status among Chinese students and 
scholars coming from mainland China. 

Signed by

Dr. Shuguang Hong	Amy Zhang		Changqing Yang
College of Business	Pennsylvania State	Department of Chemistry
  Administration	  University		University of Massachusetts
Georgia State		(814)865-4553		Amherst, MA 01003-4510
  University		[email-masked]	(413)545-6082
Atlanta, GA 30302-4015				[email-masked]
(404)651-3887
[email-masked]

==========================================================================
			Survey Result
		Total Valid Responses: 818

(1) President Clinton should NOT link the human right issue with the MFN issue. 
(Check only one box)

	 opinion		# of		% of
			   responses	total responses
	----------------------------------------------------------------
	Strongly agree		590		72.13%
	Agree			133		16.26%
	Neutral			 27		 3.30%
	Disagree		 32		 3.91%
	Strongly disagree	 35		 4.28%

(2) Linking the human right issue with the trade issue will NOT help China 
improve her human right record. (Check only one box)

	 opinion		# of		% of
			   responses	total responses
	------------------------------------------------

	Strongly agree		467		57.09%
	Agree			208		25.43%
	Neutral			 61	 	 7.45%
	Disagree		 46		 5.62%
	Strongly disagree	 31		 3.79%

(3)  President Clinton should unconditionally renew China's MFN trade status. 
(Check only one box)

	 opinion		# of		% of
			   responses	total responses
	-------------------------------------------------

	Strongly agree		578		70.66%
	Agree			121		14.79%
	Neutral			 35		 4.28%
	Disagree		 54		 6.60%
	Strongly disagree	 28		 3.42%

(4) Economically, discontinuation of China's MFN trade status would hurt: (May 
check multiple boxes)

	 opinion				# of    % of
					   responses	total responses
	----------------------------------------------------------------------
	Chinese state owned enterprises		573	70.05%
	Chinese private owned enterprises	665	81.30%
	Chinese government officials		211	25.80%
	Ordinary Chinese people			734	89.73%
	American business			703	85.94%
	Ordinary American people		584	71.39%
	None of the above			  6	 0.73%

(5) Among all those groups in question (4), which single group do you think 
would be hurt the most?

	 opinion				# of    % of
					   responses	total responses
	----------------------------------------------------------------------
	Chinese state owned enterprises		 59	 7.20%
	Chinese private owned enterprises	148	18.09%
	Chinese government officials		 20	 2.44%
	Ordinary Chinese people			474	57.95%
	American business			 81	 9.90%
	Ordinary American people		 43	 5.26%
	None of the above			  2	 0.24%

========================================================================

******* CHINA LINK CLUB *** CHINA LINK CLUB *** CHINA LINK CLUB ******** 
*                                                                      *
C                                                                      C
*    For more information and related materials of CHINA LINK CLUB     *
H 		     Please send your e-mail to                        H 
*                                                                      * 
I                       [email-masked]                           I
*                                                                      *   
N       And define your SUBJECT line in the mail as follows:           N  
*                                                                      *
A         TO BE THE TEAM OF CHINA-LINK CLUB:     TEAM                  A
*         TO SUB/UNSUB TO CIEN:                  SUB or UNSUB          *
*         TO GET GENERAL HELP:                   HELP                  *
L         TO CONTRIBUTE NEWS:                    NEWS                  L
*         TO ADVERTISE OF YOUR BUSINESS:         ADV                   *
I         TO INQUIRE INFO OF CHINA-LINK CLUB:    CLUB                  I 
*         TO JOIN THE CHINA-LINK CLUB:           JOIN                  * 
N         TO READ BACK ISSUES OF CIEN            BACK                  N
*         TO RETRIEVE WORLD TRADE LEADS:         WTC                   *
K         TO JOIN YELLOW PAGES:                  YELLOW                K
*         TO REQUEST OTHER UNDEFINED:            QUESTION              *
*         TO RETRIEVE FREE IBM-PC SOFTWARES:     SHAREWARES            *
C                                                                      C
*              FAX:  317-743-5299                                      *
L      POSTAL MAIL:  CHINA LINK CLUB                                   L
*                    P.O. Box 3180, W. Lafayette, IN 47906, USA        *
U            E-MAIL: [email-masked]                              U
*                                                                      *
B                                                                      B
******* CHINA LINK CLUB *** CHINA LINK CLUB *** CHINA LINK CLUB ********