Subject: CHINA IMP/EXP NEWS (CN940615)

From: [email-masked] (Cheng Wang)
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 94 23:22:49 CDT

**********************************************************************
 #                                                                    # 
 #       C H I N A     I M P O R T / E X P O R T     N E W S          #
 #       ---------     -------------------------     -------          # 
 #                                                                    #
 #         A BIWEEKLY NEWSLETTER FROM THE CHINA-LINK CLUB             #
 #                                                                    #
 #                   E-mail: [email-masked]                     #
 #                                                                    #
 **********************************************************************

                    JUNE 15  1994     (CN940615) 

CONTENTS                                                           LINES
========================================================================

EDITOR'S NOTES: .............................................. 77 lines

LOOKING AT CHINA ............................................ 462 lines

PROFILES OF PIONEER'S PRACTISE ............................... 60 lines

CHINA MARKET ................................................ 218 lines

========================================================================
EDITOR'S NOTES: .............................................. 77 lines

UPDATED INFORMATION ABOUT IMPORTER/EXPORTER AND COMPANIES IN US, CHINA, 
TAIWAN, HONG KONG and MACAO ..............................

 GOOD NEWS FOR ALL NETTERS:
	NEW BOOK:  <<SINO-U.S. TRADING ALMANAC 1994>>

%%The first trade encyclopedic book published in the Sino-US history 
and a must-have refernce on every desk of business personals. %%%%%%

*** A huge bilingual (English and Chinese) trading reference.
*** A set of 4 volumes (4000 pages (A4 size))
       	Vol I:   U. S. Importer/exporter and companies
       	Vol II:  China (Mainland) Importer/Exporter and Companies
       	Vol III: Taiwan Importer/Exporter and companies
       	Vol V:   Hong Kong and Macao Importer/Exporter and Companies

*** Classified listings of 42,000 importer/exporter and companies
       	Vol I:   12,000 U.S. Importer/Exporter
       	Vol II:  12,000 China Importer/exporter
	Vol III: 10,000 Taiwan Importer/Exporter
	Vol V:    8,000 Hong Kong & Macao Importer/Exporter

*** Business listing includes:
	Company name
	Postal address
	Excutive officials
	Phone number
	Fax number
	Scope of business
	Co-operation intention

THE BOOK ALSO CONTAINS TWO SUPPLYMENTS FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS.

*** A best introduction & tutorial book for new explorers
	The ABC of international trade
		International trade
 		Essence of international trade
		International finance
		World market analysis and forecasting

*** A unbeatable most complete reference for all veterans
	Information about the economic and trading realities of US, China,
	  Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao. (Each volume contains a detailed part)
		General overview on the economy and trade
		Economic and trade organizations
		Politics, law and newly regulation on foreign trade
		Foreign trade management and control
		Foreign trade zones and open zones
		Investment and investment environments

Published in New York ( First edition 1994 ) by SINO-US Information, INC
Price/per 4 volume: $ 280.00 (including shipping & handling to US and China)

For detailed table of contents of each volume, please send e-mail to

[email-masked]   with SUBJECT: ALMANAC

#########   Exclusive offers for China Link Club: ###########

Chine Link Club appreciates SINO-US information INC to provide us this
limited time offers to our members. China Link Club hereby is authorized
for the exclusive online promotion rights by SINO-US information, INC.

$$ Any orders before: AUG. 10, 1994 will be discounted at $180.00/per 4 vol.
$$ Any orders before: OCT. 10, 1994 will be discounted at $230.00/per 4 vol.
$$ Any orders before: DEC. 30, 1994 will be discounted at $280.00/per 4 vol.

Please be advised that you must be in China Link Club mailing list to
get this special pricing. The promotion is exclusive to China Link Club.
Club will consoliate the orders. Books are shipped via UPS second day 
delivery from SINO-US info. as soon as China Link Club received your order.

Fund must be drawn in US dollar on a US bank.(Bank checks and money orders)
Oversea's shippings are charged seperately, please send inquires first.
e-mail to : [email-masked]   with SUBJECT: INQUIRE 

Please make your check and money order payable to: CHINA LINK CLUB
and mail to: P. O. Box 3180, West Lafayette, IN 47906-0583

(Allow 3 weeks to clear a personal check before shipping)

*********** SUPPORT OUR CLUB, ORDER THE BOOK NOW ******************

=======***==========***==========**==========***==========***===========
LOOKING AT CHINA ............................................ 462 lines
========================================================================

REPORT CALLS CHINA THE KEY TO GROWTH IN PACIFIC RIM

DATE: June 8, 1994  18:34 E.T.  WORD COUNT: 450
By Richard Lawrence, The Journal of Commerce

    WASHINGTON--Jun.  8--China  has replaced the United States and
Japan as the Pacific region's principal "engine" for economic
growth, a report released Tuesday by the Pacific Economic Cooperation
Council suggests.

