Subject: CSS Today #9410, November 11,1994
From: Ifcss Hq <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list CCNL <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 13:00:17 -0500

############################################################################
     T h e  E l e c t r o n i c   N e w s l e t t e r   o f   I F C S S
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=
           _____________      _____________      ______________
          /   _____     }}   /    _________}}   /    __________}}
         /   //    }____}}  {    {{________    {    {{_________
         |   ||    _____     \_________    }}   \__________    }}
         \   \\____}    }}    _________}   }}    __________}   }}
_________ \____________// __{_____________// __{______________//____________

           ]]]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]]   ]]]]]]]  ]]]   ]]]
              ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]]  ]]   ]]
              ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]]]]]]]   ]] ]]
              ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]]    ]]]
              ]]]     ]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]]  ]]]   ]]]    ]]]

%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=
Press Desk <[email-masked]>         November 11, 1994               No.9410
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=

IN THIS ISSUE:                                                   No of Lines
============================================================================
              *** _____ Electronic Press Conference ____ ***
1. IFCSS HQ Take Steps to Nominate WEI Jingshen
            for the 1995 Nobel Peace Prize .............................. 36

              *** _________ Under the Sunshine _________ ***
2. IFCSS HQ Work Review (October 17-30, 1994) ........................... 97

              *** __________ Together We Can ___________ ***
3. Memo from LUO Ning to Council on Cross Term Phone Bill Reimbursement...51
            Appendix: Memo from XIN Ku to LUO Ning ...................... 46

              *** ____________ Face to Face _____________***
4. SVC's Reply to CHEN Dong on His Appeal ............................... 32

              *** __________ In the Community __________ ***
5. Update on CSS Organizations Presidents Net Information ............... 24

              *** ________ Information Sharing _________ ***
6. Chinese Magazine Service ............................................. 16
============================================================================

================= <<<<< Electronic Press Conference >>>>> ==================
1. IFCSS HQ Take Steps to Nominate WEI Jingshen
     for the 1995 Nobel Peace Prize ..................................... 36
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 From: XU Yingyin, HQ Executive Director <[email-masked]>
 To:   IFCSS Council <[email-masked]>
 Subj: Nomination of WEI Jingsheng for the 1995 Nobel Peace Prize
 Date: Nov. 8, 1994

On October 3, 1994, LUO Ning signed his name, on behalf of IFCSS, to join
Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi and Senator Bill Bradley in nominating Mr. WEI
Jingsheng for the 1995 Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of his outstanding
contribution to China's pro-democracy movement over the past fifteen years
and his "courageous commitment to human rights and fundamental freedoms."
We were proud to be one of the few who supported this initiative, as we were
fully aware of its significance in promoting improvement in China's human
rights situation.  As a follow-up to that, we would like to do the following,
for which we would ask the council's collaboration.

1. IFCSS would like to appeal to all CSS to participate in a signature drive
to support this nomination in their campus community.  In particular, HQ
hopes that each council member will take the responsibility of reaching out
to at least five major universities/research institutes in his or her own
regions for the purpose of publicizing this event and soliciting signatures
from our American friends.

3. HQ suggests that all council members make an effort to attend two or more
major CSSA parties in their regions during the Thanksgiving and Christmas/New
Year holidays to speak directly to CSS on the importance of this nomination
and gain their support.  LUO Ning and the HQ staff will be attending some of
the events in the East Coast together with some council members.

4. Please inform the HQ of your plan by November 17 so that HQ can make
necessary arrangement to cover some major universities that no IFCSS officer
has volunteered to visit.

5. HQ will appoint the HR committee to coordinate all effort within and
outside of IFCSS and report the progress to HQ by the end of December.

Thank you for your attention.  Your cooperation in this matter will be
greatly appreciated.

====================== <<<<< Under the Sunshine >>>>> ======================
2. IFCSS HQ Work Review (October 17-30, 1994) ........................... 97
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 From: YANG Jie <[email-masked]>, 11/9/94

           IFCSS HQ Work Weekly Review (October 17 - 23, 1994)

-- Worked with Jeff LINUs Office in revising and completing the general
ledgers and financial reports of IFCSS during the months of July, August and
September.

-- Oct. 18, CBS Incident Committee, IFCSS president LUO Ning and OCA,
Committee 100 met with CBS staff and Connie Chung during a luncheon,
expressing opinions and complaints of Chinese community.

-- Oct. 19, Contacted IGS Edith Lorah for third quarter enrollment data of
IFCSS insurance program.

