Subject: CSS Today #9409, November 9, 1994

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 1994 17:51:32 -0600

############################################################################
     T h e  E l e c t r o n i c   N e w s l e t t e r   o f   I F C S S
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=
           _____________      _____________      ______________
          /   _____     }}   /    _________}}   /    __________}}
         /   //    }____}}  {    {{________    {    {{_________
         |   ||    _____     \_________    }}   \__________    }} 
         \   \\____}    }}    _________}   }}    __________}   }}
_________ \____________// __{_____________// __{______________//____________
           
           ]]]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]]   ]]]]]]]  ]]]   ]]]
              ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]]  ]]   ]]
              ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]]]]]]]   ]] ]]
              ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]]    ]]]
              ]]]     ]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]]  ]]]   ]]]    ]]]    

%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=
Press Desk <[email-masked]>         November 9, 1994                No.9409
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=

IN THIS ISSUE:                                                   No of Lines
============================================================================
              *** _____ Electronic Press Conference ____ ***               
1. IFCSS President LUO Ning to Visit West Coast ......................... 12
2. IFCSS HQ Sets Schedule for Working Committees to Report Their Work .... 8

              *** ___________ Together We Can __________ ***
3. What "Proposition 187" Would Do; Readers Comments ................... 109 
4. "Proposition 187" Is Deadly Wrong .................................... 33

              *** ____________ Face to Face _____________***
5. Pro's and Con's on the Accusation on IFCSS WC Chairman (7 items) .... 112

              *** __________ In the Community __________ ***
6. Introduction to A New Publication: "Chinese Business Profile" ........ 65  

              *** _________ Reader's Response __________ ***
7. IFCSS's Action on Late Arrival Dependents (LAD) Welcomed ............. 14
8. IFCSS Press Desk publication "CSS Today" Praised ...................... 7
============================================================================

================= <<<<< Electronic Press Conference >>>>> ==================
1. IFCSS President LUO Ning to Visit West Coast ......................... 12
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]> 11/8/94 

                        IFCSS HQ News Release

IFCSS president LUO Ning will visit the West Coast from Nov. 9 to Nov. 11 to
meet with local CSS and Chinese community leaders and to explore possible
financial revenue from diffrent sources.  Dr. LUO Ning will be in Los Angeles
on Nov. 9 to Nov. 10 and in San Francisco on Nov. 11.  If you have any
suggestions, opinions, concerns on issues concerning CSS community in general
and IFCSS in particular that you would like to discuss with LUO Ning, please
send a note via email to <[email-masked]> or call IFCSS Headquater at
202-347-0017.  We will do our best to arrange a time for you to meet with
LUO Ning.

================= <<<<< Electronic Press Conference >>>>> ==================
2. IFCSS HQ Sets Schedule for Working Committees to Report Their Work .... 8
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
From: IFCSS Press Desk <[email-masked]>, 11/7/94

According to IFCSS HQ, a preliminary schedual has been set, starting from
November, to let its working committees regularily report their progress
on the work planned.  The working report will be posted on "CSS Today"
published by IFCSS Press Desk.  It is expected that on average there will be
at least one report per week for our IFCSS members.  Ms. XU Yingyin will be
in charge of the coordinating work.

====================== <<<<< Together We Can >>>>> =========================
3. What "Proposition 187" Would Do; Readers Comments ................... 109 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: YANG Chun <[email-masked]> 11/6/94
Forwarded by: HUANG Lin <[email-masked]>

What "Proposition 187" Would do:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Public school -- The noncitizen children of illegal  immigrants would be
ineligible to  attend public schools.   On Jan 1, school districts would
have to begin verifying the the legal status of new students.  This provision
conflicts with  the Supreme court decision in 1982 guaranteeing public
education through high school for all children.  If the lawsuit is expected
to determine whether the court would uphold or overturn the 1982 decision.

Higher education -- Illegal immigrants would be ineligible to 
attend community colleges, Cal. State Univ. and the Univ. of Cal.  

Health -- Illegal immigrants would be ineligible for all public
health services, except for emergency care and delivery of baby.

Welfare -- Illegal immigrants are already ineligible for the major welfare
programs.

Law enforcement -- Officials providing health, welfare and public education
services would be required to report suspected illegal immigrants. All state 
and local law enforcement agencies would have to verify the residency status
of arrested person suspected of being here illegally.