  The council, in its latest annual forecast for 18 Pacific Rim
economies, said that China, despite a projected slowdown, will
continue pacing the Pacific pack. The report predicted a 10 percent
Chinese growth rate this year,  compared  to last year's 13.4 percent.
A further slowing is forecast for next year to 8.2 percent.

  The region as a whole will grow by 4.2 percent both this year and
next, up from last year's 3.8 percent rate, and the growth will be
more balanced, the report suggested. Some recent low-growth countries,
such as Japan, Canada, the Philippines and Mexico, will pick up this
year and next, while some relatively "hot" economies, including
Singapore, Chile and Peru, will cool down somewhat, it said.

  Malaysia and Thailand, two of the fastest-growing economies, will
post economic gains both this year and next of 8 percent or more, it
said. In 1995,   Thailand   is   expected   to   vie  with  China  as
the  region's fastest-growing economic market.

  The council, comprising government officials, business leaders and
educators  from  21  Pacific  countries,  has been issuing annual
forecasts since 1989. Its five previous forecasts, it said, "have come
within a half percentage point of predicting actual growth within the
region."

  Not only does the council report project faster growth this year for
the region  but  also  lower  inflation - an average 3.5 percent
rate, compared with last  year's  4 percent. Next year, inflation will
edge up only slightly to 3.8 percent, the report said.

  Only five Pacific Rim countries - China, the Philippines, Chile,
Colombia and Peru - will incur double-digit inflation this year, but
the Chinese and Philippine  rates  are  estimated  at  just  about  10
percent.  These two countries are expected to reduce inflation next
year to under 10 percent.

  The region's economic growth, the council said, is all the more
astonishing  because  of  recent downturns in Japan and Europe. The
answer, said Lawrence Krause, a University of California professor who
coordinated the council's report, is that China has become the
Pacific's "principal" growth engine.

  China's imports have risen by more than 25 percent a year over the
past two  years,  a  growing  share  coming from such countries as
Australia and South Korea. China's growth, he noted, is "driven by
domestic investment which spills over directly and indirectly into the
rest of the region."

     --------  *******    -------   *******  ---------
  
GERMAN INDUSTRY URGES EU TO LIFT IMPORT RESTRICTIONS ON CHINA

DATE: June 08, 1994  08:44 E.T.  WORD COUNT: 243
By Conny Lotze, Knight-Ridder Financial News, Knight-Ridder

  Bonn--Jun 8--German industry today urged the European Union to ease
import restrictions on Chinese consumer goods, saying the barrier was
endangering German exports.

The German Chamber of Industry and Commerce (DIHT), the Federation of
German Industry (BDI), the Federation of Wholesale and Trade (BGA) and
the Trade Association of German Retailers (AVE) said they were
disappointed that talks between the EU and China ended in failure.

  Germany imported Chinese goods worth 10 billion Deutschemarks in the
first 9 months of 1993. It exported goods worth 7 billion marks to
China in the same period.  End

     --------  *******    -------   *******  ---------

CHINA REGISTERS TRADE DEFICIT OF 1.79 BILLION US DLRS IN JAN-MAY

DATE: June 09, 1994  22:37 E.T.  WORD COUNT: 127
Knight-Ridder

  Hong Kong--Jun 10--China registered a trade deficit of 1.79 billion
US dlrs in the Jan-May period, the official China Daily newspaper
reported today.

  Total trade volume in Jan-May was valued at 76.77 billion dlrs, a
21.1 pct increase over the same period last year. Imports in Jan-May
rose 18.1 pct year-on-year to 39.28 billion dlrs, while exports
increased 24.1 pct to 37.49 billion, the report said.

  Despite the continued deficit, officials from the General
Administration of Customs said China's attempts to reform the foreign
trade system were "paying off."

  Exports of clothing, textiles, machinery, electronic products and
other manufactured goods all rose sharply in Jan-May, it said.

     --------  *******    -------   *******  ---------

CHINA URGES JAPAN TO AVOID UNILATERAL CURB ON TEXTILES

DATE: June 3, 1994  22:32 E.T.  WORD COUNT: 198
The Journal of Commerce, Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News

    TOKYO--Jun.  3--Chinese  Foreign  Trade  and  Economic  Minister
Wu Yi Thursday asked Japan to exercise prudence in taking a
unilateral measure to curb textile imports from China.