-- Oct. 20, CSS Today third issue released, a special report on recent
accomplishments on CBS Incident.

-- Oct. 20, IFCSS HQ officers met with IGS president Jerry Hopkins,
negotiating the terms for the 1995 insurance program.

-- Oct. 20, President LUO Ning received telephone interview on IFCSS's past
achievements by Asian Week correspondent Mr. Mahlon Meyer, stationed in
Boston.

-- Oct. 21, Cooperative agreement between Wischina Ginseng Corp and IFCSS
signed by CHEN Huailin and YANG Jie.

-- Oct. 21, CBS apology aired in its Evening News.

-- Oct. 21, YANG Jie attended PRC embassy party as individual citizen and
student leader of University of Maryland, College Park, and met with newly
arrived education counselor Mr. HE Jinqiu and second secretary ZHAO Xichao.

-- Oct. 22-23, LUO Ning attended Conference of Center for Modern China at
Princeton. LUO Ning emphazied the importance of community development in China.

-- Oct. 23, YANG Jie attended a working party in Northern Virginia, in which
The United Chinese Students and Scholars of Washington-Baltimore Metropolitan
Area (UCSSA-WBMA, lian xi hui for short) was formally established.  Six
campuses' representatives were elected  as  founding members of Board of
Directors with JIN Lanheng of UMCP as President and CHEN Jian of GMU as VP.

Weekly Review (October, 24 - 29, 1994)

-- Oct. 24, a cooperative agreement between Hsu's Ginseng Enterprises, Inc.
and IFCSS was reached between Sharon Hsu and YANG Jie. IFCSS Chinese
Newsletter will continue to advertise for Hsu's ginseng as it did in previous
year.

-- Oct. 24, IFCSS HQ sent out letter regarding XU Yi's encounter of
obstruction in passport renewal to consulate general of PRC embassy in New
York and Washington, DC.

-- Oct. 24, IFCSS HQ office manager YANG Jie responded to GUO Yushen and
others regarding their request for additional reimburement of 6da travel
expenses;  The same letter was faxed to Li Jinghong,  IFCSS council memebr
of  west region;

-- Oct. 25, IFCSS HQ received a draft letter from QI Jusheng, IFCSS council
member of south region, on protesting unconstitutional behavior of some PRC
embassy staff from consulate general in Houston; a draft of official notice
to US state department was also received from him; In order for a strong and
legal action,  HQ had asked  Mr. QI Jusheng to provide witness account to his
unfair treatment; he agreed to do so in the next couple of days;  Ms. LU
Shuping was also contacted for more information about her recent unpleasant
dealings with  PRC embassy staff in New York consulate;

-- IFCSS HQ coordinated projects proposed  by working committees; XU Yingyin
is compiling a report  on recent developments of those projects ;

-- Oct. 27, IFCSS HQ received financial reports of IFCSS of July, August and
September from Jeff LINUs office;

-- The success of CBS Incident received overwhelming applauds from CSS
community; On Oct. 28, President LUO Ning delivered an e-mail statement,
highly speaking of the hard efforts on the part of CBS-IC.In the same
statement, he encouraged more active involvement from grassroots in the
affairs of  CSS;

-- IFCSS HQ Continued to process refunds and answered questions about IFCSS
insurance program;

-- IFCSS HQ is negotiating with several travel companies in order to provide
better membership services in upcoming holiday season;

-- Oct. 29, President LUO Ning was invited to attend the annual convention of
the Alliance of Hong Kong Chinese in the U.S., in which Kenneth Kwong was
re-elected as president,  met with Richard Bush from Congress Foreign Affairs
Liaison office, Mickey Spiegel from Human Rights Watch/Asia, Michael David
from Chinese University of Hong Kong, and Mr. WANG Juntao, special speaker
at the convention's evening banquet. After banquet, LUO Ning also discussed
with MA Z.Ming about cooperative effort in studying and supporting a project
of peaceful transition in China after DENG.

-- Oct. 30, LUO Ning met with President SHI Yong of Greater China, exploring
possible cooperation.