(From "San Diego Union-tribune", Sunday 6, 1994.  Typed by C. Y. Peng)

Readers Comments (by Chun Yang Peng):
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. It is against the US long term standing on human rights.
2. It is conflict with the supreme court 1982 ruling.
3. It could create much more violence and gangs among which endangering the
   public safety.
4. Legal Colored people will face much more discriminations in getting
   public services including attending public school.  The school officials
   would find illegal immigrate suspect, investigate all suspects.  Only
   Latinos and Asians are the most suspected groups. 
5. Attending hospital, the hospital officials will verify the legal status
   of suspected patients.  It is not too difficult to imagine that Latinos,
   Mexicans and Asias would be waiting one or two more hours in in the
   hospital before you get the service even though you pay the same social
   security tax!
6. Many more non-immunized kids would also endanger the public health in
   the society.
7. Chinese children in the US were deprived of the right of attending public
   schools.  Only after about 1936' This unjust law was terminated.
8. A statistics show most of the Chinese in CA support Prop 187. (Strange).
   Even though, Chinese are law-abiding group in the US, the illegal
   immigrants are very few. However, the public do not think so because of
   the media such as CNN's racist report that illegal Chinese come to the US
   10,000 each day.  Further more, if you think you are legal immigrant and
   will benefit from prop 187 simple because the true illegal immigrants will
   be expelled from the public service, you are wrong.  If your kid was
   denying of attending hospital or school simply the state official can not
   find your document in computer files then it is too late to realize how
   harmful it would be to you.
9. IFCSS, IFCSS -CBS-IC should have a consistent opinion on human right, one
   should believe one thing or not.  If you truely believe human right, you
   should to voice your view against prop 187.
10.Chinese have 100 reasons to against it.  If they support it, to my view,
   this group is a selfish group.  If you only care about yourself, do not
   care others, eventually, you yourself can not defend yourself against
   injustice!

   (Blacks in Detroit ever went to the street to protest against the
   injustified court ruling that the two white men who killed a Chinese was
   not guilty.)

   Can we Chinese also do something we truely believe in?!

11.President Clinton is against prop. 187.
12.Chinese in California, please vote AGAINST prop. 187 on Tuesday 11/08/1994!

====================== <<<<< Together We Can >>>>> =========================
4. "Proposition 187" Is Deadly Wrong .................................... 33
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: HUANG Lin <[email-masked]> 11/7/94

"Proposition 187" is deadly wrong in any sense. 

1. It deprives 400,000 school children's rights to learn. Everyone  
understands how important is the education to kids. While legalized
immigrants have the opportunity to get scholarships to attend expensive
private schools (my daughter Mi Mi is in the government sponsored program 
to apply Federal Scholarship for private schools), most illegal kids have
no other choices but to stay with public schools, or nothing at all. Not only
those thrown out of school kids will create immediate social problems like
drugs, gangs, and violence, but also create long term negative effect on 
those kids for their life time, and even their children's children. 

2. America does not offer blanket Medicare AT ALL. The public health care is
already the minimal. If all the illegals are thrown out of the most needed
but the very essential medical care, then the epidemic caused by this
Proposition 187 will haunt the whole society for years to come, and cost far
more than it can save to the society.

3. America does not offer blanket Welfare AT ALL. There is no savings
whatsoever embeded within this Proposition 187.

The outcome of this proposition 187 is that, 400,000 kids out of school, a
formidable pool for gangsters, drugs, violence, crimes. Millions of  people
out of medical treatment, with probably tens of thousands with deadly
epidemic diseases. Not only that, if we, legal residents and non-immigrants,
just happen to have the bad luck to find ourselves in a public hospital,
badly in need of medical care, and have no proper ID with us, then what would
happen in a matter of a few minutes? Think about it. The notorious Chinese
Exclusion Act was broomed first targeting a larger group of people.
Eventually it boiled down only on Chinese. Think about this.

Mi Mi

======================== <<<<< Face to Face >>>>> ==========================
5. Pro's and Con's on the Accusation on a IFCSS WC Chairman (7 items) ...112
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Editor's Note: Since we posted some readers response on accusation of HUANG
               Lin as "CCP spy", many friends inquired for original mails.
               Here we provide a full coverage and hope this will put a
               period to this issue.  We trust our CSS fellows judgement.
               Further disputes should be handled by IFCSS SVC. (Also note
               that "MiMi Sir" is a name of HUANG Lin used on netland). 
               