  The rules are designed to protect the Japanese textile industry from
possible damage following massive textile imports, especially from
China.

  The remark hints at Beijing's willingness to introduce a voluntary
curb on textile exports to Japan in order to prevent Japanese
invocation of the safeguard measure.

     --------  *******    -------   *******  ---------

CHINA, AUSTRALIA TO EXPAND TRADE AND INVESTMENT TIES

DATE: June 3, 1994  18:20 E.T.
By P.T. Bangsberg, The Journal of Commerce Knight-Ridder/Tribune
Business News

  China, seeking to reduce reliance on the United States and Western
Europe,  and  Australia,  looking  to  increase its role in Asia, have
been moving closer in recent times.

  Two-way trade, while still small, has increased rapidly. In 1993, the
volume was a record US$3 billion, up 29 percent on the previous year,
according to Chinese figures.

  Australia's statistical bureau puts the volume in 1993 at A$4.8
billion (US$3.5 billion), an increase of 40.5 percent over 1992. It
reckons imports from China grew 29 percent to A$2.55 billion and
exports to China 55.7 percent  to  A$2.27 billion, making China its
sixth-largest trading partner and Australia No. 10 among China's.

  Trade is forecast to top A$6 billion in 1994 and A$10 billion by the
end of this century.

  Closer integration of mineral, agricultural and raw materials
processing sectors.

  Australia mainly exports wheat, barley, wool, sugar, iron ore and
aluminum. Among finished products are telecommunications and
agricultural technology and power systems and a range of services in
transportation, navigation, port construction, food processing,
paper-making and environmental protection.

  China exports clothes, machinery equipment, light industrial
products, chemical products, household electrical appliances,
instruments and foods.

  Australian investments in China cover iron and steel casting,
telecommunications, food processing, textiles and garments, optical
instruments, sanitary products, sports equipment, plastics, shoes,
transportation, broadcasting, law, accounting and computer programs.

     --------  *******    -------   *******  ---------

GATT MEMBERSHIP FOR CHINA MEANS FLOOD OF SERVICE IMPORTS, U.S. SAYS

DATE: June 1, 1994  18:22 E.T.  WORD COUNT: 457
By Milan Ruzicka, The Journal of Commerce 

    NEW YORK--Jun. 1--China's accession to the General Agreement on
Tariffs and Trade is likely to make the country a major net
importer of cheaper and better services from the West, according to
U.S. officials.

  Citing Chinese economists, the U.S. Department of Commerce said in a
recent dispatch from Beijing that the influx of higher-quality,
lower-cost services from the West "will pose a threat to China's
international balance of payments" and put a squeeze on domestic
service sectors, such as banking and telecommunications.

  The report said the service sector remains the weakest segment of
China's economy,  accounting  for  a  much  smaller  portion  of its
gross domestic product than the average level in other developing
countries.

  A founding member of GATT, China has been been trying to rejoin the
world trade  body  since  1986,  but  negotiations  over  the  terms
of accession continue to drag on.

  In the latest pronouncement on the issue, GATT Secretary General
Peter Sutherland  said  after  meeting  senior  China officials in
early May that major hurdles remain.

  "We are very anxious that the negotiation process should be pursued
speedily, constructively and with a view to finding solutions to any
difficulties that may remain," he said.

  But U.S. officials have said it is unlikely the outstanding issues
will be resolved by the end of this year in time for China to become
a charter member of the GATT successor body, the World Trade
Organization.

  The Commerce report said poor transportation, financial services and
telecommunications pose one of the biggest challenges to China's
economic development.

  Quoting Vice Minister of Labor Zhu Jiazhen, Commerce said Beijing
sees the  development  of  the  service  sector  as a major tool in
tackling the growing urban  unemployment.  "One  of  the best ways to
control unemployment is to give full play to the service industries
irrespective of their ownership," Jiazhen was quoted as saying.

  Commerce said Shanghai, China's leading commercial center, has
designated six  service  industries  a top priority in its
development plans. Included are banking and financial services,
insurance, telecommunications, transportation, commerce and trade,
tourism and real estate.

  Commerce said retailing, stimulated by the growing middle-class
population, offered a bright long-term future, as more western chains
enter the market and the sector begins to introduce the most modern
retailing techniques.