====================== <<<<< Together We Can >>>>> =========================
3. Memo from LUO Ning to Council on Cross Term Phone Bill Reimbursement...51
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Fr: LUO Ning <[email-masked]>, 11/8/94
 To: Council, IFCSS
 Re: Cross Term Phone Bill Reimbursement

Recently, it has come to my attention that two council members of the finance
committee, Mr. LU Wenhe and XIN Ku, asked for explanation from HQ about
reimbursing phone bills of several council members of the 5th term. I would
first of all express my heartfelt thanks to both of them, who have been of so
much help to our current HQ, not only in terms of drafting 1994-95 IFCSS
budget but also their continuos monitoring of IFCSS financial situation ever
since we were in charge. I therefore write this memo which shall serve the
purpose of clarifying some of the facts regarding the issue of cross term
phone bill reimbursements.

One fact that needs clarifying is that it is not true we reimbursed those
above mentioned phone bills enormously beyond budget. As stated in the 1993-
94 IFCSS budget, the total operating expenses of the council were $10,000.
By the end of the fiscal year, $6,544.82 were expended. The reimbursements
processed by current HQ amounted to a total $4,201.18. So, the combined
figure reaches $10,746.00 which is $746.00 beyond budget.  While seven some
hundred dollars are not a small amount, it can be reasonably understood that
such an amount is not too far away from the original budget allocated for
council operations.

Moreover, we should also understand that it may not be appropriate to place
all those phone bills under council operations category, because several
concerned 5th term council members were members of 6th convention's task
force. Some amount of those bills should be more properly reimbursed under
the expenses for 6da. In this regard, I would say that all of our current
elected officers should appreciate their hard work in preparing the 6th
convention and in maintaining a smooth transition across two terms.

Belatedly, it is important for me to state here that the operating expenses
of last council and current one are determined by different budgets of two
fiscal years. The reimbursements we had processed for 5th council members
will neither change the way we will process reimbursements of 6th council
members nor will they affect the amount we will approve for their phone bill
reimbursements. Any argument for linking these two different things is ill-
founded or beyond professional commonsense.

Obviously, we are indeed facing a stringent financial condition this year.
However, we should not be pessimistic. We are lucky to have quite some
capable professionals (of course Mr. LU Wenhe is one of them) on board.  I
do believe, as always, with the joint efforts of HQ staff and council members,
we can do more and do better. Given this belief, I had proposed to the council
to set up a fund-raising task force to be coordinated by LU Wenhe. Given the
very same belief, I'm now coming to California to explore "new frontiers" for
generating revenues for our ever promising IFCSS.

Thank you for attention. Thank you for your concerns about this reimbursement
issue or any issues or questions related to our proud IFCSS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appendix: Memo from XIN Ku to LUO Ning .................................. 46
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 From: XIN Ku, Northeast Region Council Member
 To:   LUO Ning, IFCSS President
 Re:   September Council telephone reimbursement
 Date: November 5, 1994

Dear Dr. LUO Ning:

I just received Mr. YANG Yie forwarded IFCSS Financial Statement for Sept.
In this statement, under council's account I noticed the following items:
Telephone reimbursement:
9/20/94     LIU Cheng    $1,023.94      Beginning Balance:  $ 2,921.26
9/20/94     QI Bing      $  488.40
9/20/94     DING YunGui  $  265.72      Ending Balance:     $ 4,201.18
Out of that $ 4,201.18 you posted on the council's account, not one cent was
spent by the current council members, except LIU Cheng's one thousand dollars
which may even not for this term.  Council members annual telephone
reimbursement budget is $ 3,840.00 , you have over spent 500 dollars yet
without actually reimburse one cent for the current council members.

My questions:
1) Without informing the council or the finance committee you have spent
every penny of their annual budget and yet not for the purpose of the current
council, is there any wrongdoing?
2) Are these reimbursement reasonable?
     August  QI Bing        $  959.04
             DING Yungui    $  316.88
             ZHOU Hongguang $1,147.20
     September
             LIU Cheng      $1,023.94
             DING YunGui    $  265.72
             QI Bing        $  488.40
       Total                $4,201.18
3) You have spent all the council's reimbursement money, which is set for
the purpose of the current council member's communication (account #26870,
annual budget is $3,840.00), what are you going to do with the current council
member's reimbursement?
4) How much do you still plan to reimburse, or have reimbursed since September
20 for the none current council members?
5) DO WE HAVE A BUDGET OR NOT?

Sincerely,

XIN Ku
Cc: ifcssvc

====================== <<<<<  Face to Face  >>>>> ==========================
4. SVC's Reply to CHEN Dong on His Appeal ............................... 32
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 From:   SVC <[email-masked]>
 To:     CHEN Dong
 Date:   Nov. 7th, 1994
 Re:     The Appeal regarding to implementing 6DA Resolutions 604, 606

To respond the appeal by Mr. CHEN Dong of University of Maryland regarding
to the implementation of IFCSS 6th Congress Resolutions 604 and 606, the
official statement of the Supervisory Committee of IFCSS (SVC) is the
following.