(1) From: XXXX Xxxxx <[email-masked]> 10/28/94
    Forwarded by: [email-masked]

Mi Mi:
I have to tell you, many of your remarks make people, not only one,  feel
you are helping the CCP. Just a reminder, please take care.

XX

(2) From: LU Wen-he <[email-masked]>, 10/28/94
    Forwarded by: [email-masked]

Huang Lin:
If you are a communist, then I will try my best to expose you.  If you are
not a communist, then stop licking Chinese communist's ass so willingly and
so eagerly.  Answer my question: are you a communist?

Lu Wenhe

(3) From: Xin Ku <[email-masked]>
    Source: [email-masked], [email-masked], 10/28/94 

Huang Lin:
No need to get so emotional, simply tell us a "YES" or "NO".
Communist or not does not change your last name or first name.

XIN Ku

(4) From: WANG Ray <[email-masked]>
    Source: [email-masked] 10/29/94

Councilor Lu Wenhe's accusation against Lin Huang reminds me of the             
famous Senator Mcarthy of the 50's in the US when thousands of innocent         
people were persecuted because the Senator branded them as "communists."        
But many brave people stood up to Mcarthy and exposed his dirty tricks--        
playing on people's paranoid or fear for communists so that people like         
him can be dictators.  Yes, "communists" like Nazis are bad names in this       
country.  And that's why Councilor Lu chose such a bad and yet fearful          
accusation against HUANG Lin, someone who has done some real work in            
defending the rights for our fellow Chinese.  If tomorrow "Democratic           
Fighter" becomes a dirty word, Councilor Lu would be readily using that         
word attacking anyone he doesn't like.  One does not have to imagine what       
kind of tune he would be playing, say, if he was back in China.                 
                                                                                
Too bad, Councilor LU was born too late.  Otherwise, he would have become       
a big shot by branding his compatriots as communists.  In case he doesn't       
know in this culture people disgust false informants much as Chinese hate
spies.  Try, if you don't believe, to go around and tell Americans that         
and they will tell you right to your face what you are.  I'd better         
reserve that for your audience, Councilor Lu.                                   
                                                                                
One netter says that he will never forget this name LU Wenhe for what he       
has done.  My advice is why bother.  You know when needed Councilor LU          
would easily change his identity and sing a completely different song.          
                                                                                
It takes all kinds of birds to make a forest interesting!                       
                                                                     
Ray Wang

(5) From: [email-masked]
    Source: <[email-masked]>, 10/28/94

I agree with XIAO's opinion.  Mi Mi is a good man.  He and other members of
CBS-IC did a great and wonderful job in the past several months.  Everybody
should appreciate their efforts and great contributions to our Chinese 
community in this country.   We love him as well as those who love to serve
our community no matter they are communists or not.  I believe majority of
us hate to see those disgusting messages.  Our enemy is not the communist or
communist government but those who like to attack others personally and do
harmful things to our Chinese.

(6) From: DU Ron <[email-masked]>
    Source: <[email-masked]>, 10/29/94

To  suspect  someone being a communist is a big offense, here in US. Based on 
what CBS-IC did, to suspect Mi Mi is totally groundless. I see this accuser as
a defamer toward the whole Chinese community. 

I personally admire Mi Mi's contribution toward our community. His
participative attitude is what we Chinese long lacks. I regard our fighting as
a great chance for us Chinese to unite and evolve, into a modern American
ethinic group.

Ron Du 

(7) From: LIN Lili <[email-masked]>
          Source: <[email-masked]>, 10/30/94

The person who asked the question "are you a communist?" has a mediocre
mind. The worst thing communist ever did was to discriminate its own
countryman. It is equivalently bad for any party in the world to do the
same. In one word, the bad people are those who uses media to fan hatred
against innocent people because of their racial, family, ethnical, religious,
national and sexual background.