  The leading U.S. retailer Walmart is planning to expand into China,
and Amway, the $4.5 billion U.S. direct-sales company, is hoping to
launch its distributorship drive next year.

     --------  *******    -------   *******  ---------

CHINA LASHES OUT AT ''UNFAIR'' U.S. TRADE LAW 
North American Business Report    DATE:  June 11, 1994   23:11 E.T.

 BEIJING (Reuter) - China, promising to boost its imports from the
United States, lashed out Sunday at what it called the unfair U.S. law
against dumping and said it had cost Beijing hundreds of millions of
dollars in exports.

 ''Imports from the United States are set to expand as China's economic
growth remains in the fast lane,'' Ou Huarong of the Ministry of
Foreign Trade and Economic Cooperation told the China Daily Business
Weekly.

 Ou urged the U.S. to relax its controls over high-technology trade so
China could import even more to help balance imports and exports with
Washington.

 At the same time, however, another official from the same ministry
blasted the U.S. law against dumping which he said kept millions of
dollars of Chinese exports out of the United States.

 The anti-dumping law lets Washington take action against exports it
judges are being sold in the United States at an unreasonably cheap
price.

 ''Western nations usually espouse protectionism under the veneer of
protecting fair competition, and the U.S. anti-dumping law against
China is unreasonable and unfair too,'' said Zhou Shijian, deputy
director of the ministry's Institute of International Trade Research.

 Zhou said Chinese goods were cheap because of the low cost of labor
and the lower quality of the goods.

 ''In disregard of this fact, the U.S. usually makes a comparison
between Chinese products and their peers from developed countries
where costs are much higher,'' he said.

 One problem with analyzing U.S.-China trade is the fact that the two
countries use completely different statistics.

 Ou said he did not expect the U.S. deficit with China in 1994 to run
as high as last year's $6 billion.

  Under Washington's statistics, however, the United States bought a
whopping $22.8 billion more from China than it sold -- its second
biggest trade deficit after the one with Japan.

 Most of the difference in statistics comes because the United States
includes Chinese goods transhipped to it through Hong Kong while
Beijing counts those only as exports to the British colony.

 Ou urged the United States not to punish China for allegedly severe
copyright violations, saying Beijing has made efforts to correct the
problem.

 Washington must decide by the end of June if Beijing has made enough
progress.

 Trade sanctions are a possibility if the United States decides China
is still a severe violator of intellectual property rights.

     --------  *******    -------   *******  ---------

RICH NATIONS SEEK TO BUILD BRIDGES WITH CHINA 
Reuter World Service    DATE:  June 8, 1994   13:00 E.T.  BYLINE:
By Myra MacDonald

PARIS, June 8 (Reuter) - Rich industrial nations on Wednesday took a
further step to rebuild bridges with China, but promised to keep a
close eye on the human rights record which has chilled relations with
Beijing for the past five years.

 Ministers at a two-day meeting of the Organisation for Economic
Cooperation and Development, the economic forum for industrialised
democracies, agreed to consider stepping up cooperation with China.

 ''China has become in many respects a leading player in the world
economy,'' the OECD said in a final statement.
 ''Possibilities for dialogue and cooperation will be explored with
China and developed where mutual interests exist,'' it said.

 OECD Secretary-General Jean-Claude Paye told a news conference he
might visit China to discuss possibilities for greater cooperation but
said nothing had yet been fixed.

 The decision marks a new thawing in relations with China,
cold-shouldered by the industrialsed world since the Tiananmen Square
massacre of pro-democracy protesters in 1989.

 But ministers stressed that the OECD would look closely at China's
human rights record before agreeing to any accord, which could be
similar to an OECD agreement signed on Wednesday with Russia to provide
advice on free-market economic reforms.

 ''Obviously in China's case there would have to be a detailed
examination of China's record on human rights. It's a matter of
international concern,'' Irish Foreign Minister Dick Spring, who
jointly chaired the meeting, told a news conference.

 Respect for human rights is one of three criteria the OECD sets for
its members, along with democracy and a free market.

 Separately, European Union Trade Commissioner Leon Brittan said the EU
and the United States had narrowed their differences over how quickly
China should be admitted to the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade
(GATT) world trade body.

 ''The gap has been narrowed,'' he told Reuters, adding however that
''perhaps we have a greater sense of urgency than the U.S.''

 The EU has been pressing for early Chinese membership of GATT, while
Washington, unwilling to make a complete U-turn on its condemnation of
China's human rights record, has resisted bringing Beijing into the
international fold quite so quickly.

 Japan is also pushing for China to join GATT or its successor, the
World Trade Organisation (WTO), shortly.