In this July, The 6th Congress of IFCSS has adopted Resolutions 604 and 606,
which stipulate to establish the Chinese Students and Scholars Affair
Committee (CSSAC) and the network between the IFCSS and local student leaders
to provide better service to our community.

SVC has noticed that the Headquarters has not implemented the aforementioned
Resolutions in any formal fashion, as it is deemed proper. The first quarter
of the 6th term administration has passed.  However, both CSSAC and
the network have not been established.  They were not even included in the
Headquarters' working plan formally presented to the Council.

It is the responsibility of IFCSS president to carry out the Resolutions
adopted by the IFCSS Congress. The Resolutions should be fully implemented
without any compromise.

We like to urge the Headquarters to take immediate and proper actions to fully
implement the aforementioned Resolutions without further delay. Any further
delay would not  only constitute a violation to the IFCSS Constitutions and
Bylaws, it would also not be in the best interest of IFCSS and its general
constituents, the Chinese students and scholars in this country.

LU Ping (signed)
Acting SVC coordinator

===================== <<<<< In the Community >>>>> =========================
5. Update on CSS Organizations Presidents Net Information ............... 24
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IFCSS Press Desk Note: One of the major steps taken by this term HQ has been
                       strengthening the existing Presidents Net.  This is
                       aimed to enhance the communication among grass-roots
                       CSS organizations and between HQ and its member org's.
                       In the first issue of CSS Today (#9401, 10/10/94), we
                       carried an introduction of the P-Net.  Below please
                       find an update of the P-net information.  IFCSS HQ
                       urges its member CSS organizations to join the P-net.

From: ZHOU Dongsheng <[email-masked]>, 11/10/94

Dear Presidents of CSS organizations,

Recently, we have received many responses from the presidents of CSS
organizations all over the States in response to our call for joining the
Presidents' net (P-net).  We sincerely welcome you!   For a better service,
please send your message to the network manager XU Zhongkai at

                   <[email-masked]>

The presidents' network, P-net, was originally founded in August 1993.  P-net
promotes communications among CSS communities, helps sharing working
experiences and promotes nation-wide activities.  The P-net address is

                     <[email-masked]>

==================== <<<<< Information Sharing >>>>> =======================
6. Chinese Magazine Service ............................................. 16
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: EXPLORE CHINESE BOOKS <[email-masked]>, 11/10/94

                  Chinese Magazine Service

YOU may have missed your favorite Chinese magazines since you stepped on
this foreign land.  Look around, English alphabets are full of your eyes.
How do you refresh yourself after you get home from a hard-working day in
school or company?   How about ... a cup of Chinese tea, and ... a nice
Chinese magazine?

EXPLORE Chinese Books may send you the familiar Chinese square characters,
pretty articles, and fresh air from your beloved homeland.  All periodicals
published in China, of news and publication digest, literature and art,
entertainment and sport, love and marriage, family and children, education
and academic journals ... are all available from this service.

WANT more information?  You can contact them by e-mail: <[email-masked]>,
by fax at (608) 238-3586, or by postal mail:

                 P.O.Box 55436,
                 Madison, WI 53705-9236.

to request a catalog book and order form, and find more ...

(EXPLORE Chinese Books)

############################################################################
|       Editor: LIANG Guihe          Deputy Coordinator: YUAN Wei          |
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -|
|       IFCSS, 733 15th St. N.W., Suite 440, Washington, DC 20005.         |
|               Phone: (202)347-0017; Fax: (202)347-0018                   |
| ________________________________________________________________________ |
| The Press_Desk serves for multichannel communications among CSS & IFCSS. |
| Please send your comments, questions, criticisms and anything concerning |
| a healthy establishment of IFCSS to:          <[email-masked]>          |
|                                                                          |
| To subscribe to IFCSS Press_Desk publications, please send mail to       |
|                      [email-masked]                                  |
| with the mail body:  sub PBS-L last_name first_name (for signing on)     |
|                 or:  unsub PBS-L last_name first_name (for signing off)  |
| For more information about IFCSS, its Service Program and publications,  |
| ftp/gopher to <ifcss.org> or use mosaic (www) to: http://ifcss.org:8001/ |
############################################################################