If there is any such charge against Mi Mi Sr., he is guaranteed of my support.

lin

====================== <<<<< In the Community >>>>> ========================
6. Introduction to a New Publication: "Chinese Business Profile" ........ 65  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From HU Sen <[email-masked]> 11/7/94

             Introduction to "Chinese Business Profile"
             ------------------------------------------

"Chinese Business Profile" is a newsletter published by Information Exchange
Services, <InfoEx>, a non-profit body serving the Chinese American business
community.

The newsletter is edited by a group of volunteers for the purpose of
increasing communication among businesses owned by current and former Chinese
students and scholars (CSS) in the US.  The newsletter will also be
distributed to relevant private and government organizations.

The newsletter will mainly contain the following columns.

1. News and analysis, i.e. economic development in the US and China in
particular.

2. Companies.  One or two CSS companies will be introduced to the community.
This will not only let us to share their success stories and learn from their
experiences, but also to help to have their names known to the community and
to enhance the cooperation between Chinese business community.

3. Tips and leads.

Before the first issue meeting the public, we would like to hear your
suggestions.  We also welcome your contribution to these columns.

To assist us on the "Companies" column, we are collaborating with IFCSS
Chinese Community Information Center (CCIC) to conduct a survey on CSS
companies.  If you own a CSS company, we would appreciate it if you could
fill out this form:

    +-----------------------------------------------------------------+
    |   Company Profile Survey on Businesses Owned by Current and     |
    |           Former Chinese Students and Scholars in US            |
    |                                                                 |
    |Name:                                                            |
    |Address:                                                         |
    |Telephone:                                                       |
    |Fax:                                                             |
    |Officers:                                                        |
    |SIC (optional):                                                  |
    |Description:                                                     |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------+
   
and return the completed form by mail, fax or email to:

                     Yuan Jiang
                     300 M St, SW, Rm 708
                     Washington, DC  20024
                     Fax: 202-554-1246
                     Email: [email-masked]

If you know any CSS companies, please help us to pass on this form to your
friends.  If you are interested in subscribing the newsletter, you could also
send your request to above address.

If you would like to contribute to this work, please contact either above or:

                     Sen Hu
                     11 Reler Lane
                     Somerset, NJ 08873
                     Fax: 908-821-6354
                     Email: [email-masked]

===================== <<<<< Reader's Response >>>>> ========================
7. IFCSS's Action on Late Arrival Dependents (LAD) Welcomed ............. 14
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: Zhao Weng <[email-masked]> 11/7/94

Dear Editors,

IT is nice to know that IFCSS HQ resumes work concerning CSPA LADs. My girl
friend is a LAD who filed the application and passed her interview last Oct.
A visa number wasn't available for her till this Aug. when she passed her
21st birthday. There is more difficulty for her to study and live here. I
hope IFCSS can continue to work on the LAD issue. Hopefully, there will be
a good final resolution on this issue so these LADs could have better chance
here.

Thanks for your time and efforts. Best wishes!

Z.W.

===================== <<<<< Reader's Response >>>>> ========================
8. IFCSS Press Desk publication "CSS Today" Praised ...................... 7
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: CHEN Dong <[email-masked]>, 11/7/94

I just read the recent issue of CSS Today. It's pretty good. Please keep on
the good work.  The letter from Luo Ning to Clinton is a good move. Hope HQ
keeps on this track. I also suggest HQ send detailed profiles about those
dissidents, such as Wei Jingsheng, Qin Yongmin,Chen Lantao, Chen Ziming, etc.
to Mr. Clinton.

Dong

############################################################################
|                  Editor of this issue: LIANG Guihe                       |
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -|
|       IFCSS, 733 15th St. N.W., Suite 440, Washington, DC 20005.         |
|               Phone: (202)347-0017; Fax: (202)347-0018                   |
| ________________________________________________________________________ |
| The Press_Desk serves for multichannel communications among CSS & IFCSS. |
| Please send your comments, questions, criticisms and anything concerning |
| a healthy establishment of IFCSS to:          <[email-masked]>          |
|                                                                          |
| To subscribe to IFCSS Press_Desk publications, please send mail to       |
|                      [email-masked]                                  |
| with the mail body:  sub PBS-L last_name first_name (for signing on)     |
|                 or:  unsub PBS-L last_name first_name (for signing off)  |
| For more information about IFCSS, its Service Program and publications,  |
| ftp/gopher to <ifcss.org> or use mosaic (www) to: http://ifcss.org:8001/ |
############################################################################