 ''Considering the importance of China in the world trade market, and
the fact that it is shifting towards a market economy, we think it is
desirable China join the GATT shortly,'' said Nobuo Matsunaga, Japan's
top delegate to the meeting.

 Canadian Trade Minister Roy MacLaren said most countries were looking
to China itself to show it meets GATT membership criteria, including
commitment to a free market trading system.

 ''My impression is that most member states would welcome early
membership of China. But at the same time there is a consensus that
China must meet the terms of GATT,'' he said.

 ''If there is to be an acceleration, it is really up to China
itself,'' he told reporters.

     --------  *******    -------   *******  ---------

CHINA EXPECTS RISE IN TRADE WITH US, FALLING TRADE SURPLUS

DATELINE: BEIJING  PRIORITY: Urgent  WORD COUNT: 0391 Agence France
Presse English Wire       DATE: June 12, 1994  07:52 GMT

China  expects  an increase in Sino-US trade this year but a decline in
its huge trade surplus with the United States, a government official
was quoted Sunday as saying.

"Imports  from  the US are set to expand as China's economic growth
remains in  the  fast  lane,"  said Ou Huarong of the Ministry of
Foreign Trade and Economic Cooperation (MOFTEC).

Two-way  trade will pass the 30-billion-dollar mark, up from the 27
billion dollars  recorded  by  the Chinese government in 1993, Ou told
the official China Daily.

But  with  Chinese  imports  from  the United States rising faster than
its exports in the other direction, Ou predicted China's trade surplus
with the Americans would be less than the six billion dollars China
said it was last year.

The  Americans  have  disputed  both  trade  figures,  saying Sino-US
trade actually  reached 40 billion dollars last year and that China's
surplus was a massive 22 billion dollars.

According  to  MOFTEC,  China sent exports worth 4.9 billion dollars to
the United  States  in the first four months of this year, while taking
imports worth 3.5 billion dollars.

Ou  said  both  countries  would  benefit  from US President Bill
Clinton's decision last month to renew China's Most-Favored-Nation
trading status.

Still,  Ou  called on Washington to lift what he called trade barriers,
and said  the  United  States  could  make  more  sales by relaxing
controls on high-technology  exports  to  China,  which  he  described
as  a "Cold War product."

He  also  called on Washington not to place China on a priority list,
to be published  in  Washington  this  month,  identifying  countries
which have allegedly stolen intellectual property.  "We  don't want to
see a setback in bilateral trade with China being placed on the list,"
he said, adding that China had taken steps to stop the piracy of audio
and video products.

Another  MOFTEC  official,  Zhou  Shijian,  said  in a separate China
Daily report  the  United  States  should  change its anti-dumping law,
as it was costing China "several hundred million dollars."

"Western   nationa  usually  espouse  protectionism  under  the
veneer  of protecting unfair competition, and the US anti-dumping law
against China is unreasonable and unfair too," he said.

     --------  *******    -------   *******  ---------

ASIAN COUNTRIES MUST LEARN TO RELATE TO CHINA

DATELINE: SINGAPORE  PRIORITY: Rush  WORD COUNT: 0248 Agence France
Presse English Wire       DATE: June 02, 1994  13:10 GMT

Asian countries will have to learn to live with China and the
resolution of territorial  claims  on the Spratly islands will cast
light on their future relations with Beijing, an Indonesian expert said
Thursday.

"All  neighbouring  countries  agree that China has a great role to
play in the  future  of  the  region and we will have to learn how to
relate to her soon,"  said  Jusuf Wanandi, chairman of the Supervisory
Board of Jakarta's Centre for Strategic and International Studies.

He  said  that the resolution of claims on the Spratly islands in the
South China  Sea  would  be  an indication of future relations of Asian
countries with China.

The  Spratlys,  which  straddle  important sea lanes and are believed
to be rich  in oil and marine resources, are being claimed in whole or
in part by Brunei, China, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and
Vietnam.

Speaking to foreign correspondents, Wanandi said that it was normal to
look at  China  as  a  "problem"  and  be  worried about how to relate
to such a powerful country.

"But  we  will  have  to  live  with  China  and must therefore
establish a relationship with her that makes all of us comfortable," he
said.

Speaking  also  on  the  continuing  role  of the United States in the
Asia Pacific region, Wanandi said the United States was still the
biggest market in the world despite what critics said about her weak
economy.

========***==========***==========**==========***==========***===========
PROFILES OF PINEER'S PRACTISE ................................  60 lines
=========================================================================
     China Guide is the first weekly newspaper locally published for the 
Chinese community. We have started circulating approximately 20,000
copies every week since late march this year, now it reaches 40,000 copies 
freely distributed and subscribed. With increased international trade 
between China and the U.S., China Guide is a reliable resource for 
many businesses for up-to-date news of China. China Guide covers current 
development in trade, business and economy of China and provides first-hand 
information for readers interested and involved in Sino-US development. 
Presently, fifteen (15) circulation centers in North America are helping 
us to expand our readership. They are: New York, Washington DC, Chicago,
Los Angeles, San Francisco, Torondo and Vancouver, etc. 

    Although there are many Chinese newspaper published here, yet the co-
founders of China Guide, most of them are Ph.D students in US believe in 
their market nitch and their human capital advantage. Three factors are 
claimed to be crucial for the success of this newspaper: (i) Demand of 
information for China is huge. Especially it is true when China will expand 
its role in global activity. (ii) Chinese Huamn capital now sporadically 
spreaded overseas can be organized to serve our goal as being a bridge 
between China and US. (iii) We believe it is a good timing to catch up this 
trend and develop our strategy to let new Chinese generation know China Guide.

    Fortunately, China Guide is successful at least in its first stage. More
than two months 's hard working made China Guide well-known in Los Angeles 
and many other cities in US. China Guide received nearly 3,000 subscribers
and very positive feedbacks from all kinds of readers, subscribed and freely
distributed readers.

    China Guide is a two-channel newspaper. One for China's business news 
and the other for US business news. For example, in its first issue, China 
Guide made a special report on Asia/Pacific Business Annual Meeting. This 
meeting was jointly held by Business School of University of Southern 
California and US department of Commerce. The special report covered US 
businessmen's interest in China, investment opportunity of infrasturcture 
building in China, and Asia business outlook. In other issues, special 
report on Beijing Financial Street, Yingkou economic zone, Hanan trade 
and tourism zoom etc are attractive to readers. Also, activities of foreign 
companies are regularly appeared in our newspaper.

    For the nest issue, we will introduce the real estate in China. 
Actually, the US land is Chinese buyer's target. According to our report, 
there are about US $1 billion invested by mainland Chinese to buy US real
estate recently. We will have a series report on that.

    It is worthwhile of mentioning that Chinese Business Time, a very
popular daily business newspaper, made an agreement with us to cooperate
each other. They provide us business news and commercial news. China's 
Commerce, a Taiwan based magazine, also welcome us to adapt and use 
their business news.

   For subscription and requesting three free smaple issues, please send your 
name and address to following address: 

              China Guide
              425 S San Gabriel Blvd, Suite 103
              San Gabriel, CA 91776
  
===========***==========***==========**==========***==========***========
CHINA MARKET.................................................. 218 lines
=========================================================================
China Showing Increasing Capitalistic Touches
MARGARET SCHERF DATELINE: WASHINGTON 
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS     DATE: June  03, 1994  07:38 EDT

''The arrival of fast-food restaurants such as McDonald's, Pizza Hut
and Chinese fast-food chains such as Fairwoods are boosting demand for
frozen french fries, chicken parts, food ingredients and condiments,''
the study added.

Another sign of growing prosperity and expanding markets for food
imports is the spread of refrigerators, the report said. In 1985, only
7 percent of urban Chinese households had refrigerators; by 1993, the
figure had grown to 53 percent.

Not every aspect of the Chinese agricultural market is following a
Western lead, however.

''The most popular poultry parts are chicken wing tips, paws (foot with
shank attached), and mid joint wings,'' the report said.  ''The
popularity of chicken wings is attributed to Chinese consumer
preference for chewing bones. ... Chicken feet are a popular item in
dim sum.''

The most popular U.S. consumer food exports are poultry meat products,
it said. American snack foods, including fruit and nuts, also are
gaining in popularity. Pistachios are a popular snack item because
their name, Kaixingguo, translates into the Happy Nut, the report
said.  Other best product prospects, based on 1993 U.S. sales of direct
and re-exports from Hong Kong, are ginseng, $29.3 million;
confectionery, $4.3 million; frozen french fries, $1.1 million; edible
beef offal, $5.9 million; fresh vegetables such as iceberg lettuce and
celery, $1.6 million; seafood such as fish roe, crab,and salmon, $29.8
million; condiments and beer.

Emerging products to watch for in the future, the report said, are
fruit juices, canned fruit, ice cream powder, james and jellies, sweet
corn, turkey, chicken franks, pet foods, breakfast cereal and
convenience foods.

     --------  *******    -------   *******  ---------

CHINA ECONOMIC REGION SEES INVESTMENT PLUNGE IN FIRST HALF OF '94

DATE: June 12, 1994  21:55 E.T. 
United Press International

  Beijing--Jun 13--Foreign-financed projects plummeted during the first
5 months of this year in China's flagship economic province, but
government officials predicted an overseas investment boom in the
second half of 1994, the China Daily newspaper said today.

  UK, French, US, Australian and Thai investment increased more than 50
pct in southern Guangdong Province, but projects from Hong Kong, Macao
and Taiwan decreased.

  Guangdong approved 5,464 new foreign-funded projects during the
January to May period, a 33-percent drop from the same period in 1993,
the report said.

  The contract investment value of these projects reached 13.1 billion
US dlrs, down 10 pct.

  Lu Ruihua, Guangdong's executive vice-governor, attributed the
decline to a wait-and-see attitude by overseas firms amid China's
newly-introduced reforms in foreign trade, taxes and land use.

  The provincial government also set up a scale for limiting the amount
of new construction in order to protect farmland.

  Lu said Guangdong's long-term objective is to set up more large
high-tech industrial projects instead of labor-intensive ventures.

  Predicting a foreign investment bonanza in the second half of the
year, Lu said more overseas investors are contacting governments at all
levels.

  To shore up investments, Guangdong plans a fair in Hong Kong Jun 28
to Jly 2 and a similar fair in the US in mid-November.

  The fall in foreign projects did not hamper trade. From January to
May, foreign trade in the province hit 26.7 billion dlrs, up 111 pct;
exports reached 16 billion dlrs, a 118 pct hike; and imports shot up to
10.6 billion dlrs, up 102 pct, official figures showed.

  The province also posted a 15-pct increase in gross domestic product
in the first quarter of 1994.

     --------  *******    -------   *******  ---------

STABLE GOLD PRICE SPURS CHINA TO HOARD
MORE GOLD, ANALYSTS SAY

DATE: June 10, 1994  02:33 E.T.  WORD COUNT: 364
By Hope Ngo, Knight-Ridder Financial News

  Hong Kong--Jun 10--A stable world gold price is encouraging gold
hoarding in China, analysts say.

  Gold prices, per ounce, have stayed within a 20-dlr range this year.
This compares with a range for copper prices of about 600 dlrs a tonne
and a range for aluminum prices of about 250 dlrs a tonne.

  China is currently suffering from the results of high inflation.  In
April, China's consumer prices rose 21.7 pct compared with the same
month in 1993. The inflation rate in China's 35 major cities hit 24.5
pct in March, according to the latest available figures.

  But China's stiff import restrictions are making it difficult for
local buyers to obtain gold overseas.

  Importers must obtain licenses for specific gold items from the
People's Bank of China and from municipal Finance and Trade Office
branches.

  Figures from consultants Gold Fields Mineral Services Ltd. show China
produced 127 tonnes of gold in 1993. Consumption in the form of jewelry
alone totaled 285 tonnes, while overall consumption, including hoarding
of gold bars, was just over 320 tonnes.

     --------  *******    -------   *******  ---------

CHINA SETS SIGHTS ON BOHAI BAY AS HIGH-TECH INDUSTRIAL CENTER

DATE: June 7, 1994 By P.T. Bangsberg, The Journal of Commerce

    HONG  KONG--Jun. 7--A big infrastructure program is under way to
create an economic  development  and  trade  area around Bohai Bay
in northern China, with the emphasis on new and high-technology and
upgrading of old industries.

  The government lists it among the regions to be developed first in
the next century because of its large import and export volume - half
the nation's total - and its trade relations with over 160 countries,
not least South Korea.

  The bay is an inlet of the Yellow Sea lapping Shandong province in
the south, Hebei on the west and Liaoning in the north. Its three
principal centers are Dalian in Liaoning, Qingdao in Shandong and
Tianjin, the inland port serving Beijing.

  On the coastline around the gulf, more than 40 ports have undertaken
expansion projects with overseas investment. They have combined
capacity accounting for more than 40 percent of the country's total.

  A proposed road network to unite the area will account for 13 percent
of China's  highway  mileage.  More  than  80  percent  will  be
expressways, including the country's longest from Shenyang in northern
Liaoning to Dalian; another links Beijing with Tianjin and on to its
sea gateway at Tanggu.

  A study was recently completed on a 55-mile bridge/tunnel running
north- south  across  the gulf between Lushun (Port Arthur) and
Penglai. The route is now covered only by ferry.

  The project aims to link 20 islands in the bay between Shandong and
Liaoning.  The  route,  targeted  for  completion  by  the year 2010,
would include a tunnel and nine bridges, two of which would barely
clear the water.

  Despite a cost forecast of up to 60 billion yuan (US$7 billion), 
further study has been ordered.

  Qingdao recently unveiled its blueprint for development, the
centerpiece of which is 10 new and high-tech projects and tourist
attractions each with investment of 100 million yuan.

  A bonded zone will be established to develop export, transit and
processing   trade   and  international  services.  Foreign  companies
and financial groups will be encouraged to invest as part of plans to
transform 50 large and medium-sized state enterprises into higher
productivity and profit centers, the plan says.

  "Two or three" foreign-funded banks will be permitted to operate in
the city, as well as "a large foreign-funded retailing enterprise and
10 small foreign-funded retailing enterprises."

  Among the first to take advantage of this wholesale upgrade was
Singapore's  Megaway  group. It will build a US$100 million industrial
park in Qingdao with the city's economic development agency.

  The two square miles adjacent to the city's bonded zone will be zoned
with special areas for Japan/South Korea, Hong Kong/Taiwan and the rest
of Asia.  The  first  portion  is  due for completion by mid-1995 and
the rest within three years.

  Megaway is an investment house with a number of Asian subsidiaries
dealing in trade, plastics, electronics and pharmaceuticals. It
previously invested  in  palm  oil  and  manmade  fiber  projects  in
Qingdao  and an electronics firm in Tianjin.

  The Qingdao bonded zone has approved 100 projects with funds totaling
US$63 million from both domestic and overseas investors.

  Through last year, Shandong had approved 13,000 foreign-funded
enterprises with contracted investment of US$12.45 billion.

  Exports from the province last year earned US$6 billion, an increase
of 27 percent over the 1992 tally, official figures show. Leather
products accounted for US$200 million of that, nearly half of which
wound up in the United States.

  Last month, provincial authorities said they would devolve approval
rights  on  foreign-backed projects to city and county levels in an
attempt to speed things up.

  Those involving investment of under US$30 million can now be handled
by subsidiary  agencies.  The  new  rules  stipulate  that
paperwork  must be completed "within five days, once and for all."

  At the northern end, Dalian's high-tech park has taken three years
and more  than  2  billion  yuan  to  create.  The  first  phase of
the Xinghai high-tech center,  covering  190,000  square feet, will be
base for computer programs and biological engineering. An area of two
square miles has been developed for general industrial projects.

******* CHINA LINK CLUB *** CHINA LINK CLUB *** CHINA LINK CLUB ******** 
*                                                                      *
C                                                                      C
*    For more information and related materials of CHINA LINK CLUB     *
H 		     Please send your e-mail to                        H 
*                                                                      * 
I                       [email-masked]                           I
*                                                                      *   
N       And define your SUBJECT line in the mail as follows:           N  
*                                                                      *
A         TO BE THE TEAM OF CHINA-LINK CLUB:     TEAM                  A
*         TO SUB/UNSUB TO CIEN:                  SUB or UNSUB          *
*         TO GET GENERAL HELP:                   HELP                  *
L         TO CONTRIBUTE NEWS:                    NEWS                  L
*         TO ADVERTISE OF YOUR BUSINESS:         ADV                   *
I         TO INQUIRE INFO OF CHINA-LINK CLUB:    CLUB                  I 
*         TO JOIN THE CHINA-LINK CLUB:           JOIN                  * 
N         TO READ BACK ISSUES OF CIEN            BACK                  N
*         TO RETRIEVE WORLD TRADE LEADS:         WTC                   *
K         TO JOIN YELLOW PAGES:                  YELLOW                K
*         TO REQUEST OTHER UNDEFINED:            QUESTION              *
*         TO RETRIEVE FREE IBM-PC SOFTWARES:     SHARE                 *
*         TO GET US_CHINA IMP/EXP DIRECTORY      BOOKS                 *
C                                                                      C
*              FAX:  317-743-5299                                      *
L      POSTAL MAIL:  CHINA LINK CLUB                                   L
*                    P.O. Box 3180, W. Lafayette, IN 47906, USA        *
U            E-MAIL: [email-masked]                              U
*                                                                      *
B                                                                      B
******* CHINA LINK CLUB *** CHINA LINK CLUB *** CHINA LINK CLUB ********